Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

Yeah, but are they rocking fresh Clarks dbs and shawl collar cardigans?

2. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

No, and I'd rather they didn't.

3. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I was going to say we need a goth-ninja response to those vids, then I realized how much rick owens has been embraced by rappers who are actually legit

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Holy shit, that is seriously the worst I have ever seen petit standards look. What the fuck, people, STOP TUCKING YOUR SHIRTS INTO THEM. When the fuck is that from?

oh, and then he untucks it, awesome

man i wish this person was posting on swd

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

So, as someone said, there is no "wholesale" in Japan the way there is in the US. Actually, when I brought up wholesale prices with Jun Hashimoto at Pitti, he was a little confused, since he's been out of Japan exclusively for so long. All the prices are retail prices, and what a retailer pays essentially gives a +80% margin to the retailer. So, if the retail price is $1.80, the Japanese retailer pays $1.00. Now, the problem is that the US retailer cannot survive on this margin. Consumer habits are such that such a low markup is supported in Japan. (So, ironically, people wanting discounts and 70% off make everything more expensive). So, the American retailers get goods at $1.00 "wholesale". Now, the import tariffs are easily 25%. You can see how detailed things are, here: http://www.customs.go.jp/english/tariff/2012_1/index.htm, so the overhead to figuring out all this stuff must be added into the cost of dong business. Also, Japanese designers insist on some of the most expensive forms of shipping, so, if you are doing one small shipment, shipping costs can easily be, say, an additional $0.05 on your dollar. So, even before markup, what costs $1.80 in Japan has cost you $1.30 to get to your US store. US boutiques generally have markups between 2.3 to 2.5x landed wholesale. So, at 2.3x, that item that costs $1.80 in Japan costs $3.00 in the States, at a pretty conservative markup.

Incidentally, stop gripping about customs charges, You are already benefiting from arbitrage. Asking retailers to mark things as gifts, etc.. is actually illegal, since you are essentially asking someone to commit tax fraud. I mean, if someone does it, hey, you win. But it's stupid to insist that people use this practice. Same with Paypal fees and having your account locked because you decide to abuse "personal" payments. If you break terms of use, you really don't have much to gripe about.

6. Lane

Lane Senior member

well, I wish more retailers would mark low value at least, a lot of the SZ affiliates have done that for me, and im glad.

7. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Wouldn't that mean that designers in Japan are making twice (or more) what designers elsewhere are earning for an equivalently priced product?

8. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Its so perfect that that guy covers Childish Gambino

9. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Props to Saager from SF affiliate Neighbor. I was going back and forth with him about a sizing question on a Frank Leder shirt and he emailed Frank and got his recommendation for me. :slayer:

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

No. It means that the retailer makes less.

11. Lane

Lane Senior member

someone should make a closet thread, im interested to see how big peoples wardrobes are, cuz I am kinda worried im venturing into hoarding territory. I don't have an insane amount but each piece is fairly spensive, and I still have go to items I wear way more than others. A few years ago having more than one pair of shoe was a big deal for me, lol.

the SZ thread makes me feel a bit more sane, lol

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

12. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

i think there is one somewhere

13. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

there's a closet thread on sufu, but it's weak. i think a closet thread would be interesting.

14. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Thanks for the info LA Guy. It mostly confirmed what I thought, and is sort of discouraging ... haha.

I agree with you that everyone wanting stuff at deep discount makes things more expensive in general. Waiting for stuff to go on sale in Japan is often very fruitless since most of the good stuff sells at full price, and waiting for anything more than 30% off almost guarantees you won't get it.

15. Meis

Meis Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.