• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

very nice fok which last?

That is the 4444, which fits me best. Size 9 UK, and I am usually a 43 in Common Projects, and between a 10.5-11 in nearly all other shoes/sneakers. Some website said that Trickers "fit small". I think that they were trying to troll their own customers. None of the lasts fit really small, but the 4444 has a wider forefoot, which I need, but the heel is the same as per the other lasts.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quote:

I think practicality really depends on context; I had a friend who got more wear out of a neon jumpsuit than most of styleforum has from their wings and horns.  If you're in the right crowd the 'party clothes' are going to get enough wear.  Your second point is probably a hit, though.

That said, are there any online shops that carry more than a few items from those lines?

Seven New York was always part of that trend.

I think that I did a pretty good job with both my pairs of Trickers, but in both cases, I cribbed off existing ideas and modified according to my tastes (changed the color and details a bit, essentially, in the second, I changed the color of the suede and the model), so they were not altogether original ideas. I'm a pretty decent stylist, but I'm not a designer (in the contemporary, not the traditional, sense of the phrases.)

I want to know who got these MTO Trickers - I would let that guy design a pair for me:

product_main_image.asp

Great understanding of texture, color, balance.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but I've thought about this a few times. I think the time has passed for those guys, particularly BW and Jeremy Scott.
Like there was that whole bloghouse era in 2007 and it all reached critical mass then, but things have just shifted lately. And when they were at their peak popularity, when everything was neon and MIA was (almost) relevant and helped make those BW flying squirrel sweatshirts popular and **** like that SF was into AA APC Clarks from what I can understand, so it would have never caught on here for sure. I'm sure there are the party boys out there that still wear it but that subset has always had it's own thing going on, outside of the maltstream trends.

I was actually pretty heavily into that scene for awhile, and I guess I still am kinda. 2007 was like the golden year of fidget, when the whole electronic scene blew up, and you had Justice and MSTRKRFT and Boys Noize and then later a whole wave of artists. I wasn't really into fashion at all then, but people were throwing a lot of kinda underground parties, and I actually Djed at a bunch of them; you'd rent out a church or a gay club on an off night or something and hire a few DJs and charge ten bucks a head and fill the place. People would dress in a budget Bernard Wilhelm style just to be kinda goofy, indian headdresses and neon and furry things and **** and it was kinda awesome. Then at some point like two years ago the whole thing had a violent personality shift. I think what happened is the guido/bro types kinda caught on that there were hot, semi-naked girls on drugs at these things, so all of a sudden there were a whole bunch of guys in Ed Hardy looking kinda sullen except when the DJ played the Jay-Z remix. Now at any sort of concert like that I can pick out the people I'd want to talk to because they're not wearing neon.

So that makes sense, but I still think you can go for something wilder without looking dated. I'd really like to see some nutty **** on here.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"I mix street wear with high fashion. It's never been seen before."
Indeed.

And, um "high fashion urban people"? I'm guessing that he doesn't realize that "urban" is/was a euphemism for "black".

The real trick here is to figure out whether GQ is trolling him, and whether he realizes this. I like his saying that he got on the Jil Sander bandwagon late (well, 12 years after the menswear line launched, and he doesn't seem to understand that while Jil Sander had a hand in J+, she had no had in her eponymous line) and that Raf Simons is "dark", and "trill ****".

If they are trolling him, and I can't believe that they are not, it's kinda sad, because he might be a legitimately stylish guy, but he lacks the background and vocabulary to properly articulate his opinions.

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

And, um "high fashion urban people"? I'm guessing that he doesn't realize that "urban" is/was a euphemism for "black".
The real trick here is to figure out whether GQ is trolling him, and whether he realizes this. I like his saying that he got on the Jil Sander bandwagon late (well, 12 years after the menswear line launched, and he doesn't seem to understand that while Jil Sander had a hand in J+, she had no had in her eponymous line) and that Raf Simons is "dark", and "trill ****".

I'd say that's a pretty easy yes: "Check out these garbage-bag coat-ties" and "look at this one! it's comme des garcons!" Come on.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blanc and noir side zips was such a great purchase, if anyone has been wondering about their shoes/boots, go for it.

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha

A$AP Rocky: Oh man, my boy, Raf Simons. It's typical Raf right here! I can dig it, all the way. I can actually wear this whole outfit.

Everyone in the runway thread just shed a tear

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but I've thought about this a few times. I think the time has passed for those guys, particularly BW and Jeremy Scott.
Like there was that whole bloghouse era in 2007 and it all reached critical mass then, but things have just shifted lately. And when they were at their peak popularity, when everything was neon and MIA was (almost) relevant and helped make those BW flying squirrel sweatshirts popular and **** like that SF was into AA APC Clarks from what I can understand, so it would have never caught on here for sure. I'm sure there are the party boys out there that still wear it but that subset has always had it's own thing going on, outside of the maltstream trends.

BW has nothing to do with this **** though, he's, for better or worse, a gay designer making clothes for gay wearers, often working in fashion in one capacity or another. I know people who wear BW and they're not fluo kids.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
BW has nothing to do with this **** though, he's, for better or worse, a gay designer making clothes for gay wearers, often working in fashion in one capacity or another. I know people who wear BW and they're not fluo kids.

I thought BW / MIA were part of this big London music & fashion circle.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Back into cigar and drink mode at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads