• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

Lane if you plan on order shoe trees, I would suggest you go to a cobbler or B&M store and test out some shoe trees in your shoes.
Shoe trees get as complicated as finding what size CP/MMM sneakers fit your feet, and essentially, what shoe trees fit your shoe.
That said, once you find the right shoe tree type and brand, you can scour the internet for them, usually for cheaper. I like Amazon for some of the shoe trees I put into my dress shoes.

what the ****? buying shoe trees is EXTREMELY simple. follow the obvious sizing guide on the site, etc.

they're ******* adjustable for gods sake.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some don't fill out the toe as well as others is what I meant.

It is not a one size fits all. Example, I have 2 pairs of AE in the same size and width yet the shoe tree only fits one but not the other.

And for Lane's sake, I am just informing him to drop by somewhere to try out some shoe trees before ordering a bunch, but only end up using 1.

Last edited:

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

they're ******* adjustable for gods sake.

yah, I was confused cuz the site that dude linked said they fit a certain amount of sizes cuz they are adjustable...

Some don't fill out the toe as well as others is what I meant.
It is not a one size fits all. Example, I have 2 pairs of AE in the same size and width yet the shoe tree only fits one but not the other.
And for Lane's sake, I am just informing him to drop by somewhere to try out some shoe trees before ordering a bunch, but only end up using 1.

ok, thanks that makes a lot more sense now

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the same topic,

I went to the local cobbler here in my area who gets raving reviews on Yelp!

After he finished cleaning up my shoe, I asked for some shoe trees. He replied that wood shoe trees or shoe trees for that matter does not matter much if you wear your shoe regularly. In short, I asked for some anyways and he brought over some plastic shoe trees marked "Cadillac" (I thought of the SUV immediately) in which you can literally take the plastic shoe trees and adjust the length accordingly. It is probably cringe worthy based on SF standards, but he tossed them in for free I believe (or cost a buck).

I am now in the process of exchanging them for some wooden shoe trees. Why? Because I think it looks better. But as far as helping with the moisture build up and creasing, I (you) can easily use the plastic shoe tree and wipe down the inner shoe for moisture with a cloth each time after wear for the same purpose.

Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some of them though, if not adjusted correctly (too big/tight), will stretch the shoe a bit from your actual size so just be sure you have them sized well. :nodding:

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After he finished cleaning up my shoe, I asked for some shoe trees. He replied that wood shoe trees or shoe trees for that matter does not matter much if you wear your shoe regularly. In short, I asked for

is that true? sparked my interest because I noticed my rick combats have been changing shape cuz I use them 70% of the time, and every other shoe gets the backseat and looks way better.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats nice, but there's a purpose to the shoe tree, and that is to prolong their shape and keep them in good condition. I tend to buy shoes that cost more than $200, so it matters to me.

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lane I could be wrong but iirc the main purpose of shoe trees is to remove moisture from the leather, so yes, you want to get wood trees. It's the same reason you don't want to wear nice shoes more than once every 3 days, so they can dry out.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just want to stop the creasing and keep their shape intact, and that can be helped with a shoe tree. Yah, that's true as well, plus taking away smell is a plus.

not that my **** stank lol

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
gettoasty what the **** are you talking about. i mean jesus. as has been posted, the reason that people use wooden shoe trees (it's actually cedar) is because they absorb moisture form the shoe that can damage the leather.

also, as someone who's owned a bunch of different brands of shoe trees and used them in a bunch of different shoes, i have NEVER had an issue with a shoe tree either not fitting or stretching out the shoe.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score

i just want to stop the creasing and keep their shape intact, and that can be helped with a shoe tree. Yah, that's true as well, plus taking away smell is a plus.
not that my **** stank lol

what size shoe do you wear?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you going to wear your shoes 70% of the time, taking Lanes example, I really doubt shoe trees are going to absorb all the moisture that collects over time as in if you wear your shoes 3-4 days out of 7 vs. 1 every 3 days

I have a pair of AE Clifton in 8.5D and AE Leeds 8.5D, my cedar shoe trees does not fit the latter but the former only.

My point being, yes shoe trees do all those stated, but don't expect them to keep your shoes in great condition if you plan on beating in them every day. This is SW&D, not MC where dudes have $200+ shoes for each day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads