1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

ok fine: i have never seen a pebbled grain leather that was not atrocious

2. Wu Dynasty

Wu Dynasty Senior member

I know the alden vs AE is abit of a shit fight.

Fair call on AE as straight dress shoes. I really don't like aldens dress shoes that much. I like the suede chukka, the cordovan chukkas and a few of the boots (without moc stitching)

90% of AE's lasts are terrible and they have the habit of getting rid of the good ones i.e Mora (The double monk in suede) they then have the habit of creating terrible, terrible 'European' creations (that 7 line)

I'm a C&J man, I like the sleeker lasts, the minimalist finishing and light antiquing fit well with my aesthetic. Also, I can't afford Vass / Ron Rider MTM, but I will be picking these up and rotating C+J's out as time goes on.

95% of pebbled grain shoes suck, but there are some fantastic ones out there. You really need nice leather if your going to go pebbled grain, that's part of the problem.

Finally, Teger vs Uncontrol is the best troll fight ever.

Can't argue with you there. I'm still looking forward to the day when I can justify the purchase of a pair of handgrade C&J or Vass.

3. Razele

Razele Senior member

MC forum generally disagrees with you.
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=153421

Look, great post here and all, but seriously do you see any of the more well respected posters rocking AE's? 99.9% of MC fits are atrocious, and the "OMFG HANDWORK" groupthink is so prevalent. You see alot of newbies with them, and anyone on AAAC, with Jos A Bank ties. Not getting into this here but seriously AE's arent that great. Would understand the arguement of AE's to Vass though, as in, I can't afford Vass so I'll get cheap AE's till then.

4. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Raz, are you fan of the 348 last? I was shopping for a monk strap and when I tried it on, it was way too narrow/pointy for me. Which was weird b/c i would usually prefer something less bulky

C&J's, cheaneys, etc. (and some alden models) have given me the "oooohhh" factor. AE seems only decent to me.

5. onion

onion Senior member

that means he's correct
    [​IMG] MC guys may not have a shred of style, but I'll be damned if they don't know their shoes through and through. Same goes for AAAC. Also I like Alden boots, but I have to agree with teger, their dress shoes are every bit as ugly and unstylish as AE. I have a catalog from Alden sitting in front of me of only Alden dress shoes, and I can honestly say there isn't a single pair I want, or would even consider wearing. Their boots are obviously a different story.

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

TBH I don't even like cordovan that much [​IMG] whisky/cigar is nice, but its so fucking expensive

7. Wu Dynasty

Wu Dynasty Senior member

Look, great post here and all, but seriously do you see any of the more well respected posters rocking AE's? 99.9% of MC fits are atrocious, and the "OMFG HANDWORK" groupthink is so prevalent. You see alot of newbies with them, and anyone on AAAC, with Jos A Bank ties. Not getting into this here but seriously AE's arent that great. Would understand the arguement of AE's to Vass though, as in, I can't afford Vass so I'll get cheap AE's till then.
    My point was that you made AE seem like shit when they're not. They're better than 95% of dress shoe brands out there, and you can always find them on sale for the price of retail Kenneth Coles.

8. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Hmmm.... I can't afford BoO so I'll go to Target and get a shirt tailored to fit like one I have yet to see any AE shoes that I would have been willing to buy; Aldens on the other hand, constantly tempt me and my withering wallet I'll always recommend AEs for office-types that are looking for a plain shoe that works with business attire but I'm not a huge fan of business attire anyway so I wouldn't get a pair for myself

9. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

My point was that you made AE seem like shit when they're not. They're better than 95% of dress shoe brands out there, and you can always find them on sale for the price of retail Kenneth Coles.

very valid point

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

I really regret not going to the G&G trunk show when it was in town. I'd love to see some of those in person..

11. jet

jet Senior member

There are like 5 pairs of aldens I want.

Number of AEs = 0

12. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Hmmm.... I can't afford BoO so I'll go to Target and get a shirt tailored to fit like one

I have yet to see any AE shoes that I would have been willing to buy; Aldens on the other hand, constantly tempt me and my withering wallet

what the fuck is wrong with having a shirt tailored? i honestly dont give a damn what label it carries as long as it fits well. im not saying theyre not nice, but BoO have to be some of the most unnecessarily overpriced shirts around

13. Razele

Razele Senior member

Hmmm.... I can't afford BoO so I'll go to Target and get a shirt tailored to fit like one I have yet to see any AE shoes that I would have been willing to buy; Aldens on the other hand, constantly tempt me and my withering wallet I'll always recommend AEs for office-types that are looking for a plain shoe that works with business attire but I'm not a huge fan of business attire anyway so I wouldn't get a pair for myself
    KitAkira it was ment for MC types, who range from very wealthy to regular office worker types on average wages. MC has really different ideas to here, I wouldn't do that, but I could understand if someone did.

14. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

There are like 5 pairs of aldens I want.

Number of AEs = 0

really, i dont think you would say you liked an ae shoe even if you did when there are plenty of shoes out there that cost way more

15. Razele

Razele Senior member

Price really shouldn't mean anything to you. I get it that they are better then most other things, but does that really mean anything?

16. Razele

Razele Senior member

I really regret not going to the G&G trunk show when it was in town. I'd love to see some of those in person..
    Yes me too. G+G look fantastic from what I've seen. I really like the lasts and finish. Seems like a much more polished C&J to me. Styling seems silly sometimes however, but you mostly use MTO with them, so who cares, you just make it look not retarded.

17. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

I couldn't stop laughing at this commercial:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

18. Teger

Teger Senior member

I've seen C+J in person and I wasn't that impressed. If we're gonna take money out of the equation, the Tom Ford exotics I saw in the NYC boutique.. OMG...

19. Razele

Razele Senior member

TBH I don't even like cordovan that much [​IMG] whisky/cigar is nice, but its so fucking expensive
    RonRider's cordovan boots are to die for. I will be getting some next year, for sure. I think my distaste for Alden / AE cordovan is the last, as I certainly like Vass / C&J / RonRider Cordovan. The Plaza lasted wingtip boots on LeatherSoul are nice. #8 is overrated to me, but I'm not American, so I don't get the cultural love thing. Cigar / Whiskey is really nice though.

20. Teger

Teger Senior member

I couldn't stop laughing at this commercial:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

JUST TAKING OFF MY CLOTHES IN THE HALL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.