Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meis

Meis Senior member

2. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

3. APK

APK Senior member

I'm inclined to hate your website even though it hasn't even launched.

Fok: Feed the what? Please, guys, don't quote spammers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Have you ever seen M.A.+? M.A.+ leather goods? I carry a M.A.+ cardcase as a wallet. The silver piece has long ago snapped and may be lost, or may be in a pile of junk. Not that it's a big loss, because the silversmith who made it probably did it in about 30 seconds and did not take that much care doing it. The ends weren't even attached. They essentially took a thin strip of silver and beat it, while drunk, into a more or less rectangular shape. The leather is cut passably, but seriously, anyone who took a class in high school could probably do as well. The cool things about the wallet is the beautiful leather itself, which is died this blue grey color, and in the design. It's essentially leather origami.

The same goes with the bags. There are tons of bags out there with better workmanship, starting with the bags you see at TJ Maxx by Kenneth Cole. At least the lines of stitching are regular. These bags are not Louis Vuitton or Hermes. They don't require years of training to get them done right. I'm pretty sure that any leather worker, given the same leather, and a copy of the pattern, could easily make the bag.

And have you seen the Aviator? A remarkably design. Not that well made. These are not old Jil Sander pieces, with french seaming throughout. I have an old Jil moleskin shirt that is completely french seamed. To do that, with such a heavy, thick fabric, is technically difficult. There is nothing technically difficult about making an M.A.+ garment. The designs are extremely well thought out, and the materials are unusual and interesting, but you are definitely not paying for the construction.

The same goes for any number of the "artisanal" brands. Rick Owens is sort of an exception in that the materials are also shitty. However, at least he gets his stuff made in a competent factory.

My sentiments exactly, my Persian friend.

5. Lane

Lane Senior member

whatever, I cant just buy well made clothes, there has to be something to excite me to purchase. This is why I am buying nothing from any fall 2012 collection unless its like a t-shirt or something. Shit, there wasn't even anything really interesting design wise to hold my eyes from any collection, maybe im just getting bored of this.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

6. LA Guy

That's fair, but your idea of drama is the same as Liza Minelli's. There is something beautiful and quietly dramatic about, for example, Devoa's cutting, or the remarkable techniques used to loom a Inis Meain sweater. There is more to drama than looking like Dracula's dorky cousin.

FWIW, I was dressed like an Asian Bill Sykes today. imo, the best dressers and the best retailers can put disparate things together to make a cohesive look. For example, Abdul, the assistant designer at Engineered Garments, can, and does, wear all Engineered Garments in a very "goth ninja" way, and Alan Bilzerian can style EG with Morishita with MA+.

7. Lane

Lane Senior member

yah, of course, but I think you are just pidgeonholing me cuz of certain fits

ive actually been dressing quite passively lately (button ups and blazer). Been appreciating what you are talking about more as well. Got rid of lots of my overly loud clothing, not that I am not still willing to put on a ninja hoody and rick skirt still.

and nothing beats a nice leather to me...

8. LA Guy

I think that the sign of an intelligent and mature mind is the ability to appreciate things outslde of the confines of one's own values. I've actually got nothing against people dressing like a ninja. I just think that sentiments like thinking that people need to understand a designer to wear his pieces is plain stupid. Some of the great art collectors of the world were just inveterate collectors. J. Paul Getty is the example that comes immediately to mind. Norton Simon was obsessed with how his pieces stacked up against pieces from the same artists in different collections.

9. Lane

Lane Senior member

I was trying to be clear that I respect what devoa does, and has already achieved with its precise anatomical cuts and attention to fabric choices. However, left only at that there leaves a lot to desire for me. It looks really good worn, and ive considered a blazer in the past but I just haven't had that same impulsive desire to buy something.

10. robin

robin Senior member

[​IMG]

"Those Gitman Brothers were really friendly".

[​IMG]

11. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

I already found some online retailers for sruli recht and song for the mute. For my next purchases, I think i´ll try to give some of these a chance. There´s amazing stuff there.
    Thanks for posting shah. Finding out about brands like these is one of the coolest thing about being here.

12. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I realized while on vacation I lack a lot of ethnic stuff in my wardrobe. It's all minimalistic and sleek so I think I need something to accent that.

14. aether

aether Senior member

yah, a hawaiian shirt

15. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

Just sat through a video on the side of the sw&d forum sponsored by monkeysee. Learned how to make cheese and bread sandwiches by using star shaped diecuts for a festive holiday treat. Fuck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.