Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sipang

sipang Senior member

Stop teasing and go live with ze blog already ! I check the url religiously everyday and all I ever get is the sad robot

[​IMG]

2. zissou

zissou Senior member

Oh shit, I meant Luna. It's on Slide EP.

I heard Dean was playing G500 songs recently. I never would have guessed he'd do that again.

That is one serious collection! Some people really took them so seriously, like the fans who felt cheated at the end of Tell Me Do You Miss Me as Luna broke up.

Real story- way back in 1994 when I was in college, one of my good friends was on the university's concert committee. So, we'd basically request whatever band we wanted, and he'd do his best to get them. Seeing as we were right in between NYC and Boston, it was the perfect stop for some bands. Lo and behold, he gets Luna. Seeing as we were the few weird kids on campus who played the likes of G500, Cardigans, B&S, the show was not well attended. We could have either felt bad for Luna, or felt good for us, with our own little private concert for a dozen or so people...

We also got The Witching Hour, one of Damon and Naomi's bands. One of my dumbass friends wore his Luna shirt to the show, and Naomi, walking through the small crowd, says "Don't let Damon see that shirt".

Cheese and Onions always makes me smile...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

3. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Thanks for the Galaxie 500 rec, I've had On Fire on my comp forever and never listened to it. This is great :slayer:

4. aether

aether Senior member

are you guys talking about Death From Above (DFA)?

I was obsessed with MSTRKRFT's The Looks album for a good while, and I still like the songs. All the shit they put out afterwords has been rubbish, though.

and speaking about my rave/festival days, I was really into Digitalism and Soulwax for a good minute. What happend to Digitalism? Seems like nothing new has come out in a while.

5. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

I know, I know, no more excuses I'll make it happen.

That's really awesome, I would have loved to be there for something like that. You said right between NYC and Boston.. a few weird kids.. Wesleyan?

I guess I have a pretty close experience, in school one of my friends was on the concert committee, same deal - book whoever. This was I guess 06 or 07 and he got Phil Elverum (of The Microphones) to come, this was when he was already doing the Mount Eerie thing, but at the time it was a totally solo act. Well we booked it for the same night that the school booked Motion City Soundtrack for some event, so that was the big time thing and we couldn't use the normal venue. So it ended up being like 10 of us and this super intimate session with Phil and his guitar and laptop and projector, hanging out in this one student center. Pretty awesome show in the end. Saw him recently at 285 Kent and it just wasn't the same.

Good to hear man, mission accomplished haha. It's one of those albums that is both easy to get into but it also really sticks with you. I don't know how to explain it really but it's a good sound that transcends most tastes and generations

For some perspective:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Description:

Galaxie 500 playing "When will you come Home" under a basketball hoop in a school gym (Boston, 21 April 1989) just before they found success. It reminds you how short their time was - school gym one day - thousands of punters a few weeks later - then it all ended. God I love them.

6. aether

aether Senior member

GDL, NOBD, and Parker: our SW&D Ambassadors for MC :)

7. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

boom

8. Lemurs

Lemurs Member

Yeah, Death From Above 1979. They had a ton of success with The Looks (which sounds so dated now, oddly), but then got into some drug problems that sorta comes with the territory I guess. Thus the crap they've released. There's been some gems, though. Also Al P gained about 75 pounds.

9. aether

aether Senior member

jfk and al.p have always been douchebags.

Story time: a friend of my girlfriend, who I am also pretty acquainted with, managed to get a little 'back stage' action with MSTRKRFT after a show in LA, if you know what I mean. I guess she ended up going back to his trailer where Al.P ( i think it was him) proceeded to put on leather gloves and 'choke' her while they fucked.

The end.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I liked his post. I do wish, though, that my theory would gain more traction here - that bit on American GW/Esquire and it's effects on the America-centric population of Styleforum.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Seriously, enough about music. We have a subforum for that. If you want to discuss your shitty musical tastes, do it there. This is the place where we discuss our shitty tastes in clothing.

Random thought - Americans do casual better than Italians. Italians come up with monstrosities like double breasted hooded cardigans with raw seamed pockets, worn with tight, high water jeans, and workboots. I've heard all sorts of explanations like "Europeans don't have the idea of jeans as workwear, so jeans are just another form of pant to them, and decontextualized from X,Y,Z, etc..." But that is just all jibber jabber to me. In the final analysis, it still looks like shit. On the other hand, Italians do tailored with a panache that not even the best dressed Americans can pull off. Nick Wooster, for all his supposed swag, just looked like another poser with colorful pants and pirate facial hair at Pitti.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I feel like my post needs to be elaborated upon.

Italians doing casual, more often then not, look like tourists who walked down Broadway in Soho, and outfitted themselves at the numerous shitty stores there. Everything is overdesigned, and the styling is over-exaggerated, and not in a good way.

It should be noted that most of the Swedes and Dutch I saw did casual very well - very adept at clean lines and muted palettes. Different from the American casual style, which is much grungier and more accessorized, for the most part.

13. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^ Re: european casual. I think the difference between northern and southern europe in clothing reflects huge cultural differences. A bit of a cliche, but swedes (at least, probably all scandinavians, dutch and so on) are keen on simplicity and sort of looking like the crowd. Stockholm is very "uniform" like in that way, and there is little peacocking going on, while southern europe is all about standing out from the crowd and looking "sexy".

However, the general americana thing has been very influential here aswell. A couple of friends just visited NYC and they were dissapointed how extremly similar the hipsters of stockholm and williamsburg were...

14. worakl

worakl Senior member

New album in 2011 called I love you dude. Not nearly as fun as the first one.

15. APK

APK Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.