1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedobandito

reedobandito Distinguished Member

IMO, they'll never make a better song than "Paper Thin Walls"

"Wild Packs of Family Dogs" is a close second

2. bows1

bows1 Distinguished Member

This is inherently wrong cause they aren't from The Lonesome Crowded West /hipster

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

3. reedobandito

For whatever reason, I never really got into this album. Admittedly, never really gave it a chance either. Fuck it, gonna give it a spin right now

4. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Distinguished Member

something always bothered me about Lonesome Crowded West.

5. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Distinguished Member

I've never listened to Modest Mouse. :hide:

By the way, anyone have some music they can recommend? I don't mean "I heard this and it was pretty cool." I mean "This whole record is incredible and it changed me to the core of my being and for the first time in my life I feel like a whole person." You know what I mean. I typically don't care much about hip-hop, so that's probably not the direction to head. I've probably listened to the obvious stuff—Neutral Milk Hotel seems to always come up as a response—but if there's something kinda under the radar feel free to throw it out there.

6. artishard116

artishard116 Distinguished Member

i liked whale song even though it was on a later album

7. bows1

Here are some super popular ones that most people have heard but you might not have! I give these a spin pretty regularly even though they are all old. I think The XX is the latest release

The XX - Self Titled
    Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Self Titled (I might get shit on for this one but I love this album through and through; not a fan of any of their others)
    Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam (One of my favorite records of all time, For Reverend Green > Fireworks might be my favorite back to back tracks ever)

more to come

8. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Distinguished Member

This is a huge can of worms, but really - name one or two albums that you felt changed you to the core of your being / changed your perspectives on music and it's easier to go from there.

I look back over time and there are distinct albums I downloaded or stumbled across for whatever reason that really opened shit up to new/different genres than I would have experienced otherwise, but this introductory albums usually hold a sentimental place in my heart even if they aren't the "best" in their genre.

I mean going back to what we were posting about in that other thread - 1998 - Come to Daddy - I was 11 years old, I saw that infamous music video on MTV, thought it was badass (i was listening to like Rob Zombie and shit like that) and hopped on Napster and downloaded the album. Realized none of the other tracks were like that one but I loved them all, so I wnated to find more stuff like that. Downloaded everything else that user on Napster had (remember when you could do that?) and it was all stuff like Autechre, Bogdan Raczynski, Venetian Snares, Jega, etc. Lots of stuff from Warp Records, and Rephlex. My mind was blown.

Shortly after that was Boards of Canada's Music Has the Right To Children. Well fuck me. This changes everything again. Then came like Phillip Glass and Brian Eno. William Basinski.

99/2000 Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

2001 was Mogwai's Rock Action, also Prefuse 73 which started to get me back into hip hop

And then does everyone remember Coheed and Cambria releasing The Second Stage Turbine Blade that got me back into rock and so on and so forth

edit after bows: AnCo's best is Feels and there is nothing you can say to change my mind! that was a huge album for me in 2005, and that's skipping a bunch of years in between since I gave up after writing about music after 2001. I mean I could write pages on influential albums that I downloaded on a whim that opened up new avenues of music. Can't think of much post 2008 or 2009 though.. Andrew Bird is cool music that white people like?

I love being a child of the internet :inlove:

9. reedobandito

TWHEN WILL THE XX RELEASE ANOTHER DAMN ALBUM

Also, The Smiths

10. tween_spirit

The Smiths are for chubby girls that wear vintage and self-identify as some synonym of "unique"

11. reedobandito

Don't you box me in like that- I'm my own woman

12. artishard116

artishard116 Distinguished Member

easy, some of us grew up on that stuff :embar:

13. bows1

I saw Coheed and Cambria live by accident when they were opening for the Used :)embar:) right after SSTB and it blew my mind. Definitely got my music taste back on track.

Tween - I love SJ/F/ST/ pretty equally, but SJ has a special place in my heart cause thats the first one I heard

14. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

some dude asked to take a picture of me yesterday as I was walking to meet my girlfriend.......:confused:

15. tween_spirit

haha that's awesome, I've always missed out on seeing them live, and always for weird reasons each time.

but yeah as I sort of alluded to earlier I went through middle school listening exclusively to music that had no lyrics whatsoever, which I guess is kind of weird for those developmental years. Probably should have been listening to the smiths :p but then I was over a friends house who was on the verge of being whatever the equivalent of a "scene" kid was at the time. He played a few tracks off SSTB and it blew my mind so hard, it shook me up in the right way and I got back into rock, among other things.

And same as you, Feels has a special place in my heart because it's the first one I heard and Freshman year we used to smoke weed on this little grassy area hidden behind our dorms with the guy in the room next to me and that's where I made out with my first ever (proto)hipster girl. She was from Philly and we were sitting on the grass and The Purple Bottle was playing and she had bangs and big glasses and I'm falling in love all over again as I'm typing this :inlove:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.