Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

My homie on west coast checked UPS tracking this morning for an order :lol:

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

wow, a community for discussing fashion can sometimes encourage us to try things we would not have otherwise considered?

clearly, this should not be happening

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Dude, this is really the point. Let me explain;

Occasionally the 'TOJ backlash' comes out in this thread and people say the same things as BB1, or people say 'only half of the fits are good' - but let's be completely 100% honest here, some (a lot of?) people don't really pay attention to the whole, and the random encounters make for different impressions. There's a TOJ gallery online with thousands of fit pics, and one can see that more than a great majority of the pieces fit those people better than they might ever buy off a rack. That's the nature of how the pieces are made, anyway. There are some good fits, there are some less than great fits (probably out of the package in my PJ's type stuff) and there's even a vertiable male supermodel in there somewhere.

To expect great styling, I don't know - is that my fault, or the fault of the TOJ pieces? Not really. That is personal taste. Lane, you honestly wear RO pretty well, and BB1 wears his 3 or 4 Japanese brands well (and I give you both shit for it, lol), but people would expect that too - you both have spent thousands of dollars on specific looks and have studied them and bought them over a greater amount of time. Most TOJ customers dabble in a lot of different brands, and TOJ only makes things in a couple genres; outerwear, and a few shirts. That they are not 100% dedicated to head to toe same-brand fits or whatever is not even possible with TOJ, we don't make head to toe things. Also, a lot of these guys aren't as serious about clothes but just want a cool leather jacket, can you blame them? If I was in their shoes, I'd be copping TOJ's like crazy too, you aren't gonna get a nice leather jacket that fits that way for $7-800 nowadays without really trying hard and waiting forever for something used to pop up. I know the quality of the leather is great and it's gonna get lots of play, and that is part of what I want to put into it. The tangible qualities far outweigh whatever perceived slights against it are.

That I talk about various topics in my thread, yeah, I do that because I pay for the space and have done so for almost two and a half years, we're alh here because we have similar interests, and I don't mind if the thread goes off track for a bit of hobby discussion or just pure random thoughts. I like German cars and have been into them for years, and some of dudes in the thread do too; BB1 likes Japanese cars, doesn't post about them on SF, but whateva - the TOJ thread can be whatever I want it to be. It's not always clothes clothes clothes, and what inspires me to make clothes isn't always clothes clothes clothes, so the mental breaks are welcome.

That people on SF reply to the special flower threads that ask 'where can I get a nice leather jacket for $700-1000 that fits awesome and looks like this (insert classically styled jacket)?" and people respond with TOJ - isn't that the right answer? There are no baby boomers posting DRs in the TOJ thread, nobody like that has even bought one. BB1 is older than anybody who has bought a DR, by almost a decade. The 'Fonzie' shit is low-level shit talking about on par with high school racism. That is dumb talk.

The SUV analogy? lol. How can you compare cars, of which there are a very limited, finite number of choices, to a practical art like clothing? The SUV popularity thing was subject to a completely outside factor - oil prices, whereas clothing trends are insular, and subject to proper understanding - people bought SUV's for one reason and dumped them for others, clothes designs are not like that, they are a one-track thing. Also, people in America are not so good at math, and don't understand that gas mileage is a reverse exponential curve, and dumped their SUVs for cars only x% more efficient due to propaganda without a real thought. The reasons for buying into the ladder-frame SUV thing like Escalades and Yukons was actually good, but the reasons for getting out of them were dumb and more a side effect of the political climate more than anything else.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I definitely agree with this. Though Willy Cheesesteak's ToJ makes me want one.

I do get the Fonzie vibe from the DR on occasion, but it has less to do with the jacket than the overall look of the wearer. There isn't anything inherently fonzarelli-ish about the DR itself, in my opinion.

Do people on sufu not like Geller? I never use sufu. I obviously like Geller, but if you're going by what stores actually buy (and thus what you as a consumer can actually buy) then I can kinda understand this. I feel like his best stuff is never even produced. In stores it's all jeans, ts, and sweatshirts, as though the guy made nothing else.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

people on sufu liked Geller a lot, I don't know if you can say anything about sufu now because it's basically dead. If I think about Geller I envision a lot more of the more complicated, nicer pieces, actually. I have never seen it in a store (maybe I have, but not paid attention) because, well, I don't go shopping - but I don't view it as being jeans, tees, and sweats. I wouldn't buy any, but I see it as being leathers, knits, etc.

6. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I think they get much better buys in Japan, actually, or at least better stuff turns up on Yahoo Japan. But in the U.S., with the exception of a couple places like Blackbird and Aloha Rag, they tend to carry the more boring stuff. You're right about the leathers though.

7. Lane

Lane Senior member

yah, I think it can be bad at times. I remember reedo was looking pretty good in thom browne and then everyone suggested he buy a leather when he had something going for himself already at least in my eyes.

theres just way too much you need ____ that goes on at times, when people should discover what they want.

Snake also fell into this trap I believe, he got pushed into wing and horns for a long time until he found out what he truly liked. Probably more cases out there too, I think we should spend more time self-reflecting and going to stores and actually trying shit out or using mr porter more (lol). I know when I first started here I thought I needed an array of chinos In the end time is the biggest factor, I just think certain suggestions can stunt peoples growth.

in the end I think impoly_one is right about his label. Its definitely the best stuff for the price, etc. I just wish more people styled them nicer.

8. the shah

but i like his jeans :eek:

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

nobody forced reedo to buy a leather or snake to buy w+h though, and in the end (at least in snake's case, idk reedo well) he found what works for him. isn't that the point? we all make missteps, sometimes based on the bad advice of others, and sometimes due to our own poor ideas.

10. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

i don't know why people argue with bb1. his arguments are always completely unsupported because the "evidence" he uses is always irrelevant. it's always some "i see a lot of people buy THIS because of COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED REASON HERE BUT THIS REASON IS RIGHT BECAUSE IT IS IN LINE WITH MY INITIAL PREMISE WHICH MUST ALWAYS BE TRUE BECAUSE I SAY IT IS". I forgot the technical term for it, but there is always a logical fallacy somewhere in his arguments.

ignore him, let him fanboy about his jun hashimoto, wjk, and other shit in his own little personal circlejerk.

11. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

Sorry for the aside, but what's wrong with fingerless leather gloves? They seem a lot more inoffensive than bigass drapey cardigans.

12. the shah

they're equivalent to round-edged scissors but for your hands,
    make nice accessories. i have a pair of cotton ones and attachment leather ones, they look nice in some outfits and i can use phone/touchscreen while keeping hands slightly above average temperature

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

join the 21st century, buy touch screen gloves!

14. Lane

Lane Senior member

I just feel they are useless for how much I paid, ~250

my hands are freezing and I use them when using gloves are pointless, spring/summer.

spectacular design wise, and supple leather, just kinda not wearing them ever. Always opt for my cheap gloves.

15. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

cool, I only take up like half a basement, and it's all clothes.

oh internets. Hasn't this happened with every product announced since the beginning of time? I'll just be munching my popcorn, waiting to see if it turns into WvG.

What were those APC v. Nike kicks based on? Court Lows? The canvas version of that is around a lot, I think, and those are pretty cool. I used to wear the velcro court traditions like a motherfucker, fuck all y'all.

I was looking at CPs the other day also, and then my pinky toe reminded me that it doesn't really like the Achilles.

The black leather jacket that mr. Bandito purchased is probably the least offensive leather jacket I've ever seen. You could wear that with anything, and Reedo is pretty imbued with whatever you call it, dandy-prep/americana or something; I don't even remotely see how it doesn't fit except that it's not cotton or wool. No offense, but it's not like Thom, Junya, and NDG haven't been beasted on as much as TOJ in the last few years.

Snake bought into wings and horns years and years ago, and rapidly discovered that it didn't work for him. I've bought some dumb shit. I think everyone has, especially if you're the kind of person who's interested in branching out/new stuff, clothes or whatever. Some of it works, and if you don't live in a place where that kind of stuff is accessible, it's kind of hit-or-miss by default.

I've never seen the show, but isn't fonzi just some dude with blue jeans, a black leather jacket, and a pompadour? If so, that's a pretty accurate description of at least three posters here, myself included. Is that not cool anymore?

cats jelly, what else is new?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.