Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teger

Teger Senior member

yea its bad :(

anyway this is my shoe wardrobe! built over the past 4 years

blue new balances
    2 pairs of cheapo GATs, one beat to shit, one still painful to wear tight (the new made ones are really tight)
    3 pairs of aldens - no 8 shell cap toes, brown barrie lasted chukka, j crew x alden snuff suede crepe boot
    buttero brown boots
    ll bean katahdins
    clarks DBs in sand suede
    2 pairs of seavee plimsols - grey and navy
    filippa k desert boots in grey suede
    yuketen sand suede ranger mocs on a crepe sole
    sperry boat shoes
    sperry boat chukkas

what makes me happy is that i only paid retail for 3 items - the sperry boat shoes 4 years ago, the alden barrie chukkas 3 years ago and the clarks

best deal was the alden cap toes. thrifted for $3 ^_^

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

10 Aldens, 9 C&J, 1 G&G, 4 Lobb, 2 Trickers.

This is not too much.

very casual selection, but these will go well with your style.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

i was doing some quick bullshit math it it's a lot more than 30k. those aldens are pretty much never on sale, so conservatively that's like 6k right there. i mean more power to NAMOR, but the only fit pics ive ever seen him are random button down + RRL chinos...

4. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Senior member

Thrift store in DMV area?

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

i got them at diversity (if you know where that is). my gf is really, really into thrifting and i go occasionally and i have never found anything remotely good until i stumbled across these. she actually found them and remembered the logo from another pair i had, and i was just like 'holy shit.. no 8... nice condition.. my size.. and not on the barrie last.' amazing.

probably gonna have to get them resoled eventually.. might go for the alden recraft.

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

DR's are fucking everywhere in williamsburg.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

ftfy, DR's have been big for several years now. I don't think the classical rider's jacket style is gonna go away too soon either, they are pretty much the dominant leather jacket style now after being second for many years to the distressed modern/'design-y' leathers that were popular (RO/Julius/et al)

8. Desi

Desi Senior member

So I still like Robert Geller. Does that make me the baby elephant that got separated from the herd.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

10. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

lots of people here like newbalance.

both make this much sense to me :

[​IMG]

11. Desi

Desi Senior member

^^more a discussion of my sufu brethren.

12. Lane

Lane Senior member

jesus christ NAMOR

13. systematic

systematic Senior member

So what were the real motivating factors? I'm sorry, I don't buy that SUVs were a trend created by marketing and that most people didn't buy them for their tangible qualities.

Aren't SUV sales up again now when the trend and marketing push is towards hybrids and low mpg vehicles?

I get what you're saying, that there are people that bought them because they were popular and not chiefly for any other benefit they provide over smaller cars, and once gas prices went up they realized it wasn't worth the expense, but I'm not convinced that most SUV buyers fit into that mold. IME most do buy them for their advantages over smaller cars.

Would they have bought a DR if it wasn't for TOJ? I don't know, I think that depends on how accessible the other DR's are to them and whether they think they're worth it.
    People are dropping $700+, measuring themselves, and waiting over a month for a TOJ DR. It's a purchase I'd say most people think a good deal about. I believe most are buying that because they like the actual jacket more than the other TOJ pieces, have read good things about their quality, and they think they'll look good in them -not because it gets a lot of talk in the thread.

People will throw out Fonzie for any type of leather jacket... And is that even a derisive comment? (I seriously don't know. :embar:)

14. Lane

Lane Senior member

well, one thing I do think is the problem is the fact that people who wouldn't have fathomed buying a leather jacket are buying one because its considered a go to staple here. A good example of this was when everyone was egging on reedo I believe? to buy a DR, and shit.

I think sometimes the internet influences us to buy a lot of shit that doesn't fit us as a person. I made the same mistake and bought a bunch of drapey gown lookin cardigans which I thought were cool at first but now absolutely hate. Same with these fingerless leather gloves im about to sell...I think some people buying leathers are just putting this idea in their head that they need one and a ToJ is the answer. Or maybe im just exaggerating cuz I don't really pay attention to who is buying them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.