Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

IDF

[​IMG]

:rotflmao:

then again if he's shipping to IDF it has entirely different meaning and could very well be passing through layers and layers of security, including actual moats.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

i like toj and drew and all but that thread is fucking hilarious. 'i'm gonna make jeans!' *no description of the fit, cut, materials, weight, color, etc* 50 people: "OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO BUY!!"

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

yes no airports there. They duct tape your parcel to a frog, that swims to the far away land of Ile-de-France

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I was just deleting really old PMs.

Do Jufros, Black Cherry and Warlock still exist on the site?

5. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Crossfit

Well that was an embarrassing lapse :embar:

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

there is room downstairs for a short term collaborator

7. BB1

BB1 Senior member

This is an incredibly simplistic view of marketing-- "people buy what they do because the product is great quality and meets their needs".

Consider my previous SUV popularity analogy. Most SUV purchasers claimed the main reason they bought their SUV was due to the product's tangible qualities-- e.g. extra space, seeing over traffic, etc. Yet multiple automotive marketers have publicly stated this is not the purchaser's real motivation. And most people I know who bought these huge vehicles no longer saw the value in the behemoths once the trend had run its course.

Likewise everyone on this forum is following clothing trends (i.e. a slave to popularity) to some degree. But in the case of TOJ leathers it is largely an on-line popularity people are following, not one of their peers. In the US I don't see many younger guys wearing leather jackets, especially the DR type that drew is commonly selling. And in the rare event I actually spy someone wearing a DR, they'll invariably a be baby boomer who comes off looking like a burnt out rocker or harley rider.

I suspect that for the majority of DR purchasers their jacket does not fit in with their peer group at all. This can be seen by viewing the fit pics of purchasers-- the majority dress in a very safe and conventional manner. Had they not experienced the popularity on this forum, they would have never bought one since outside of this forum the popular image of such a jacket is somewhat tainted. This also explains the "Fonzie" comments that occasionally surface.

BTW, this is in no way a criticism of the TOJ product itself. Drew is doing a fine job at doing his thing. All the fans are proof enough of that.

Nope, no fan boy club here. There is a striking similarity between possible TOJ products and that of anticipated Apple product launches. In both cases the fans get excited about the unveiling of the unknown.

Oh, and the iPod has kinda poor sound quality. That's why I don't own one.

8. impolyt_one

you are making a very poor analogy between trends in motor vehicles and trends in luxury clothing.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

so i just bought some cheap yuks for summer wear, but i need a shoe to swap them out with.

what should i get?

my thoughts so far:

* try to buy some really cheap CPs, but I dunno... never been that comfortable
    * cheap mocs from ll bean signature that i can trash
    * some sort of vintage style canvas nikes. tennis lows?

im on my feet maybe 6 hours a day so i need something comfortable

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

some Nike Frees or NB

11. impolyt_one

The Apple analogy is probably better, and for example:

I have about 10 Apple things in my home. They are not necessary, but they fill a purpose. I don't line up for them or speculate on technical specifics or even really care, but I buy what is new when I need something and that is that, they facilitate some sort of work/communication for me - I don't think that really amounts to fanboyism, despite the gross number of Apple things that I have. If they weren't Apple, they'd be something else, but I grew up having an Apple in my home since the mid-80's and don't know how to use Windows, and don't really need to.

The difference here is, I have like 5 iPhones, but they're for 3 different' countries, two are for her, we have Macbooks to use all the time, I have an iPad, I have a mac mini on my TV, I picked up the Airport express because it was convenient at the time - they're all for very different purposes and used as such. This is in contrast to NAMOR, for example, who bought 15 pairs of C+J's, 15 pairs of Aldens, 4 pairs of Lobbs, 4 pairs of Gaziano and Girlings, etc, etc - if you want a car analogy for that, it's like I have a garage with many different types of cars, an SUV, a 4 door sedan, a small lightweight track car, a larger sports GT, etc. NAMOR has a garage with 30 Ferrari 360's in different colors and trim levels.

12. Lane

Lane Senior member

15 pairs of aldens, fuck i hope we are exagerrating here

13. DLester

DLester Senior member

Most males who are interested in clothing probably do not fit in with their peer group with respect to that issue. That includes you too amirite?

re: Fonzie----yes some people think that is a hilarious thing to say. But why? That fonzie program has been off the air for 30-40 years. Anyone who calls you fonzie is a brainless dickweed.

14. Meis

Meis Senior member

15. Noctone

Noctone Senior member

e: ^^^ oh there it is

I can't be arsed to find the post where NAMOR listed all the shit he bought in 2011, but that's not an exaggeration. It had to be at least $30k worth of clothes. And I think he posted the list before he went full retard on the Mr. Porter sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.