1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

My wardrobe is in a shitty place right now. Either that or I am. I have some interesting pieces, but nothing really cohesive, and I end up wearing jeans and a leather jacket every day because I don't know what else to do. I have major gaps everywhere, big-ticket items that are pretty out of place thanks to periodic, slightly random sales and total lack of interest on my part. Maybe I'll just give up and buy a sterlingwear peacoat and some clarks like the rest of the shitheads who live here.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Any alternatives to the Alden Cap Toe Boot? Maybe something a bit lower in price...

3. Desi

Desi Distinguished Member

shitty place or have you just found a uniform?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

not mutually exclusive, esp considering what that "uniform" consists of ...

5. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Distinguished Member

it's because he has a girlfriend now!

They ruin everything. Pillows and dolls don't though, and you can dress them however you like.

Just some food for thought :)

6. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Distinguished Member

Sell off what you don't like/wear, then spend the money on a couple of new things you like that push you (slightly) out of your comfort zone.

7. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Distinguished Member

Joke post aside from earlier, you should actually do the opposite of this and sell off what you DO wear the most. Could lead to something pretty interesting, provided you don't resort to replacing what you sold. I have faith in you synth

8. aether

aether Distinguished Member

I too have lately been reevaluating my wardrobe. I don't find that my pieces are disjointed or not cohesive, but I just have stuff I've been holding onto hoping for a 'better' replacement. Or stuff that's just too small. I'm trying to par down my collection to minimize the clutter in anticipation of going back to graduate school; partly for the sake of mobility and partly for simplicity.

Lately I've been wanting to buy less stuff off-the-rack and do more DIY. I have a few pieces that would be really standout if I could just add some nice details, like leather behind the collar and shit like that. So I'm gonna work on getting these mods done.

I'm surprised you're selling your ricks though, you don't feel you can integrate them?

9. Synthese

we're twinsies now, TOJ dr, black jeans, boots

The selling has already begun; t's a constant process, but I've got a pretty large comfort zone that comprises probably too wide a spectrum - and I assume that's partly responsible for the problem in the first place. There is all kinds of ridiculous shit in my wardrobe, and although it all fits with my "personality" (i.e. very little of it makes me feel like I'm dressing up), it doesn't necessarily all fit together. Incongruence, as a tactic, was entertaining, but is now mentally tiring. There are too many directions to go in, I can see myself two years from now wearing nothing but Ann D, nothing but Margiela, nothing but Damir Doma (assuming he stops this ridiculous all-black shtick) nothing but Nonnative and its ilk, or still wearing a leather jacket and a white tee every day.

It's hard for me to buy anything these days. I just start thinking about how little it would take on my part to learn how to tear down a pattern and make stuff in interesting fabric, or how ridiculous it is to pay over 800$ for a pair of Margiela boots when I could essentially build the same thing for eighty dollars with a little more practice. Same thing with Augusta, etc (obviously interesting leathers are tough to source, but in general the boots I have are like the most incredibly simple oxford pattern, I can't help but think I could do it better). The only thing that grabs me is outerwear (including blazers and esoteric handmade stuff), really, and knits, even though I don't actually wear them.

There are a few things in my closet that I really love: APC jeans because they're pretty dialed fit-wise, not perfect (they're always sliding off my ass, but that my be my fault for having a too- small but perky and wonderfully shapely tush), Trickers boots because they're just...legit, Margiela booties because they are everything a sleek boot should be, and the rest is pretty much outerwear. I think everyone knows how I feel about TOJ, but aside from that, I have this awesome Cloak jacket that really blows my mind every time I wear it; it just looks so awesome. The other crazy piece is a CKC foam jacket, seriously a triumph of engineering...but it has a shite zipper.

10. Rompson

Rompson Senior Member

Sell your CK Megaman coat to meeee so you can fill the gaps in your wardrobe :teach: :nodding:

11. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

i actually am in the opposite place. picked up just a few items but think my wardrobe is really coming together. need to purge some stuff though

12. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

Whats wrong with monk straps? Last 1 looks like churchs. Black boot and white double monk look a bit shit, but the other 2 are just standard captoe double monks like the AE mora or that JL one.

13. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Distinguished Member

So what's the problem? Don't buy things; make them! I'd like to learn to make some basic stuff. I'm going to start with a t-shirt. My goal is to eventually be able to make a button down. We'll see. I have a busy life, so I have no idea whether I will actually follow through.

14. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

it's just another bout of faux philosophical contemplations and pseudo-depression

15. Synthese

It's not necessarily a problem, more just disillusionment and a lack of interest. I have no fantasies about my ability to put together a blazer or anything like that, and sneaker production currently escapes my know-how. I think that learning to make button downs would be huge; if I could make a sweet shirt with ultra-soft cotton, curved sleeves, sufficient taper, and a better collar, I'd be super happy. Have you checked for sewing classes near you? Often, thrift or consignment stores will offer them, and teach you how to use your sewing machine, etc. I haven't done it yet, but I hear they love boys...

edit: shah got it in one. le sigh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.