Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teger

Teger Senior member

man that scene from american psycho really bugs me. the movie was cute, but it really missed the whole parody aspect of the book

2. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

From what I remember, I don't think it did at all.

I'm sure some viewers missed the satire of it all, but I recall it being pretty on-point with the delicate balance of over the top yet somehow believable insecurity of the world it takes place in.

But I can't believe that scene bugs you! I love that line, although I remember it being a lot more impactful in the book at the time. So glad someone has it on youtube but I wish there was a bit more of the car ride for more context

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

3. systematic

systematic Senior member

How many people would have bought Margiela or SNS before coming to this forum? Yes, probably more than would have bought TOJ, but they have a much larger presence... My point is, this forum introduces people to a lot of brands they wouldn't have bought into, not just TOJ. It makes sense that a thread with the person behind the creation of everything will have a larger loyal following than one without.

Yes, but the driving force is ultimately what he sells. If his jackets were shit, no one would discuss them and they certainly wouldn't care about his insight about how they're made.

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

yea i dunno i've always felt the movie missed part of the deeper impact of the book. to me the movie is 'did he kill people? is he insane? the 80s is so wacky!' while the book was 'it doesn't matter if he killed them or not, because someone like him could exist'

have you read other ellis? i think rules of attraction was ok, the informers is .. neat? but everything after american psycho is garbage.

5. tween_spirit

yeah I get what you're saying, I feel like the conversations I've tried to have with people who only saw the movie sound exactly like that.

BEE is actually my one major guilty pleasure, I've read / own everything he's written :embar:

It's fun trashy stuff, especially the early writings like Less Than Zero or RAT but I mean it's all undeniably his. I actually do like Glamorama if only because it's so recursive to the point of absurdity. (Models that are actors in a movie that isn't a movie but instead are being used by a real life terrorist organization that might actually be a movie of it all)

The supernatural stuff in the informers was way better than in Lunar Park, I really think LP is the weakest of them all because it seems try-hard in a way that the others don't - maybe a little too conceptual and it falls flat.

I really can't stand the movie adaptations for Less Than Zero and Rules of Attraction though. American Psycho is good and I don't care what people say about The Informers, I thought it was an entertaining 90 minutes, if nothing else.

6. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

you're like the most hypocritical, tunnel-visioned anti-hipster hipster ever. and your arguments are always terrible

protip: you're also a fanboy. it's just that your social sphere consists of just yourself. sadface for you :(

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

In late capitalism, we our identities is what we consume

there is no escape. just try and get your lifestyle and values in line and avoid hype-for-hype sake.

Also <3 BEE. Rules of Attraction was the first book I ever read where was like "Damn, this is my life. Someone gets it."

8. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

the beloved Mr Porter presents upcoming footwear ...

:lol:

9. sipang

sipang Senior member

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

i haven't read lunar park yet. have you read his new one? imperial bedrooms (I think it's called that)

i actually liked the less than zero movie. and the informers was .. neat? although the whole mickey rourke/vampire subplot thing came across as a little strange.

his early writings have a sort of almost existentialist emptiness that i like.. very ennui 'fuck it its the 80s' feel. glamorama had its moments, but as a whole was just too bizarre for me. it was like american psycho for the 90s with a dumb movie plot twist.

11. Lemurs

Lemurs Member

The ToJ fanboy phenomenon isn't unique to ToJ and is inherent to the entire concept of an online shopping forum, and really to the way humans create a hierarchy of goods in general. There are only a small percentage of members here that can really tell the quality of something just by looking at it, and the number that can do this based on a stock photo approaches zero. People are reliant on personal experience and word-of-mouth when making a purchasing decision, and for most here the range of the latter far outweighs the former. Lacking any other data, people will evaluate their purchases based on what those around them are doing. This is how you get giant threads devoted to brands that produce boring products like Wings + Horns and APC, and how you get guys in slacks and dress shirts posting fit pics with their ToJ double rider. And, most relevant, how you get people purchasing Silent, Lanvin, Raf and Rick Owens at 80% off in a single purchase and expecting it to work together.

It's also no coincidence that there's much more similarity in looks within forums than between forums. SZ didn't aggregate a crowd of people that wanted to dress like vogue homeless. I think it far more likely that many of the user's there wanted to dress better, found the forum, and began purchasing things for themselves based on familiarity - which happened to be CCP, MA+, Julius etc. Granted, many of them probably found sufu or SF first and then decided they wanted to dress a different way, but I think you can understand my point.

tl;dr most people don't have any reference for high-quality clothing so they just buy what they see those around them buying.

12. tween_spirit

Yeah Imperial Bedrooms was OK, but to me it just felt like fan service since it's just a big reunion and combines the basic themes of the earlier stuff but catered to his aged fans that had been there from the start, with a toned down version of the supernatural bits from Lunar Park. Like he tried to strike some balance of what he wants to write with what he used to write, but in the end it comes through just as "safe" as I'm making it sound.

Like Graphic Novelty said, a lot of the appeal comes from feeling like you can "relate", ESPECIALLY The Rules of Attraction. That stuff is basically the equivalent of chick-lit as far as I'm concerned but I still love it :D I think Less Than Zero is one of those sort of eye-opening influential-in-a-weird-way books you read in high school, and then you read RoA sometime before college, and wonder if that's what it will be like.

I mean you have the scandals and the drama, love triangles and suicides, heartbreak and flings. the absurdly rich kid that decided to reinvent himself and pretend he has no money, and the girl who can't make up her mind about anything and just coasts through but eventually falls into a bad drug habit, and so on. I'm sure most of us have or had these characters in our life but it doesn't make it any less entertaining or interesting.

I think now I'll go back and reread that stuff and see if it still holds up though, I'm pretty sure I have at least RoA with me in my apartment

Enjoy Fred Savage:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Looks like the findings of an archeological dig at Plymouth Rock

14. Teger

Teger Senior member

the rules of attraction movie adaption was so shitty.

although id pay $100 to see gliterrati

15. tween_spirit

Just looked this up and I'd probably do the same, I think we need a new movie that encapsulates that type of trip. Also a Glamorama movie for 2014? And apparently someone is redoing American Psycho.

I'm sure I'll check it all out but I don't really have high hopes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.