Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Warning: unconfirmed info to follow. PH supposedly worked for CdG in a design position. The PH jackets def have a lot in common with CdG boiled wool jackets.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

2. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

What's the difference of posting it before/after it arrive?

3. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Can't believe Lanvin is asking $4K for a cotton sportcoat. That's the price of RLPL cashmere.

4. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

This should be the most expensive tee/polos lol.

http://www.barneys.com/Epaulet-Tunic/501602716,default,pd.html?cgid=MENS04

Their runway pieces priced doubled than their regular pieces. Last season the puffer jacket priced at 3000. :wow:

But Lanvin is Lanvin. :devil:

5. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

^That's just silly

6. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Lanvin runway changes quite a bit from season to season. Their non-runway stuff is actually more wearable and keeping one style. I don't have any special pieces from runway, but a large amount of lanvin classic pieces are from 04-06 season I think. They just play with fabric, color, and variation each season.

7. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I don't feel your analogy is any good. There is no mutual shared love on this forum for the stuff I buy. Nor is there a fan boy thread for expensive Japanese t-shirts with everyone fawning over how great they are, spurring me and everyone involved to buy one. Where were all the fan boys telling me to buy wjk before I ever bought a single piece from the label? By contrast these elements clearly exist on this forum for both ToJ and Mr. Porter and are a driving force.

Most people like to believe they select products primarily on the basis of quality and how well the product meets their needs. But this is often not the case. I believe most ToJ customers had never dreamed of buying a leather jacket until they immersed themselves into the culture of this forum. Reading through the ToJ message thread there is a sense of comradery amongst fellow owners, with everyone congratulating each other on their purchases and drew residing over the whole affair as if a he was a near deity.

There is nothing wrong with strongly liking something. My point was that it can become a bad thing when you're constantly surrounded by a crowd of fan boys who all believe the same thing. There are a lot of really questionable looking fit pics posted to the ToJ thread with drew and everyone else saying "looks amazing!" when it clearly does not. This is not an indictment on the quality or fit of the product, but rather about how the product is simply not a good match for many of the purchasers.

Being a fan boy of one I hold no such influence and am largely irrelevant in such a discussion.

So says the guy who makes Schott style leather jackets (but with a more fashionable fit) that nobody outside of these forums has ever heard of. Not particularly original or innovative, but hey it's "classic" so it's always relevant right?

And yes, your thread does read like a fan boy club. Can you not see that? Your fans love you! They hang off your every posting in the TOJ thread where you share your opinions or even sometimes personal stuff. Even I have experienced this feeling myself while visiting. So many products have a disconnect between the producer and customer today and people seem to gravitate towards such an experience when its done in the right manner, like you're doing.

You would not the first to hold such an enviable position. Before you there was the Michael J. Krell fan club. But you've managed to totally outdo anything he ever manged to achieve.

I have no fan club myself, and as such expect to receive close to zero support in arguing with you here on almost any topic.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

8. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I don't think anyone could accuse you of being the bad type of fan boy-- i.e. those who slavishly define what they love based on what is currently popular within their social sphere. How many of your friends and co-workers dress in a similar style to you?

Remember the giant SUV craze in the 90's? I never owned one since I tend to feel a natural repulsion against anything that seems overly popular. Yet many of my co-workers at the time were buying them. When I asked why they bought it, most would begin describing the benefits of extra space, crash protection, etc. But years later when SUV popularity started fading, most of these same people got rid of their SUVs as if these supposed advantages no longer mattered much. Clearly they bought the SUV's in order to appear up to date and "relevant".

Likewise I never bought an iPod. Yet I was using a portable hard drive based MP3 player (PJB-100) long before Apple's version ever existed. At the time everyone I knew said they didn't see the purpose of such a device and thought it was an expensive extravagance. Why didn't I just use a cheap portable CD player like everyone else? Yet today even the Queen of England has an iPod.

Are these examples of the concept of "relevance" that drew seems to feel is so important?

He tells us that many of the labels discussed on here are not relevant and that soon we'll all be wearing stuff like White Mountaineering. Likewise we should not drive Japanese cars, as BMWs (or other Euro cars) are what all the cool young guys in Japan are driving these days.

Is this obsession with presenting a conforming image a good thing?

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Just pay the affiliate fees and wait.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Dude, what kind of bubble do you live in? I'm glad you had an mp3 player before the iPod, but what?

11. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

i2onnel: "the meltdown value of just my Rolexes alone is $34,600"

13. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

late pass but snowman jr wanted to play :laugh:
    [​IMG]

edit: he also makes guest appearances in some of my fs threads (no, he is not for sale)

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

+28585354376974367230023

Haven't really looked at mr porter, but the 80% off stuff can't be any worse then the stuff that goes on deep discount at like yoox or century 21?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.