Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lane

Lane Senior member

i wasnt talkin to you solely, but now that ive read your latest post I see the problem with this as a whole. Problem is fashion in the end is driven by consumption.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

yes, it's been around for awhile - but sz/sufu (awhile ago, at least) and styleforum to a lesser extent, in my mind - there was a respect for having items purchased at retail from the source and having the new items (either as being a huge baller gothninja or as an extension of streetwear mindsets maturing into more expensive things - something like i2onnel but without being a caricature) and then an honest second hand market for truly used goods with no guarantees or customer service and 1 on 1 sales , the latter of which has nothing to do with boutiques reducing things to the lowest price possible.
    There will be some brands that you guys like that will go by the wayside because of this - the brands have to pay back these huge boutiques if something doesn't sell, or in some cases, the brands will not get paid at all - and not getting paid is a good reason to go out of business. I think Fok can elaborate on this better, he has some historical examples. Obviously, the huge houses of which half are made by LVMH - they aren't gonna be hurting because of some site marking down the season end stuff to 80%, but there are brands with a much bigger presence than their real size of operations would indicate, and those are the ones that either have to quit dealing to losing propositions or fold entirely.

Anyway, that side of it was beyond my point - my point was that there is probably a reasonable amount of buying clothes as a hobby, some level of enjoyment from 'shopping!' or whatnot and the bar there is still quite high (you can easily spend $10K if you sit on this site for the better part of a year) - but as NAMOR or others have demonstrated - one can spend $30,000 on discounted clothing from one store in a matter of a season and still not be able to put together a decent looking outfit. That is kind of sad, for everybody involved.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

3. impolyt_one

tl; dr version = the "baller" threads here in SW+D got taken mad seriously, when they were originally supposed to be tongue in cheek...

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Neither "side" is really right.

1) Aspirational shoppers don't necessarily have the means to buy covetable pieces at retail.
    2) The value of a pieces that is desirable by someone might nevertheless be lower the retail price of that piece.
    3) The "masses" are a terrible indicator of taste levels. Usually, the stuff that goes first in a sale are lower prices, basic pieces.
    4) For Mr. Porter to have these sales and stay profitable (or net-a-porter, which has a much longer track record), someone else had to had bought the goods at retail.
    5) "Walmartization" refers to a different phenomenon altogether - a decreasing of prices to a degree that anyone can afford the goods at any time.

That said, I think that the frenzy in the Mr. Porter sales is nuts.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Where did the love the Paul Harden on SZ come from? It doesn't fit into the "goth ninja" look at all - even the branding is all wrong. The tags are much more Freeman's Sporting club or Engineered Garments than they are julius or MA+. And while artisanal brands are really about the materials and designs much more than the construction, which is often pretty stone age, Harden usually looks like it was sewn by drunk monkeys, and then washed in their urine.

6. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

price tag + exclusivity, but you already knew that :)

I think it's charming stuff though, but I agree it's more up my alley than what I imagine the typical SZer to be.

That said, there have been a few times I've searched for certain things on google and gotten linked to there though, and that was never for goth stuff. They just seem to be knowledgeable about lots of nicer clothing as a whole

7. Desi

Desi Senior member

Someone is buying something because that $795 Lanvin long tee on MrPorter has already sold out in a size or two. It is cute and I would wear it but I can't get behind the price of it.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

The power of l'Éclaireur and how they have a different buy showing another side of many of these brands. According to what I was told they sell a lot more Harnden during art fairs or at least to people working in contemporary art than for their other brands. I am quite satisfied with the sportcoats I own (heavy beige tweed for winter, black silk with a metallic/burgundy sheen for summer and black wool patchwork for in-between) but then I don't dress very "goth-ninja". I sometimes do the same outfits with an EG jacket so, yeah, I see the similitude. Just to be an asshole I once posted an outfit consisting of a PH jacket, a ColetteXCobrasnake tee, some DH jeans, Rick dunks carrying a big Lanvin shopping bag.

Oh and, tob e fair, goth-ninja is more varied than the industrial look, you also have a lot of Victorian or at least garment made from rough fabrics referencing the styles of earlier centuries (PH but also things like Carpe Diem or even LUC) and sharp tailoring like CCP or Devoa.

Funny Harnden studio story: after being told the pockets didn't hold up so well on their green suede blazer they just added some random stitch going over the flap and called it a day. British workers at their finest, fuck design let's go to the pub.

9. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

That's a misrepresentation or at least an incomplete picture of sz. While there is still a rather large contingent of drapey batmans running amock, there are also pockets of interest in tailored garments, antiquated aesthetics, plays on volume, and this fits in there. The inaccessible price is not an unlikely draw either. I saw a head to toe ph setup (maybe not shoes which is odd since it's paul harnden shoe makers) but I also saw ph jacket worn with black denim and sneakers or fuuma describing himself in it.

Alternatively : brad pitt spotted in ccp boots with harnden = new fascination at high cost low potential resulting in many ph sale threads in classifieds, spreading it virulently accross the board.

10. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

When Ssense put its FW11 Rick Owens footwear up for sale someone bought out every single size 45 in less than 24 hours. I've never seen that happen before so I'm certain it was all one person.

I'm pretty sure a lot of their $700+ Givenchy tees sell out immediately in some sizes.

11. impolyt_one

What is the PH and CDG connection? In Japan the CDG stores carry PH and the clothes are single and sometimes occasionally double tagged, but not real design collabos, I think. Women's clothes?

12. impolyt_one

That? That was kunk, our resident plus-sized RO fan.

13. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Is boot stretching something any cobbler can do? Like, I don't really need someone who is that guy everyone goes to? There's a pair of boots I want but I'm not sure if they will fit without some stretching...

14. impolyt_one

Stretching is common, but you can only expect a reasonable amount of stretch and also the results that come with stretching.

15. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.