Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I'm a fanboy of the brands I like, but at least I'm self-aware :eek:

2. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

not to :nest: but robots are not self-aware

well, not all robots

[​IMG]

3. sipang

sipang Senior member

4. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Shah and Sipang, this made me think of you guys

http://www.good.is/post/how-oliberte-the-anti-toms-makes-shoes-and-jobs-in-africa/
    I don't see what the shoes look like anywhere, though.

5. the shah

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

7. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Dude, you are so off-base.

I'm actually sitting down right now, and I'm eating an orange.

edit:

When I saw "anti-Toms" in the URL, I immediately assumed that for every pair of shoes someone buys, they take a pair of shoes away from someone in a developing country.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  8. Lane

Lane Senior member

honestly this mr porter hate doesn't make sense really...yah its a lot of bland shit people are buying. However, at least its something more than wing and horns sweatpants and common projects people get their rocks off here from usually. It has sort of expanded peoples horizons even just a little bit.....they offers a pretty diverse selection of designers albeit the more boring tame pieces, though but whatever.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Some of the stuff at retail, and at 40% off or whatever the first cut was, was good. My point was that when it gets to 80% like it's been, it's logo tees and a lot of crap that people would never buy otherwise. It really does no good for anybody because it's a bunch of detritus that Porter is gonna bill the makers for in the end. There's a two-way street there that is rather sad.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

the same state of affairs on Gilt's 90% off "MLK sale" yesterday. I was like "what is this shit?" It's 90% off b/c it's the only garbage they've got left, and they still have it for a reason!

11. the shah

dat raf

[​IMG]

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I know you guys think you look like characters in a Godard movie when you wear a dress shirt, a designer sweater and some nice pants but chances are you look like this guy...

Oh and Mr Porter gives access to some interesting designers and the rebates are swell, however I don't think I couldn't stomach buying from people who have style advisers and web 2.0 woohoo #menswear content. That+their buy is so so + it encourages conspicuous consumption to an amount unseen before in most SFers. You should buy less and wear more often, hell I should follow my own advice. On the other hand I don't buy YSL sneakers or whatever in 10 crappy colourways and post my amazing balla KOP on recent purchase before they arrive.

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Well, we're all guilty, because we shop with our wallets - but the wal-mart'ing of high end RTW like the internet is doing is going to be the undoing of everything that this forum revolves around. The only survivors will be the brands that just refuse to discount. You know what happens once people grab hold of your hand and gain some amount of control - people suddenly start expecting everything to be 60% of what they used to cost (for a good reason) but the content just can't be put in at that price honestly - and things just become a cheap, low-quality shell of themselves made in disgustingly huge quantities out to fool people into believing they're buying some amount of quality, and then people stop fooling themselves and just accept that they're buying crap, and then it's dead. Look at this 'jobs' crisis in America - America has Wal-Mart'ed itself to death and now nobody can create jobs that offer a livable salary to the people who want 4 flat screen TVs and lots of cars as a way of life.

14. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

i think this kind of mindset has already been established in the sf/sz/sufu crowds

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Thank god for Paul Harnden; it is almost impossible to find it on sale and so shoddily constructed the quality can only go up. If we can move production to america it will solve all US manufacturing trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.