Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

e: relocated

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. sipang

sipang Senior member

I think Revolver put Strong on the map.

I think I'm going to rewatch Party Down

3. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

I've been meaning to see Sunshine

Can't wait for Blood Meridian to be released this year

OH AND THE ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT MOVIE

4. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Wtf, they made a movie of Blood Meridian? That's going to be fucking horrible.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I like a lot of noir/crime b-movies but girl w. dragon tattoo wasn't very good; well the first one was ok but the other two were unwatchable crap (I've only seen the Swedish version). I haven't read the books though but I doubt the guy was the second coming of Stig Dagerman.

6. oxx

oxx Member

How could they possibly translate the ending to film without completely ruining it? Nevermind that endless shots of dusty dudes dying of thirst while riding through bleak landscapes is going to be boring as fuck.

Unless they cast Taylor Lautner as the Judge and one of the Jonas brothers as the Kid and turn it into an action movie, in which case it'll be epic.

7. reedobandito

I think it could go either way, there's a good opportunity there. I'm also assuming it'll be sickeningly gruesome lol

8. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:
    Yeah, it's just going to be an action movie. The whole point of the book was the juxtaposition of beautiful prose with an almost comical amount of violence. The narration was totally detached from the action; whole plot events were mentioned in passing, sometimes in just one sentence (large battles, run-ins where half the company dies, etc). You can't do that in a movie. I think it's just going to be a shitty adaptation where the soul of the thing is lost like The Road movie remake but why base it on a book if you're going to do that?

9. hipster

hipster Senior member

scifi fans should check this out

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10. oxx

oxx Member

I agree that there's no way to translate the soul of the book into another medium, so at that point they're just taking a name and a general premise and making something totally different out of it. At that point, it's like basing a movie on a board game or a Disneyland ride. Oh wait.

11. reedobandito

I actually read that the point of the novel was literally nothing. Cormac was having a joke with his readers, and the Judge represented the absurdity of the author's creation. That the ending was so ambiguous, ludicrous and unfulfilling, it was intended to confuse and befuddle the audience. But really, it was a dark, dark comedy and nothing else.

The ending will be REALLY hard to translate, the rest not so much (maybe the tree of dead babies)

12. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

Try Made In Britain for a good skinhead film. A really young Tim Roth is amazing in it.

[​IMG]

13. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

I think Blood Meridian could be movie-ified in a really awesome way. Like, watch No Country For Old Men, then watch The Proposition, then let your imagination run free!

I get the impression that McCarthy's writing is deadly serious, not the kind of author who aims for absurdity or would have a laugh with his readers.

14. ChronBong

ChronBong Senior member

I have a pair of leather shoes (not the dress kind, its a mix of casual/going out type) that has been scratched on new years eve...i was hammered to shit. eventually blacked out.

anyways they are expensive. and i just bought them. there's scratches all over the place. any idea how to permanently get rid of them. im aware u probably cant completely get rid of them but at least minimize the damage-look.

15. oxx

oxx Member

I hope the part about it being a joke is true because that would be awesome. And then I could pretend that I like it because I'm in on the joke, and therefore better than people who aren't.

I don't know if the rest will really be easy to translate. It'll be easy to get the hyperviolence down, but not as easy to convey the flowery and often arcane language McCarthy used to describe it (although top-notch cinematography could possibly capture the spirit). It's the long scenes of drudgery that would be exceptionally boring, and as KingJulien pointed out, the pacing is very weird.

Of course, if James Franco actually ends up directing, it could turn into a weird drug-addled vision or a Lynch-doing-Dune kind of thing, which just might work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.