1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Drive demonstrates all the damage that Antonioni, via Mann, has done to american crime movies. Bad lieutenant is semi-watchable but leaving las vegas is a must watch for anyone.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

Was Drive really American, though?

(EDIT: or is it a Rififi-like hybrid! O_O )

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

3. jaac

jaac Senior Member

saw some kid at the mall today in really perfect fitting slim sweatpants with a cuff closure and everything, really nice blue colour.

4. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Distinguished Member

I'm actually a big Nicolas Cage fan. Wicker man is endlessly rewatchable. If you like Cage at all, even ironically, you need to see Time To Kill. Might be hard to find, it's a really terrible 90s (I think) Itallian film. Nic stars as an Italian army officer in Africa who rapes a local woman for kicks, and then they fall in love. I won't reveal the end, I would hate to ruin such a great movie for you all.

5. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

How is it that Wild at Heart isn't available on Netflix on DVD or streaming?

6. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

i really hate nicholas cage, but i think wicker man is probably one of the greatest films ive ever seen.

ive done nothing this break except read and watch movies, the best i've seen:

the ides of march
    moneyball
    crazy, stupid love
    capote (rewatch)
    the ghost writer

has anyone seen 'take shelter'? i've heard it's really good, but can't find it anywhere

7. reedobandito

reedobandito Distinguished Member

I know this lookbook, but I can't remember the name. What brand/designer?

8. habitant

habitant Distinguished Member

wickerman is great movie, because it's plot is so plausible.. I bet that type of stuff happens daily in the pacific northwest.

9. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

also i like mann and i like drive. heat is maybe the best action film of the last 15 years (or is it older?)

i wish someone out there was still making decent scifi films

anyway, funny story:

my gf and i went to meet a friend of hers a week ago who has spent the last year and a half teaching in japan. the friend gave my gf a bunch of gifts, including something she described as 'japanese bath salts.' my gf has a cold so she decided to take a bath (which she's in as I type this). when she opened the "bath salts" she thought it was strange because it's just a bag of leaves, but threw it in anyways. it took us like 5 minutes to realize that it wasn't actually bath salts, but tea. and now she's soaking in a giant batch of tea.

10. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

undercoverism, no?

11. melonadejello

melonadejello Distinguished Member

Huh??? It used to be. Oh well, just buy it, it's worth owning. I love David Lynch too much

12. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

i like the david lynch cut of "dune"

13. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior Member

Cage has done lots of good stuff: Raising Arizona, Vampire's Kiss, Wild at Heart, Leaving Las Vegas, Snake Eyes (you must deal, ok?), Bringing Out the Dead, etc.

Nothing is as bad as Inception.

Take Shelter is great. One of the best movies of last year.

In the meantime, you should also look for Nichols' previous film, [i[Shotgun Stories[/i]. While it's not as good, it's still well worth watching.

Undercover FW 2009

I know it's quibbling, but I dunno if I would call Heat an "action film".

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any (good) directors working exclusively in sci-fi at the moment. Nobody say Primer.

14. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Distinguished Member

I will always love Nic Cage in The Rock; it may have been my introduction to him, I don't remember any more.

For upcoming sci-fi, look up Looper (dir. Rian Johnson of Brick) -- it's coming out later this year, along with a prequel to a little property called Alien....

15. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

primer was really overrated. i think half it's appeal was that it was so needlessly complex that it you felt somehow smarter for trudging through it the second time (because you always have to watch the best scifi movies twice!).

some 'ok' scifi that i've seen recently has been babylon a.d. (pretty sweet atmosphere, and the extended unrated version returns a lot of bite to the film) and and 'the thing' prequel, which wasn't nearly as terrible as i expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.