Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I agree, but there's not really a popular group trend for this at the moment. Additionally, DBSS's take on it is downright funky and falls well outside of most people's concept of a "rocker" look. The label also has a bit of a skateboarder vibe too.

I often think the label appeals to young skinny guys who cannot afford it. From a business perspective, the label is not very good. I've noticed lots of stores dropping the label in Japan.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. snake

snake Senior member

Silent tees are nice if you can find them for cheap (I grabbed a few when gilt had them for thirty-something a pop). I really don't like OV though. Something about their clothes just scream 'fake'.

3. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I don't really like OV tees either. They looked extremely unflattering to on me. I ended up selling and/or returning all of mine. The fabric is nice though.

Silent tees are ok, but vastly overrated.

^^ This. I cannot explain why at the moment, but I instinctively know this to be true.

4. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I guess I will check out silent then. I can pick up a few tees for $60 and I'll see if they're worth it. Vovk is a bit higher from what I can find. Hanes tees aren't very comfortable after a wash.

Thanks!

5. BB1

BB1 Senior member

If you want something basic looking like Hanes, then check out wjk. They sell a 3-pack of tees for around $150. The fabric is far higher quality than Hanes and does not shrink. The tees look basic, but have raw hems on the edges which provides a nice touch of detail. For non-drapey standard tees, these are my personal favorite.

[​IMG]

6. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Sweet, that looks great. I'm assuming size up from normal size? I assume it's really only Japanese places that I can get them, can you PM me some?

7. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

I dunno if they didn't have raw hems I feel like they would be ideal. I know N Hoolywood makes some good crewneck t-shirts, but prices have skyrocketed.

8. BB1

BB1 Senior member

Yes, only available from Japanese stores. You generally need to go up 1.5 sizes from your US tee size. Send me a pm if you want sizing advice.

Unless you simply don't like the look, there is no disadvantage to the raw hems. The cut is extremely clean and uniform and they do not fray. After wearing the shirt for a while, the raw hem tends to twirl upward slightly, forming a rim around the edges like you see in the picture. It's not excessive and I actually like how it looks since it makes the tees look a little less generic.

I've been meaning to try N Hoolywood tees, but have not done so yet.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  9. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

Does anyone have experience with / comments about either The Elder Statesman or Raif Adelberg? Both seem to specialize in the ultra-luxurious $3k cashmere knits business. I wonder how good is their stuff and how they compare to each other.
    Probably neither will have many offerings that fit me, but I'd still be interested in some scarves etc.

Nick Wooster goes all bb1 about Raif :lol:

10. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

yeah, mina bought a greg chiat throw from a place called amaree's back a couple years ago. ive never felt anything like that ... never owned a sweater or anything like that from statesman.

11. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

^cool, thanks.
    just found out he has a secondary line at barneys too called 'Tyro'. I may actually have handled some of the beanies at co-op a few weeks ago without realizing they were by him, I remember being quite impressed with the quality.
    funny, didn't realize greg chait was ashley olsen's ex! Elder Statesman does seem kinda similar to The Row though.

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

made me laugh for some reason

Saw some Raif stuff in NY last time I was up there. Designer is/was the guy behind Richard Kidd's house line, I guess? (which, full Styleforum circle, was an early carrier of CYC stuff--I'd bet the old (c. 2005?) headdress hoodie was a Raif design and a CYC execution).
    [​IMG]

The new stuff is sorta intentionally fuck-you luxurious (and he's done that before--that hoodie's zip was sterling silver IIRC). It's very handmade looking and with high-grade raw materials. The cashmere and leather knit looked very cool and, I dunno, luxury rustic. To be honest even if I could afford it I might not want it, but I can see the appeal.

13. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I wish there were WJK 3-packs that didn't come with a crew neck. I don't want a fucking crew neck. >(

14. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

the tee ive got is too warm for summer but it is soft. prob shouldve quoted APK instead lol..

15. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Barney's has carried Elder Statesmen for a while, shit is stupid soft.

Also I like OV for certain pieces (pretty much just basics? every once in a while they do a decent leather). Don't get the whole "fake" thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.