• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's going on with Blackbird? Despite the high prices, I've enjoyed frequented the site and blog for years, because their buys and styling were worth the visit. They've made some really weak buys through the last year, though, and what on earth is with this vintage collection? $120 for a blue sweatshirt with stains on it? Really?

Their customer service remains immaculate, but some of this other stuff is almost uncomfortably bad to page through.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What's going on with Blackbird? Despite the high prices, I've enjoyed frequented the site and blog for years, because their buys and styling were worth the visit. They've made some really weak buys through the last year, though, and what on earth is with this vintage collection? $120 for a blue sweatshirt with stains on it? Really?
Their customer service remains immaculate, but some of this other stuff is almost uncomfortably bad to page through.

tbh, i can't believe anything is a cheap as $120 now. Even if it is a blobby piece of crap.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

]

this is a knee-jerk response to Drew's comments.

IMO, he would not disagree with what's being said here; just that his point was different.

this MC article explains it well: http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2008/04/enjoy-your-fashion-cycle.html

what is a knee jerk reaction, my post or the backlash against trends ? if the former, then i disagree, and if the latter, well it was his comment to begin with so cannot be a backlash as it is originally what he mentioned ...

that article didn't start out too well, suggesting that skinny pants for men were on the ascendancy in the past decade. it would seem this is a fashion cycle that has been around for quite some time, so you should question whether it's really a cycle at all ?

then talk of no longer noticing trends after your 30s -- well how many posters here are in or past their 30s ? if it's in reference to the general population it is not really relevant to SF which is a hobbyist's community (aside from lurkers that come for sales codes or those just wanting to look better than avg. person in street which is fine) so i don't know what that article explains well aside from the obvious fashion trend cycles...

Last edited:

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

Some asshole will buy this.

I like Blackbird for stock pictures. :eek:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

All I can think of right now is that if that is NYC in fall/winter, how ******* cold that guy must be in that first outfit. I was scootering around town today, with a sweater, a quilted vest, leather jacket, *and* a toque (sorry, beanie) and fingerless gloves, and was still cold.

scootering doesn't get that blood flowing :)

I came back early today from CT and was so blown away by how warm it was that I skated all day in basically a long sleeve shirt, an unbuttoned chambray, and an unzipped light cotton jacket :eek:

and I get cold very, very easily

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what is a knee jerk reaction, my post or the backlash against trends ? if the former, then i disagree, and if the latter, well it was his comment to begin with so cannot be a backlash as it is originally what he mentioned ...
that article didn't start out too well, suggesting that skinny pants for men were on the ascendancy in the past decade. it would seem this is a fashion cycle that has been around for quite some time, so you should question whether it's really a cycle at all ?
then talk of no longer noticing trends after your 30s -- well how many posters here are in or past their 30s ? if it's in reference to the general population it is not really relevant to SF which is a hobbyist's community (aside from lurkers that come for sales codes or those just wanting to look better than avg. person in street which is fine) so i don't know what that article explains well aside from the obvious fashion trend cycles...

To be clear: I agree with everything you wrote. I assume it was in response to Drew's comments. So yes, the former - I don't think anything you said is in disagreement with his comment.

the article was written in 2008. I don't know when skinny pants "came back" but i think there's clearly a mainstream cycle. Also, just because he said the general population don't notice trends after their 30s (could be true, i'm not 30), doesn't discount the rest of the article's relevance to nerds. I think your post, and the article, dispel the common mis-interpretation of the "fashion is temporary, style is permanent" quote. It's kinda saying that it's ok to wear things that you like, and, most importantly, things that seem "classic" are also often part of a trend.

and what Drew was saying wasn't the opposite of that:
As we go on in life, look back at the various trends, think about what happened between 2000-2010 in terms of clothes - this Rick DRKSHDW/Lilies doubleknit stuff and the copies it spawned (Tee by Wang, et al) will seem embarrassing that people gave it this much credence - there have been a lot of great clothes, huge menswear explosion, obviously too long for a single sentence - but in 10 or 15 years we will look at these 'experimental' altered pattern long tee shirts (that are really intended for 60 year old women who shop at Neiman Marcus) and say 'why did we spend $300 on those?'

i.e he's not saying that it's wrong to like these things, just don't take it as a way of life or anything like that. It's experimental stuff which; which makes it almost inherently flawed. Which doesn't stop it from being enjoyable, or even influencing the future of mainstream clothing. Just that it's not serious i think.

It's fashion, it's fun, enjoy it. it's not the embodiment of your personality or whatever.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The people at Assembly New York do a lot of dyeing of vintage stuff too (and now have their own line), but they seem considerably more consistent, and fits in with the "goth ninja" look (well, more like boho ninja these days) of the store and all their wares. Blackbird vintage doesn't look better than the stuff I used to buy from vintage stores in Boston for about 6 times less.

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was going through some of my old photos from a few years ago to as recent as 6 months and I have to say, some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts.

also made some killer petit pains au chocolat today, I need to utilize Kichi service to get me some rad japanese bakeware

Last edited:

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The people at Assembly New York do a lot of dyeing of vintage stuff too (and now have their own line), but they seem considerably more consistent, and fits in with the "goth ninja" look (well, more like boho ninja these days) of the store and all their wares. Blackbird vintage doesn't look better than the stuff I used to buy from vintage stores in Boston for about 6 times less.

And that's the problem. They can slap on copy to these pieces championing how grunge they are or whatever. It doesn't take away from these things looking like the chaff you'd pass over in even the shabbiest thrift shops. "Vintage" sections in boutiques that predominantly sell new items are kind of an inherently flawed concept because shop owners don't appear to sink many resources into acquiring stuff that isn't junk. And in the rare instances there's something worthwhile, the price tag is usually lofty enough that you might as well sink those funds into something better.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And that's the problem. They can slap on copy to these pieces championing how grunge they are or whatever. It doesn't take away from these things looking like the chaff you'd pass over in even the shabbiest thrift shops. "Vintage" sections in boutiques that predominantly sell new items are kind of an inherently flawed concept because shop owners don't appear to sink many resources into acquiring stuff that isn't junk. And in the rare instances there's something worthwhile, the price tag is usually lofty enough that you might as well sink those funds into something better.

It wasn't always a flawed concept. American Rag pioneered this a couple of decades ago, and they were amazing at mixing vintage with designer with true streetwear for a long time. That store is a shadow of what it was once.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Yeah, but it has raglan sleeves.
Some asshole will buy this.

This has nothing to do with your last post, but my ladyfriend's bosses (husband and wife) had a holiday party on Thursday, and their six-year-old son was way into Beyblade. I felt slightly less bewildered having known in advance that this was a "thing". Interesting to see it in the wild.

I still maintain that they're just oversized Spinjas. ;)

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stain looks like a dolphin, it's worth it.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, new years eve. Wtf do I wear? jeans, tucked ocbd, tweed sports jacket and a harris tweed tie? No tie and brown cord jacket? Tie and navy blue cotton sports coat? Forest green moleskin pants? Urgent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads