Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

why such backlash against trends ? a decade is not short enough it would seem to be deemed a trend but a style of that era. the 2000s will be remembered for the contributions of designers and how men's styling evolved from that point. i don't see validity in the argument that personal taste will change in 5, 10, 15 years because that's a rather obvious point that doesn't necessitate selectivity in deciding how to dress today. how much of a wardrobe really will last 15 years ? clothes are ultimately disposable, no matter the quality, and few pieces are intentionally designed with timescales spanning decades in mind (some obvious ones :- aldens and their resolability, filson bags that seem indestructible)

i am not endorsing fast fashion, nor purchasing garbage. but i don't think longevity (in excess) should be criteria for how anyone dresses. being grounded is one thing, being so impervious to change that a single aesthetic describes you for 25 years is just borderline dogmatic (or boring).

of course, i have pieces from a decade ago that are still in excellent condition but i don't wear them every day and i don't wear them the same way that i used to nor do i find them limiting in terms of new ways i'll wear them.

tl;dnr this is supposed to be a fun hobby and just another mode of self-description which can't be same from start to finish.

2. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

he seems to have come about later on in raf's career and yearns for the golden age of early (2002!) design that he doesn't have first hand experience with. well, anyway i get that from reading criticism of him on sz by other fashion writers. i still enjoyed some of his work in the past. i don't know of any other blogs worth following in terms of similar content focused exclusively on fashion [journalism] but our own members here have managed to create a few bookmark-worthy blogs and they usually avoid overlap that you might expect considering they all post here too heh

3. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

hmm you're right my view is a bit far away from reality
    from my point of view only the body/face or the woman itself or movements can be attractive/sexy/erotic/cute, clothes do not have an influence.
    i see garments only as objects and i'm only interested in the items alone
    when i buy clothing i don't put attracting girls into consideration, i even think that it is contraproductive when you look too "flawless" or the combination of the clothes in an outfit look too coherent. but deliberatly avoiding coherence is difficult, because then you are not satisfied.

i don't know, i actually don't like that i'm interested in fashion, i constantly regret that i read the forum etc., because i could use the time for reading about more profound things or things which are more helpful in career or studies. i slowly try to get out of the habit

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

4. sipang

sipang Senior member

oh god, I remember that hallway waywt, that off camera sigh...

5. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Nobody wants to be a fashion victim, and I think people see buying into trends as a kind of weakness, like you've been duped by some mysterious fashion elite into liking something stupid. Which may or may not be the case. Either way, we use trend as a derogatory term. I.e. if I call workwear a trend it's because I want to devalue it, make it seem frivolous.

Speaking of trends, remember last year when Synth and I were tucking our pants into our socks into our boots? I've seen that on girls around campus at least a dozen times recently. Never seriously thought it would catch on.

How can you like clothing and ignore its relationship to bodies? You seem to have a lot of half-baked ideas.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

this is actually the basis for the workwear fad :eek: We gotta bring it back to the mall sometimes....

7. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

hahaha no I wish, I'm sure its in goons.jpg or something though

here is a consolation prize

[​IMG]

the sigh is the best! so much self-hate in that one small gesture it's astounding

8. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

:laugh: so worth it to watch that.
    that and the skateboard vid should be posted at least once a month just to spruce up the place.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I dunno if you should read "more profound" (like what?) things if you don't even understand that clothing can change how the body is perceived. Clothes alter how you move, how your body is perceived and even how people see your face, Zeemon please!

10. BB1

BB1 Senior member

^^ This.

From Flugel's Pyschology of Clothes....

"This affect is known to psychologists as “confluence.” In this illusion, the mind fails to distinguish two things which under other circumstances are easily kept apart. The extension of the total (human) figure, really due to clothes, is unconsciously attributed to the body that wears them, as being the more vital and interesting portion of the whole."

11. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

john carl flügel , yeah i read this somewhere before
    but this is just a theory, I'd say that i consciously distinguish between the body itself and the body+clothes
    of course i don't imagine everyone nude, but it's not like everyone wears highly body-distorting clothes

12. Fuuma

You're also not influenced by marketing and stand outside social norms, yeah I've met your kind before, they're usually under 25 and should get a fucking grip. If you cannot be "fooled" by plays on proportions using clothing you also can't look at art, architecture or any of the wonderful visual/spatial/tactile creations and enjoy them and I am truly sad for you. Let us hope someday a cure is found for that most unique of birth defect.

More seriously it is not because you are aware that dressing oneself is a play on texture, proportions and colours that effect the way someone is perceived that you cannot be unconsciously influenced by it, everyone is and so are you.

13. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

okay, i think we should quit this stylezeitgeist-like jabbering and continue with the sf-typical swag swag baller yo dawg where2kop talk

14. Fuuma

No, I really need to know how you can be interested in clothing to the point of participating in an online forum about fashion and be that fucking clueless. It is a fascinating line of inquiry we cannot brush aside. I suggest you attempt to have a conversation with those mysterious breasted beings, you'll easily see that socialization has trained about every last one of them to think of clothing as something that alters how they are perceived, in fact even some of the most clueless girls often know what garments/cuts they should avoid and why (i.e. it makes their ass look big or something). Same thing with haircuts and makeup btw.

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

if this was SZ we'd be talking about how a fellow linguist hadn't earned the right to wear schneider yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.