Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

i only think the way of how fashion interest is perceived in the public, needs to be readjusted.
    i personally try to avoid to talk about fashion irl, not only because it is perceived as un-manly but also because most people i know have almost no lnowledge about it

2. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

sometimes yes

i think it shouldn't be a part of it

3. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

There is typically some sort of 'article' next to those pictures of the rippling abs with some sort of end goal to either lose fat'get abs or get larger pecs/biceps/shoulders. I use the word 'article' loosely because most of them are pretty much full of it. That model probably got his body by training on a regular basis since he was 15, and no amount of crunches will get your fat ass looking like that by summer.

4. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:

RO's not going to be remembered for those t-shirts, though. I was watching Ichi the Killer (2001) last night, and there's a scene in the beginning where three guys are wearing Rick leathers that I don't think he's produced in years - the ones with the little pocket in the back. I didn't recognize them til I looked it up online, but that shit's 10 years old and looks like it's from the future.

[​IMG]
    (Says the guy with a Rick leather for sale)

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

k, link to some good theory.

6. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Rereading my post after a bit of sleep I think I could have explained myself better. With regards to the gender binary thing, my problem isn't so much that she assumes there's a male/female, but that she sets them up like they're opposite ends of a spectrum and then uses masculine and feminine as shorthand for good and bad. I think she's right to call out the reductive way magazines look at men, but calling it their 'feminization' is kind of a problem. I think you're right about the sexuality bit, I wasn't understanding it correctly. Still disagree with her, though. If the problem is that magazines reduce men to one-dimensional stereotypes, I don't think being sexualized is going to fix that. Not that using open male sexuality wouldn't be an interesting response to the homophobia of magazines, but like everything else, I would expect magazines to represent male sexuality in a pretty simplistic way. I'm tired of the image of the ladies' man, the idea that male sexuality is aggressive, etc., and I'm sure that's what you'd see. It requires IMO an overall shift in the way we think of masculinity and how we act it out.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

i was really bored the other day and was wandering around my gf's mom's house and found some book about feminist and art from the 90s and its all about how sexuality is EVIL and VIOLENT and REGRESSIVE so masculine sexuality is clearly MAN RAPE

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

my small firm is able to reimburse $50 for shopping related to business attire (end of the year "bonus"). has to be business oriented

received my ebbets x OL hat from TBS and they were "kind" enough to mark the invoice and description as "trousers" -- "Men trousers, woven, cotton etc."

so essentially my job paid for my "discretionary spending" - hat even though they said business only. :lol:

(TBS always marks things randomly?)

9. DLester

DLester Senior member

The RO leather designs that looked good when first issued are holding up well and should be wearable for the foreseeable future. But he also makes a lot of ridiculous clothes too.

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I was in The Archive in SF last night and my wife loved everything in there. There goes ze moneyz :fu:

11. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

erotic talk reminds of these "fit pics" (NFSW) of raf lego sneakers :eek:

12. Teger

Teger Senior member

#menswear STRIKES AGINA!!!

13. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

:uhoh: "fitpics" of condoms?

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

This has nothing to do with the point at hand, in fact we both know there is good theory. You want me to point you out to Deleuze books on cinema on amazon.fr or something, would that make you happy?

The problem is you're using this absolutely all-over category of writings and conferences (theory), dismissing it in its entirety and doing it for reasons anyone that has ever been in academia is too familiar with; to position yourself, no matter how weakly in the cold war of pro/con "theory" that has been raging for decades. It's a nice career building tool for media intellectuals (i.e. people playing intellectuals on TV shows and newspapers cause real ones don't care anymore since they've known for a while "the intellectual" is dead) but anyone who is the very little bit honest and cultured knows "theory" is such a huge grab-bag of writers, interpretations and usages that quality and relevance varies widely and is anyway application-specific. So stop with this crap, I'm not a gullible grad and you won't get some pat in the back, you're smarter than that.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

How do you disengage sexuality/eroticism from dressing? Well I guess the MC forum points the way...

You also have to keep in mind that a majority of male stylists, designers and other males working in fashion ARE gay, should we McCarthy them out of the equation, isn't homosexual imagery part and parcel with contemporary fashion design?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.