Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

Lol at $15 haircut with 10 g outfit comment.

Unfortunate truth for so many cases...

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

yeah i totally wanna read a style blog written by a guy who wants to wear the same outfit every single day

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

What is annoying is that TOJ fanboys (not impolyt_one btw who is very clear about his design philosophy) keep recommending TOJ jackets as substitutes/equivalent of leathers that have nothing to do with the comparatively straight-laced TOJ offerings. TOJ is not competing with the elaborate, baroque or distressed designer jacket market and having the topic pop out in those threads is getting to be the equivalent of spam. Once again TOJ fanboys do this not the people working for the company.

4. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

while i dont have a lot of goth-ninja pieces or anything too extreme on that side, i dont think workwear is for everyone

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  5. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I don't see many people recommend Toj as a substitute for jackets like that, but maybe I am not paying attention.

6. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

yeah i've been there. it's pretty awesome, you should go. it is mostly what is online, but you know, you can actually touch it and try it on and shit. it's presented quite beautifully. sometimes they have some stock that isn't on the website, they have a huge closet of stuff in the back (mostly stuff that is or was online) that if you're nice enough they might let you into.

lolquoi. hey man i really like your posts most of the time but this is utter nonsense. you think someone writing for a magazine called fantastic man isn't going to assume a gender binary? she doesn't say men are one dimensional, she says magazines (like GQ and Men's Health) treat them that way. And she doesn't say men should start being objectified sex objects whatever the fuck that means, she says men shouldn't be afraid of being more sexually represented, particularly because of a fear of being labeled homosexual. I don't know about fucking Marc Jacobs. Whatever, it wasn't perfect but to me it was funny and on the right rack and a breath of fresh air and I think the idea is important to present to people that give two fucks about style and culture.

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

I don't mind AFL but I don't take any of his women studies posts seriously. they read like 'hey i just took WMN 311: Introduction to Critical Theory'

fwiw I think most higher level gender studies theory is nonsense :(

8. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

I disagree with it all being nonsense but trying to stick into every thing is pedantic/pointless/detrimental to what I see as the purpose of feminist thought. I dunno though.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

the problem with gender studies (and a lot of humanities disciplines) is that the current theory is so jargonistic that it's devoid of meaning or any relevance outside of a very narrow academic context.

or, http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

This is a load of crap. Please shut up student boy.

11. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

I think men's fashion magazines should not write about naked men, but about clothes, and also abandon pictures of half-naked ones from their magazines.
    how can these pictures not be labeled homosexual? these magazines are not made for females.
    the topic of fashion is already or still perceived as gay or feminine, so why are there so many pictures of muscular half-naked guys in these magazines? that doesn't improve the situation.

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

so every woman who reads women's fashion magazines is a lesbian?

13. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Why do you feel the need to rehabilitate your personal interests in the eyes of the larger culture? Do you feel ashamed for being interested in fashion/clothing?

14. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

i haven't read a lot of women's magazines, but pictures of naked girls in women's titles are bad too
    most of the readers are not lesbian, so they are not pleased by the pictures, they rather make them insecure about their own bodies, because they are not perfect like the photoshopped ones in the magazines.

so in conclusion i think, "erotic" pictures belong to erotic magazines, but not to lifestyle or fashion magazines

15. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

So pictures of naked men make you feel insecure about your own body, or what?

False dichotomy. Since when are eroticism not a part of fashion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.