1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sipang

sipang Distinguished Member

Voilà. I'm all for those designer threads (pretty sure I created some in the past too), I was just observing that upon reading your post I was not as enthusiastic about the idea as I would've been a year ago or so. I guess it has to do with how that kind of threads fared in the past (poorly), the increasingly high prices of those label and the half-joking (but half-serious) baller thing combined with the kilometric recent purchase lists but lacking any discussion or substance.

Naturally, having ppl knowledgeable about those brands would help avoid this but save for Raf (archival knowledge, vous ne pouvez plus ignorer, pictorial overload, 2002, sellout !, crazy shoes...) and a couple of others I'm not sure it can be done. I mean, where do you find a Givenchy expert, or a Balenciaga expert, that can tell you more than just how to size stuff ?

2. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

as with most brand-specific threads, actually perhaps all save the SS, they become how to size halp. example was the common projects thread where new releases were made fun of then everyone bought them all anyway, and a bit later it became if i wear a size 19 penny loafers with tassels which is my CP size ? same can be said about the APC thread, I brought up a jacket once one person offered to sell me his and that was it, buried under the 34509 subsequent questions involving pictures of men's general waist areas. there is no point, i have become a pessimist, nobody cares anymore, overrun by maniac serial buyers. now answer my ? about buying that other thing

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

3. sipang

And I get that not everyone is interested in "serious discussions about designers" or anything past the stockists list or sizing chart and that people just want to wear their shit and I do too but as it was pointed above that's the difference between the fashion forum that you want and the shopping forum that you get.

edit: outposted

But to be constructive here's a list of threads that (imho) could probably be interesting if they wanted to, mostly because the breadth and depth of those labels would allow an easier sustenance : Yohji, AnnD, CdG etc

4. driveslowk

driveslowk Distinguished Member

I tried to make a general thread to discuss jil / raf / balen / etc, a while ago but it never really took off.

5. sipang

The official Designer thread was/is great and probably the best suited format for that kind of discussions in the current state of SW&D. Time for a bump.

I also found this early and valiant effort I had forgotten about, it's like the ancestor of the Let's not talk about thread. Respect.

6. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Distinguished Member

7. driveslowk

driveslowk Distinguished Member

I was so into this back then, I am embarrassed reading my old posts!

8. clark kent

clark kent Senior Member

this made me go back and find my first thread on this forum, made in '09 under a different and completely ridiculous username. if i bumped it, i would instantly receive so much flack and hate i would probably have to leave the forum. i'm not sure why i thought it was a good idea to post my full-on life story for my first thread. its probably a good thing i changed names, otherwise posters like Teger would have a field day with me.

hints: the username was a pun on raw denim, that just so happens to rhyme with my real life last name and was bumped by Lane in '10 to comment on how "epic" and "old" it was. :lurk:

9. tween_spirit

Ohhh so you were that guy who posted about rubbing semen on your neck every day as some kind of pheromone to attract women? Pretty gross stuff man. Can't believe you also admitted to rubbing it into your jeans (?)

10. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

my first posts were probably about raw denim, j crew, and red wings :embar:

im all for jil/raf/balenciaga/ysl/prada thread. dont know anything about givenchy, minus the doggy shirts, which i kinda like :hide:

11. clark kent

clark kent Senior Member

holy shit. i didnt expect to get caught that fast. it only took you 2 minutes to look the thread up, or was it a random guess?

12. sipang

tween_spirit

is

[​IMG]

Welcome to the Grid

13. tween_spirit

oh I'll always remember it because I really took that advice to heart and it's worked out super well for me (0)

Also as a heads up to anybody that has ever bought clothing from me!

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This is not far from the truth in any hobbyist forum, actually. It's like that old Seinfeld bit, when Jerry discusses how much more interesting museums would be if there were price tags on the pieces. If more people were buying Balenciaga or Lanvin, I'm sure that there would be more discussion about the pieces. And even then, discussion would veer in the "shud I kop" direction. Look at SZ. Despite the valiant, misguided efforts of Faust and the real diehards, the majority of readers are browsing and posting in the classifieds and the shopping sections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.