Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I think the problem is that a lot of people just aren't that interested in a lot of the names like Jil, Raf, Bal, etc anymore. Yeah, there are a few buyers here who purchase a lot, but I don't think it will take off quite like our new hero Schneider who is riding the almost-hyped-but-still-a-bit-out-of-most-people's-price-range train. All I ever hear anymore is raf is dead or if it's not jil blob/face/flower shirt why are we still talking about jil?

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

The Schneider thread works because of the relatively limited availability/visibility of the label, the attractive prices and the home-run quality of the Frozen Waves collection.

Also, I personally don't feel very inspired to post in a Balenciaga or Jil thread (or Givenchy, really ?), it's just blehhh... You can post the runway pics and a couple purchases but then what ? It's not that those labels suck but I just want to buy my Raf sweater and wear it, not talk about it. I feel like all the interesting stuff has been said/seen/discussed/is over.

Blob.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

3. g transistor

Yeah, I think the limited availability helps keep the thread alive too. And it's not really that expensive, but when I was typing that I had ervell fairisles on the mind.

4. APK

APK Senior member

Geller seems to attract enough buyers here each season that its own stand alone thread could work. Teger popping in to talk about how shitty Geller is would also ensure some longevity to the thread.

5. sipang

sipang Senior member

I use Ervell fairisles as bath towels.

6. Desi

Desi Senior member

Might as well make the Geller thread the desi party thread. Because I would be the only real poster. Well me and my alias'

7. jwkicks

jwkicks Senior member

Check out styleguise. Threads for Lanvin, Balenciaga, Jil, etc., with runway pics, questions about individual pieces, post ups of recent purchases, etc. Just need more users to really get it going.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

nobody posts on styleguise dude

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

would require scans of receipts though

10. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

that's probably true, but to quote bb1:alien:, "Not everyone wants to be forced to choose between only low-end basics or expensive pieces that scream "design".
    there's no denying that most pieces put out by the big fashion houses are not as edgy as they used to be or as interesting/conceptual as smaller/emerging designers but
    (i) there are still gems here and there each season in terms of design or (failing that) quality
    (ii) there's a place for dedicated threads on these brands given the relatively conservative demographics of SF as a whole and the fact that it's simply odd, in a fashion forum, not to have a thread on, say, YSL or Balenciaga or Givenchy given their importance in the history of fashion and (even putting that aside) in today's fashion world
    (iii) the forum would be so much more interesting/educational if it had posters with a variety of tastes and corresponding expertise, like someone who's *really* knowledgeable about YSL like Spoo is about Versace or like jet is about jil, or a Givenchy expert who can speak as informedly about the brand as rach can about high-end designer bags. i often feel that there are way more one liner opinion posts on SF (ignoring, of course, sales posts) than posts from which one can actually learn something about the fashion world/industry. Also, because of (i), the presence of such posters could help us tell the gems from filler pieces

none of this is trying to convince those who dismiss the big fashion houses as boring or uninspired otherwise. simply to suggest that it wouldn't make the forum a worse place, and very likely a better place, if it had threads on those houses.
    but if the creatively inclined posters cannot tolerate their existence, maybe something like a separate sub-forum a la sufu/sz, or SG as jwkicks suggested would be a good idea ...

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

*poses next to rented boxster*

12. g transistor

I don't think anyone's opposed to it, I think it's been done before. Just sayin why they don't get attention like schneider.

13. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

he bought it since he is making even more than before and didn't necessarily need personal mode of transport back then anyway, aside from vespa that the cop ruined ("these are margielas :angry: ")

14. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

yeah the post wasn't specifically targeted at your reply, but more at the tendency among many to explicitly dismiss the fashion houses (often in threads like RP or Should I) which may be having a chilling effect on discussion, and perhaps also suggestion to Fok to foster such discussion (how cool would it be for SF as a fashion forum it has e.g. a Balenciaga thread that's as successful as its Schneider thread?)

15. tangential

tangential Senior member

This is a fashion shopping forum (imo).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.