Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Last time I ordered from them, I din't get any customs charges. They also had the best price I've seen on DRKSHDW jeans, I believe I got my pair for $125 from them.

2. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

thats cool. i hope they dont do that anymore.

3. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

they're not the ones charging you customs fees.....................................

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yah, it's the shipping method. Usually, I only get charged through UPS or FedEx, not USPS.

5. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Anybody tried having a long-sleeve BD turned into a short-sleeve BD? I think I'm gonna ask my tailor to give it a shot, and I'm wondering if there are any considerations I should take into account.

I'm guessing I'll want to have the sleeve tapered, but I'd rather wait until it's already in short-sleeve mode before deciding.

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

You could do this yourself w/o sewing -- just turn your shirt (or a test shirt) inside out, cut the sleeves to the desired length, roll the edges until they appear uniform, then seal them with hemming tape (I think it's called).

7. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

why is it the plaid/madras shirts are the most risky for me. anytime i buy some online if i don't like it for whatever reason takes forever to sell and gotta sell always a lot lower. but with the regular safe solid colors/traditional they sell fairly quickly and with regular prices?

i also hate how some sites have way too good photography and editing to make clothing look better than it really does.

8. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

^^ Eh, I think I'd rather let my tailor take care of it. I could probably do most of the alterations I get - darting, tapering, and hemming, usually - on my own, but I'd rather have a professional do them.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  9. APK

APK Senior member

I think you answered your own question.

10. whatever123

you're right, its fed ex. but have never had to pay custom charges from any other euro retailer i use. i think if its over a certain value they charge you ... at least that was what i was told by the fed ex person. in fact, prior to delivery fed ex called me asking what was in the package. then they tax you on the declared value.

my point is other retailers work around the customs issues.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Sometimes FedEx just lets it slip by. I've ordered from many EU stores and only Royal Mail who hands the package to USPS is the only one that hasn't charged me with any customs fee. FedEx & UPS are almost always going to charge you but there have been occasions when it slipped by. The only work around it is if you ask to lower the value of the item on the package and less than a handful of stores are able/willing to do this.

12. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

WW doesn't lower the fee because it is illegal in Portugal to do so and Joao likes to stay in compliance of national law. Not sure if there are stricter penalties in Portugal but it is what it is, I still got stuff much cheaper through him than elsewhere even after factoring in customs fees which I only received once anyway.

Contrast that with Doshaburi, who uses either UPS or spanish national postal service but stopped using them with heightened security related to 9/11 so stuck now with UPS, along with no deduction for VAT and shipping cost as a function of weight. Basically the price shown goes up 33% after all is said and done

And another example, SEVEN just marked my item as 50eur with no other documentation and labeled as gift using Finnish postal service to be handed to USPS so I don't think I should expect customs fees.

This is not standardized at all and if you're not satisfied with the already huge discounts WW is offering because there may 3rd party fees why order from them ? they don't have exclusive stock really

13. whatever123

i dont anymore, but they are super cool. the items i bought from them were not on sale so i was a little pissed. but if i bought one of their heavily discounted sale items it wouldnt bother me.

14. APK

APK Senior member

If you're already paying retail for an item, do the customs fees really make that much of a difference?

15. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

i i wish there were more designer/collection specific threads on SF, schneider thread has been hugely successful even SZ-ers have to check here for schneider info
    if there existed threads for raf, jil, balenciaga, givenchy, geller, ysl etc. I believe they'd flourish as well, given the interest and resourcefulness of sf posters
    it would also be a good thing for the forum, more concentrated threads → search-engine friendliness → more quality traffic, IMO
    those threads exist on sufu but there seems to be so little traffic on there these days

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.