Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

[​IMG]

Farewell glorious chainmail.

2. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

It took me like 30 seconds to find out what was happening to your feet

3. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

I only took the picture b/c a fit pic was requested, didn't bother to put socks or shoes on ahhaa.

4. BB1

BB1 Senior member

If it really bugs you then I guess you have two choices: Start wearing equally drab beige chinos and a light blue button down shirt every day or quit your job. I suggest the later.

It is well established that people are concerned with being seen as "normal" in relation to their peers. What most consider to be stylish attire is a state of dressing like your peers, but ever so slighter better (or different) than them. Being a relative comparison, one can only move so far away from the norm. Thus if one accepts your point of view and lives in an environment where nobody places much value on style, then they really have no choice but to dress somewhat drably and poorly (as defined by the commonly held standards on this forum).

The same dynamic applies to how people decide their ideal weight. With thinness being prized, individuals asses themselves in relation to others as opposed to using an absolute scale. Slightly thinner than everyone else is good, but grossly thinner will be viewed as a sickness. Thus if you live in an environment of grossly overweight people and desire the social capital associated with thinness, you cannot truly be thin (again, as defined by this forum's standards).

Obviously for many posters there is a huge chasm between the unnatural environment created by this forum vs. that of the member's world outside of the forum. Even the most celebrated WAYWT posters are frequently wearing outfits that match no environment anywhere outside of attending a fashion show. Not a condemnation, just an observation.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

5. Lane

Lane Senior member

ive never thought of that, no one calls me out for my clothes, but people act like my weight is freakish...im only 137 lbs, 5' 9".

pretty dumb, but that makes sense now BB1.

also, a lot of fashion/clothings purpose is also to challenge environment sort of like some architecture does.

6. BB1

BB1 Senior member

They call you out on your weight because thinness is something they value themselves and are thus comparing themselves against you. But since most people in the US don't concern themselves much with style, they're not as likely to actively compare clothing differences.

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

And here I was all these years thinking that athleticism was prized rather than thinness. Sorry, I lack any pent up jealousy that you speak of.

8. BB1

BB1 Senior member

Being athletic is not the opposite of thinness as you imply. When I speak of "thinness" I'm referring to the opposite of being overweight or fat.

9. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

What would you have done without that handy acronym at your fingertips? You might have had to spend about 2 seconds coming up with it like I did.

Also, a little shocked at the serious responses to my obviously not-profound "Profound thoughts." Seriously guys, are you lost without the sarcasm meter? :rotflmao:

Throne of Blood is the best Shakespeare movie. Shore, that would ToB, in case you still don't get the concept.

ughh...so hungover...

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Heading to Tokyo for Christmas and Cambodia for New Years, Happy New Years internet~~

Guidi boots ready for Cambodia:
    [​IMG]

11. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

Holy shit you're only 5'9"? I could have sworn when we met up you were like 6'2". Those boots must have been huge. lol

12. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

santa snow bringing the deals today!!

550 shipped for stone island blazer :devil:

13. APK

APK Senior member

Throne of Blood was my introduction to Kurosawa oh so many years ago, and for that, it remains one of my favorites by him (second behind only Ikiru).

Elsewhere, saw a really pretty girl dressed nicely at dinner last night. Her male companion was wearing faded dad jeans and a long-sleeved Under Armor shirt.

14. Lane

Lane Senior member

looooooooool

ugh, I dunno I might be 5' 10" actualyl, I dont really pay attention, but yes the shoes I wear give me quite a height increase.

15. APK

APK Senior member

Rick Owens sneakers featured on Yahoo in a piece about expensive footwear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.