• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't stand it when people (usually newbies) bump a thread in the B&S forum that's at least a few months old. Especially when it's something I might have had interest in, only to realize the thread is only again relevant because some schlub bumped it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Look at pria (blackbird), jcrew (most of them are made in england), and Beggs of Scotland (Winn Perry).

There are all sorts of reasons for why some scarves are expensive, but there are also many great scarves available for under $100.

I was just about to say that if you want a good deal on scarves, go with a company that specializes in them. You'll generally get a good product at a better price than from a fashion house.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Look at pria (blackbird), jcrew (most of them are made in england), and Beggs of Scotland (Winn Perry). There are all sorts of reasons for why some scarves are expensive, but there are also many great scarves available for under $100.
Thanks for the recs. I like some of them. I was more just wondering about the scarf business and if it was basically just a cash cow for some brands like most accessories, bags, sunglasses, fragrances are. As to fok's response, i'm not as interested in the MC side of it in sourcing the highest quality i possibly can for the money. I'd like it to be comfy and not give me a rash but also be pretty cool and modern maybe. Some of the schneider scarves are kinda cool but $$$. I actually have this really nice thick wool charcoal chunky knit one from the Gap i bought off of Chris (i miss him. he still around on sz or something?) and someone could easily wear it to an SZ meetup and no one would notice

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I can't stand it when people (usually newbies) bump a thread in the B&S forum that's at least a few months old. Especially when it's something I might have had interest in, only to realize the thread is only again relevant because some schlub bumped it.

If the poster is a true noob, chances are that they found the site using google or another search engine, and didn't really bother investigating the site before posting.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Thanks for the recs. I like some of them. I was more just wondering about the scarf business and if it was basically just a cash cow for some brands like most accessories, bags, sunglasses, fragrances are. As to fok's response, i'm not as interested in the MC side of it in sourcing the highest quality i possibly can for the money. I'd like it to be comfy and not give me a rash but also be pretty cool and modern maybe. Some of the schneider scarves are kinda cool but $$$. I actually have this really nice thick wool charcoal chunky knit one from the Gap i bought off of Chris (i miss him. he still around on sz or something?) and someone could easily wear it to an SZ meetup and no one would notice

I understand where you are coming from. My favorite scarf is actually an olive and gray one from Wings+Horns FW06, with ragged edges and a leather tassle. Retail for that was about $100. I think that for what you are looking for, the mid-market, niche brands is going to hit the sweet spot. It's also one area Yoox's terrible descriptions don't matter.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
True, i forgot about yoox. Thanks for that. I guess i was less interested in where to find them but in why some are costing crazy amounts especially when it's a brand like schneider where the quality and fabrics are better than average but i've never noticed anything out of this world.

Brinbro

Reaction score
I really like some of the Faliero Sarti scarves on Blackbird, but this same discussion makes me wonder if I would be a sucker for buying one?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I own a pria scarf, its warm and nice, but be warned: It's kind of short. I like that personally, but you might not

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Jean Shop doesn't have a western vibe? ORLY? It's not just the bright orange stitching, nor the cartoon, san serifs font used on their leather patch and leather goods, it's all of the branding, the products offered, the stores, the entire package.
I just don't buy it.

The choice of pumpkin stitching has zero western significance. Sans serif well pre-dates the late 1800s. Many other stores offer leather goods but are not necessarily associated as western. As I stated before with Nudie, offering western shirts (calling Urban Outfitters!!!) does not a western store make.

Speaking of leather goods, they also sell barn jackets and motorcycle jackets. Unless Back to The Future III was actually a documentary, I doubt they had very many motorcycles in ye olde west.

Is there at least some hint of the west in the store or collection? Absolutely and undeniably so, but there's a huge leap for me, personally, from the store's flavor to calling Jean Shop jeans "western" jeans.

My original query was why, assuming that you had previously never heard of the brand and a pair of jeans fell into your lap, you would classify these jeans a certain way based on the color of the stitching and the font on the leather patch. There was no historical context or clues (hello riri) that screamed that to me the way it clearly did with you.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Good job fixing the forum guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics