Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sipang

sipang Senior member

Buying quality stuff is better because* it's more expensive which means it'll take longer/be slower which means it'll be more adaptive to your inexorably changing tastes, which means you won't find yourself stuck with 25 OCBDs when you decide to go full gothninja (and if you still get stuck with stuff you don't want anymore, at least it'll have some resale value).

* I do not guarantee the validity of the following line of reasoning

2. Desi

Desi Senior member

pfft. It is worth spending in your price range for what you figure is the best fit. No shame in buying uniqlo vintage chinos or dockers alpha khaki if they fit you and wear great. Much more reasonable than spending the $200 or so for Unis chinos. I feel it is even more so in the case of ties, for a lot of people tiebar or $75 J.press/brooks does the job better than $170+ for Jil or Lanvin.

I too spend more on shoes then anything else but I love shoe design more than anything too.

Quality also leads to forums like this hyping ugly pea coats and fat toe shoes. Tricking the masses out of hundreds.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  3. Meis

Meis Senior member

Same here, 2 of the 3 PS shoes I have I got in near new condition for less than $100 and both CPs I have I got for less than $150. Outerwear and 1 suit are the only things I've spent over $200 on.

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

i've spent $200+ on.. a few pairs of shoes, some jeans and i think an outdoorsy type jacket and a sweater. i basically make very, very few purchase a year now and most of those are just cheap basics, with 1-2 nice things mixed in (for example im gonna buy some good boots with holiday cash)

5. APK

APK Senior member

Spending a grip on footwear makes sense, especially boots, since there's such a marked difference between the low-to-mid-end offerings and the more expensive options. Outerwear is the same, albeit a less extreme difference. You can find some pretty good outerwear at really reasonable prices. The appeal of the more expensive outerwear, for the most part, is in the design. Materials are obviously better, but the main sell for me on a lot of this outerwear is in the actual design.

Jeans, I dunno. I bought into the raw denim hype years ago, even though I never found a pair that fit me well enough to actually beat to shit and reap the benefits of wearing it. If you don't care about epic fades and thick leather patches, you can find some good looking denim in the Uniqlo price bracket.

With shirts, I'm cool with it so long as it fits well, has a decent collar, and won't fall apart. I only pony up more cash when I come across a print that I really like. I'd like to indulge more with tees from particular brands. I don't, but if I had a little more cash to burn, I'd scoop up a lot of Odyn Vovk tees at discount. Those things feel amazing.

6. APK

APK Senior member

Also, I agree with the sentiments about quality items being there for reasonable prices if you can scope things out for sale season (i.e. this time of year). I've actually got some money to throw around right now (though I'm being logical for once and just putting most of it away for a rainy day) and I think I know what I like enough at this point that I could really strengthen my wardrobe with some great items at deep discounts right now.

The problem a lot of people run into is that they indulge in this orgy of savings before they're really sure what they like / what best suits them. Or they buy into hype or the idea of great deals. So they end up with shit that doesn't work for them or that they don't really like and then we get a lot of extra pages in the B&S forum.

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

if there was a uniqlo around, i would buy all my clothes from there and save my money for outerwear and shoes.

roll like mellow, he knows

8. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Once I was browsing some shit in a record store and this fat sassy dude walks in through the door wearing the same shirt, we make eye contact, and he lets out an exceedingly flamboyant, "Well this is awkward." I stopped wearing j.crew and commoner plaids altogether that day.

9. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior member

the raw denim things sort of hit or miss imo, if you find a pair that fits how you like its fantastic but otherwise ehhhhh. i got a pair of momo 701s and apc ns i wear all the time and i pretty much dont touch anything else

10. Lane

Lane Senior member

man, I hate all of you...I spend way too much.

11. APK

APK Senior member

I think I remember you mentioning that after it happened. Flannels and plaid are so commonplace now that it's easy to look like another face in the crowd. Like I said, the only shirts I really go for now are unique prints. Nothing like Uncontrol used to hang in his closet, but if there's not something interesting about the shirt, then I'm not really into it these days.

It's too bad I couldn't find a pair I really liked when I was still dedicated to the idea of wearing the same pair of jeans for months and months. Every time I see a pair of really worn APC's, I get the itch to pick up a pair, but the putting up with the really dark indigo denim for months on end to get to that point isn't something I have the patience for right now.

12. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior member

yea i dont have the super sick fadezzz thing going yet, my apcs are black so they are alot slower to fade, and i dont wear my momos as much as my apcs so the fades on those are going to take a long while

13. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

As far as raw denim is concerned, the only reason to buy high-end is because you like what comes with it, whether it's the cut, the details, the slub, the sheer nerdiness of it. If you get a decent fit out of Uniqlo or N&F or something, and you don't care how old the Singer machine that chainstitched your hem was or whether your denim was woven on looms that escaped Japanese POWs snatched from the crumbling ruins of the Cone Mills factories as they fled the country or something, there's no reason to get into the Self Edge/BiG type of stuff.

Anyway, I personally prefer to sink more money into things that will last and look better with wear - boots, leather jackets, and denim - and just buy whatever I like that doesn't outright suck for the rest of it.

14. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

The Triple Works denim I bought on a whim turned out to be the best fitting jeans I have ever owned but its $300 a pair so I guess Ill be wearing the same pair for next 10 years :uhoh:

15. Desi

Desi Senior member

I just wear my same pair of Levis over and over like they were raw. Wear in just fine and don't need to throw them in the wash often. Still I would love a new pair if I can find them as they are my favorite pair of denim I own.

I'll check on ebay right now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.