• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
just ordered some @OakStBootmakers Camp Boots as an Xmas present to me. Have heard wonderful things about them.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2012/01/prisoners-of-style-201201

"For most of the last century, America’s cultural landscape—its fashion, art, music, design, entertainment—changed dramatically every 20 years or so. But these days, even as technological and scientific leaps have continued to revolutionize life, popular style has been stuck on repeat, consuming the past instead of creating the new."

Haven't read through the article yet, but I suspect it wouldn't take more than a minute or two to debunk this.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

also i dont know what to buy my gf for the holidays. the problem is that we live together and are both poor, so i think she'd be like 'why didn't you just spend this money on food or paying our bills!!!!'

Whatever you do, don't sell your pocket watch to pay for the purchase of a set of nice combs.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2012/01/prisoners-of-style-201201
"For most of the last century, America’s cultural landscape—its fashion, art, music, design, entertainment—changed dramatically every 20 years or so. But these days, even as technological and scientific leaps have continued to revolutionize life, popular style has been stuck on repeat, consuming the past instead of creating the new."
Haven't read through the article yet, but I suspect it wouldn't take more than a minute or two to debunk this.

The main gist of his argument is that humans have a limited capacity to accept change in their lives and that given the considerable technological progress made within the past two decades it is no surprise that culturally America is similar compared to the decade prior. However, his line of reasoning presupposes that the culture is indeed similar to begin with. Purely on the music front, early 90s pop sounds laughably dated compared to even early Green Day. I think all of us here know the difference between our decade and the 90s in terms of clothing fit and silhouette too.

The final nail in the coffin however, is that his line of reasoning does not account for 1910s-1930s and 1950s-1970s. Both time periods had both massive technological and cultural change, unless going from air gliders to war planes and then going to the moon count as 'minor' changes.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
am only one who thinks this is terrible ?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
now i'm disinclined to buy those duckshadow shorts ........................... if he can't help himself how can he help me :cry:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

also i dont know what to buy my gf for the holidays. the problem is that we live together and are both poor, so i think she'd be like 'why didn't you just spend this money on food or paying our bills!!!!'

Teg howbout some homemade stuff? I don't know, meaningful necklace or bracelet or something? Even earrings? cookbooks to use together?

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
it works for him because he's so, so ugly

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

Teg howbout some homemade stuff? I don't know, meaningful necklace or bracelet or something? Even earrings? cookbooks to use together?

she is pretty crafty so i was thinking some good tailoring shears or something.. i don't know. a cookbook is a pretty good idea. maybe a dress form?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

it works for him because he's so, so ugly

i see the similarity

but it's not because of his perceived attractiveness (or lack thereof) , nor his wrinkled face that shows his age -- well beyond that of a child playing dress-up. i just don't like the lack of color nor the way in this instance the shoes look like he robbed shaq's closet. but my problem is, if he can't be trusted with his own productions, who can ?!

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can also get Cricket looms for like 60$ I think, and roving is pretty cheap if there's a craft store in town - weaving is kind of a relaxing thing to do, easier than knitting, and she might like the novelty

edit- nvm the roving, i guess she'd need yarn unless she has a spinning wheel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads