• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
0bjzS.jpg

:satisfied:

Last edited:

miran

Reaction score
Shahanshah, I was to reply earlier--where on Earth did you eat Somali food? Seems rather sardonic to have Somali restaurants, given what's going on right now in Somali territory...I don't want to seem cold, but if I think Somali and food now, I think Red Cross high-protein peanut paste (the stuff Prince William licked and scowled, and Kate refused to try)....

I have difficulty eating hot/spicy food. I only went to an Ethiopian restaurant once, few years ago. All i remember was the giant spongy sour pancake and they put all these brightly colored "dishes"--small portions of them--all over the pancake. everything was so overcooked i couldn't recognize anything...and everything was very peppery. there was red, bright purple, bright green, brown, dark brown, orange....and the raw minced meat as well, which was also spicy. It rather turned me off. We chatted with the waiter afterwards--he spoke perfect English, he said he was Kenyan.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Shahanshah, I was to reply earlier--where on Earth did you eat Somali food? Seems rather sardonic to have Somali restaurants, given what's going on right now in Somali territory...

I have difficulty eating hot/spicy food. I only went to an Ethiopian restaurant once, few years ago. All i remember was the giant spongy sour pancake and they put all these brightly colored "dishes"--small portions of them--all over the pancake. everything was so overcooked i couldn't recognize anything...and everything was very peppery. there was red, bright purple, bright green, brown, dark brown, orange....and the rare minced meat as well, which was also spicy. It rather turned me off. We chatted with the waiter afterwards--he spoke perfect English, he said he was Kenyan.

was actually nearby, but the more ghetto adjacent town. there is a large somali population, so much so that the word refugee is a bit inaccurate -- they are quite established round these parts. I must say, in comparison to the Ethiopian places I've tried it was far superior, the shining light of Africa's horn if you will.

What did not make sense was the massive portions, I at 2.5 meals from one single order (unlike you I don't eat to the point of bodily harm) and all the ingredients, while properly cooked, were still distinguishable. The lentil soup on the house was a nice touch, a creamy delicious puree of warmed spices and sweet something or other in it.

It seems that once in a first world country, the rather small-framed east Africans quickly tend to overeating in excessive abundance (yes, the double emphatic nature of that statement was intended). I had never imagined a country plagued by such strife and drought and famine could produce 2nd generation spawns so willing to counteract what their compatriots suffered by simply enacting the complete opposite here. I actually felt guilty while eating. Interestingly, first generation African immigrants, while dressing indistinguishable from their American counterparts, usually want nothing to do with the blacks -- but as soon as you hit second generation, it becomes a case of 'where is Africa?'

Last edited:

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love good Ethiopian food. It is surprisingly easy to get in Seattle, who woulda thunk it.

miran

Reaction score

aldens are less bulbous than you think.

Brother, they are humungous! I have a pair of Alden 403s...I can use them to do weight training! So heavy, they are unwearable.

Last edited:

miran

Reaction score

was actually nearby, but the more ghetto adjacent town. there is a large somali population, so much so that the word refugee is a bit inaccurate -- they are quite established round these parts. I must say, in comparison to the Ethiopian places I've tried it was far superior, the shining light of Africa's horn if you will.
What did not make sense was the massive portions, I at 2.5 meals from one single order (unlike you I don't eat to the point of bodily harm) and all the ingredients, while properly cooked, were still distinguishable. The lentil soup on the house was a nice touch, a creamy delicious puree of warmed spices and sweet something or other in it.
It seems that once in a first world country, the rather small-framed east Africans quickly tend to overeating in excessive abundance (yes, the double emphatic nature of that statement was intended). I had never imagined a country plagued by such strife and drought and famine could produce 2nd generation spawns so willing to counteract what their compatriots suffered by simply enacting the complete opposite here. I actually felt guilty while eating. Interestingly, first generation African immigrants, while dressing indistinguishable from their American counterparts, usually want nothing to do with the blacks -- but as soon as you hit second generation, it becomes a case of 'where is Africa?'

I wouldn't lump Somalis with "blacks", shahanshah. Black in America (I am not American, but my take at least) is a different beast altogether than Somalis...who are a unique ethnic group, Muslims, keep themselves to themselves, their own language, closer racially to Arabs than other "black africans"....

This woman lived in Holland until recently....she is the loudest voice about Somalia here, and she is on the crusade to defame Somali culture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali

you should check out some of her stuff--I don't know what to believe, and what is just propaganda...

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I have a glass milk bottle, I am tempted to use it as decoration. Should I make a miniature replical vessel, perhaps a miniature replica Queen Ann's Revenge to place inside ?

or one of those post-modernist decorations faux-intellectuals enjoy, made of coffee beans and a green stalk ?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

I wouldn't lump Somalis with "blacks", shahanshah. Black in America (I am not American, but my take at least) is a different beast altogether than Somalis...who are a unique ethnic group, Muslims, keep themselves to themselves, their own language, closer racially to Arabs than other "black africans"....

This woman lived in Holland until recently....she is the loudest voice about Somalia here, and she is on the crusade to defame Somali culture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali

you should check out some of her stuff--I don't know what to believe, and what is just propaganda...

note I said 2nd generation -- as in born and raised here, reluctant to stay within the confines of their ethnic culture.

Ayaan-Hirsi is an interesting character, she was shown to have defrauded the Dutch government by making up wild tales about some abusive past with death threats whereas she just wanted to escape an arranged marriage. Her father refused to speak to her until he lay on his death bed, and she was removed from her post in the parliament there. Now she is on a self-hating crusade in the US/UK/Netherlands to make her point about 1.5 billion people being slaves of a message of horrible violence lurking in the shadows waiting for the opportunity to consume all of humanity. yes, I know a bit about her :foo:

Last edited:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have a glass milk bottle, I am tempted to use it as decoration. Should I make a miniature replical vessel, perhaps a miniature replica Queen Ann's Revenge to place inside ?

or one of those post-modernist decorations faux-intellectuals enjoy, made of coffee beans and a green stalk ?

make the world's tiniest pair of drop crotch pants, and put them on the world's tiniest bear figurine.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

make the world's tiniest pair of drop crotch pants, and put them on the world's tiniest bear figurine.

this, my dear tween, is the single most useful and relevant advice I've received on this site to date. oustanding A+++

AJPA

Reaction score

aldens are less bulbous than you think.

Yea, maybe chunky is a better word? Something signifying less sleek, I can't think of it right now. I don't mean this as a bad thing, just is a consideration when wearing them. I think asobu/zissou/etc have worn chunky boots well (Redwing GTs to be exact)

Is Never Let Me Go worth a read if Im a busy dude with not much time to read? or should I look for something better to spend my time?

miran

Reaction score

note I said 2nd generation -- as in born and raised here, reluctant to stay within the confines of their ethnic culture.
Ayaan-Hirsi is an interesting character, she was shown to have defrauded the Dutch government by making up wild tales about some abusive past with death threats whereas she just wanted to escape an arranged marriage. Her father refused to speak to her until he lay on his death bed, and she was removed from her post in the parliament there. Now she is on a self-hating crusade in the US/UK/Netherlands to make her point about 1.5 billion people being slaves of a message of horrible violence lurking in the shadows waiting for the opportunity to consume all of humanity. yes, I know a bit about her :foo:

well, she does know how to stir **** up in the Tweede Kamer, Shahahshah....and there is no shortage of people to help her and cheer her on...but that's just stupid Dutch politics....and it doesn't necessarily discredit her in the point she keeps making about Somali and Muslim culture generally...this is what I am not sure whether to believe or dismiss as propaganda...

Iman is also Somali, but too busy ******* David Bowie to give a **** about Somalia...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads