Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lane

Lane Senior member

kill it with fire

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

If you come out of Harvard, and you want to work for a big firm in Boston, you are looking at something like $120K. A lot of people going into HLS come in with the intention of doing Constitutional Law, and apparently, reality hits somewhere in Y3, and it's like "woah", and 90% of them go into Corporate Law, just to be able to pay off their debts. That big paycheck is dearly earned. I know scores of HLS and Yale Law graduates my age who constantly bemoan their lack of a social life, the monotony of their jobs, their inability to have a relationship, etc... It's not like $160K is all fun and games either. Yeah, you can afford to buy shit and eat out, but in any major cosmopolitan area, $160K translates into a lot lower spending power. The costs of living can easily add up. If you want to have a family - things like childcare, nannies, larger apartment spaces, etc... can easily make you one of those people making good money, but still worrying about it constantly.

Just a reality check. In other fashion thoughts - retail continues to crawl. Good sales should be had. Not necessarily a good thing, because it means that less and less will be available, and more and more buyers will buy conservatively.

3. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

I actually really enjoyed this discussion and others like it (one of the main reasons i check the thread in fact) but yeah, perhaps it'd be good to have a separate thread (RFT v. 2?) just for random fashion-related thoughts, news, articles, designer interviews etc :tounge: I was going to post a raf / dries interview I found interesting but almost felt out of place lol

Had the same experience recently...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

A friend of mine just left a boutique law firm because he was working like 80 hours a week just so he could get 60 billable hours. It sucked up his life.

Bows, that commute is not the sort of thing I miss. Hah, that sucks. What I do miss though is getting in my car and putting a CD in and blasting that shit. Doesn't really feel the same to do it with earbuds.

RFT: I'm wearing all mall brands today.

5. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

You're both right.

But kelv, IIRC, you're not aiming for biglaw anyway, right?

6. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

RFT: I work from home and have been buying clothes that I now never wear because I'm constantly in sweat pants.

kelv, what law school are you attending?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. DLester

DLester Senior member

Most of the "big firms" on which those statistics are based (the NLJ 250) are not actually big law and are not paying big law salaries. Many of them are in midsize markets and in places where I would not choose to live.

8. StanleyVanBuren

ok lawtalk time:

the simplest answer to most of these questions is to tell everyone to read the blog "above the law." there are articles every day that deal with law school issues, law practice issues, and which big firms are paying what -- salaries, bonuses, etc.

realistically, yes, the big firms all start at 160k. yes, most have large bonuses too. and yes, if you go to one of those firms (for which you should be in the top half of your class at any T14 school or in the top 10% at any other school in the top 100), you will have no life and you will work crazy hours.

crazy hours cannot necessarily be avoided by avoiding "biglaw" either, as discussed above.

if you want to be guaranteed a 9-5 schedule as an attorney, you have to go in-house. you'll make less money but your quality of life is much better. lots of biglaw people transition to in-house positions after 10 years or if they have kids (women especially).

I lucked out and ended up at a smaller civil litigation firm where I still get to do fun lawyer stuff like argue in court and still be able to leave most days around 5 or 6pm. If one of my cases is in trial, that's usually the only time that changes and it's beyond my control. The salary is not fantastic though, and there is a bonus structure that rewards billable hours, so if I do decide I want to make significant money, it does require putting in a few more hours either by staying late or knocking out some crap on weekends (or having a couple cases go to trial).

I highly recommend people do either what I did or go in-house. 160k is great but everyone I know at biglaw either hates it, or they are so obnoxious that they really belong there and therefore aren't really concerned with having a real life anyway -- probably not a whole lot of people who would post here would fit that description, seeing as you already care about at least something more creative than being a law nerd and hoarding cash. And don't get me wrong, because if I were offered a biglaw job, I would take it because the money is too damn good to say no, but I am certain it would just be a matter of time before I burned out -- it'd be an exercise in seeing how long I could last and nothing more.

The people who think they can have a biglaw job AND a great life are deluding themselves, or they're just willing to put it off until they make partner. I hear it's way better after that, but I don't know anyone who is there yet so I can't say if it seems worth the cost. The people who think they are going to get a biglaw job just by going to a T14 school or being in the top 10% of a top 100 school are deluding themselves. If you read abovethelaw, you know plenty of people who are otherwise qualified for biglaw jobs that are having a tough as shit time getting one. Anyone graduating currently through to at least the class of 2014 will have a particular stigma attached; that they should have known better than to go to law school when there are fewer and fewer jobs for new grads and a massive surplus of attorneys looking.

9. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

What if I said I'm planning on going into space law? (2)

10. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I work from home, and I mostly wear 22-oz denim. And usually my ToJ, now that it's colder out.

11. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Paul needed SF:

12. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

All of this is why I put off applying. But after taking a year and a half off and working, I think law is my calling.

13. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Reedobandito—a solitary lawyer on mankind's last frontier, dishing out space justice across the galaxy!

14. StanleyVanBuren

this is a growth market and we should start a boutique practice, we just need to get Richard Branson as a client...

you're in Portland so OF COURSE you would have the most off-the-wall idea for a law practice. ideally our clients could enjoy fresh voodoo donuts and take advantage of our complimentary bicycle repair station while waiting to meet with us.

15. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Sounds goddamn perfect. Don't forget the Stumptown we roast fresh every morning.

But seriously, is this actually a viable growth market or am I going to be homeless?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.