Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

:slayer:

[VIDEO]http://vodpod.com/watch/558569-nappy-roots-country-boyz[/VIDEO]

(useless video embed)

2. the shah

true dat market sucks know a fella from a top5 institute who is still looking ...

3. the shah

i know one who does in DC. well closer to 120 than 160 but he's still a young baller

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. Teger

Teger Senior member

look at mafoofan.

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

i can also tell when im friends with people on FB in the real world vs college. real world: you have like 8 photos, none of them are incriminating, and all of your FB updates are links

6. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

This sounds so incredible. Once or twice a year I go up to Pulaski, NY with my dad and some of his friends to do some fishing/fly fishing and it's total off the grid living. They've been doing it for years and most of them have backgrounds as carpenters so we have basically a full blown home now ("camp") and while we bring up some food all the water and stuff is handled like that. Outdoor shower that uses rainwater and fire to warm it up, cook over fire exclusively, etc.

When you do go into town it's like the scary type of hick town, though. There are exactly 2 restaurants/bars and both are completely black with smoke - ceilings, walls, air - and nobody has any teeth and even though we're pretty filthy by the time we get there we still get dirty looks. So we just stay at the camp and drink there.

I'd love to do it for more extended periods of time though, so it's more of a lifestyle than a trip.

7. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

You won't make 160k first year unless you're literally the creme de la creme. Top 8-15 don't mean shit anymore. The market is oversaturated and if you're not top 5% of a top 7, or can get somewhere through nepotism, you won't see that figure fresh out. Also I honestly doubt 25-50% of the graduating class end up working for big firms. Think about that number logically.

8. APK

APK Senior member

I think I'm FB friends with one SF poster and he doesn't even post here anymore. I'm not ready for worlds to collide like that.

9. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Where are you getting your information? What do you mean "those figures are heavily skewed and inflated by the salaries of partners"? There are schools and other law journals that collect this kind of data specifically for first-year associates.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/2011/03/class-of-2010-nlj-250-statistics/

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202483173162

If you look at the information, even the top 3-7 place around 50% of their class into big firms. It used to be closer to 70% for schools like Columbia, etc.

10. Nil

Nil Senior member

I did it with a few people. I was like you, I expected an explosion of knits and baller footwear but it's surprisingly innocuous.

11. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Not sure how this came up since i haven't read through everything, but law school is a terrible idea right now. The job market for lawyers is unbelievably bad—there are like four lawyers for every job out there. It's true for top law schools as well as lower-tier ones. This isn't news either. It's been getting worse and worse for years. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html?pagewanted=all. I don't get why people still think going to law school is a smart idea unless they're reasonably assured they can excel at a great school or they feel law is their calling. On a related note, the whole idea of going back to school to wait out the economic downturn is inane, especially to do something like a grad degree in English or something like that. You're basically just accumulating debt while you wait for the market to get back to where it was while making yourself only marginally more employable, if at all. I say that as someone who would love to get an MA in Comparative Lit.

Also, I entertain the idea of moving out of NYC every so often when I get pissed about the fact that I can maybe buy a shitty studio in Brooklyn for the same amount as a nice house in Ohio, but the reality is I'd be much happier in Brooklyn. I like being able to walk around and wander endlessly, and I hate driving. That said, the way Bows's parents live sounds awesome.

12. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

You are being so incredibly myopic with your expectations. Have you never questioned statistics? pickpack just beat me to the point while I was looking for that article. Of course, you can argue that the NYTimes article can be skewing the results too, but just think about those numbers logically. You think any law firm can handle an expansion of that size EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

13. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

driving is the one thing i miss most.

14. aether

aether Senior member

1.) i completely assumed she would see the comment. in fact, I was hoping she would
    2.) are you kidding? guys on here call complete and utter strangers 'wifey material', and much worse. It was meant as compliment because they were talking about her hippy/60's style which I liked...
    3.) it wasn't your girlfriend, EXACTLY.

calling me a creep is ridiculous . anyways...

15. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

it's creepy when people do it here, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.