Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Tale from the comics industry (possibly the shadiest of all industries)

When i worked at the (now defunct) Wizard magazine, the editorial team learned about the death of captain america that was being kept a secret. However, somehow, Wizardworld, the terribly designed, super overpriced online store that was also run by Wizard, knew to pre-order the shit out of the issue + its variant covers,and got a ton of them pre-CGC'd (a comic grading service that increases the collector price of the comic), making bank off of the now-hot commodity that was Captain America #25.

They did the same thing in the New Avengers issue where Elektra was revealed to be a skrull (shapeshifting alien). However, because most people didn't gitve a shit about secret invasion (the storyline that this tied into), that was less of a big deal.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Comics have always eluded me

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

The main appeal of superhero comics is that the two main companies are essentially in the business of publishing individual micronarratives that play against the backdrop of a hugely self-referential metanarrative that periodically undergoes dramatic shifts (aka "events") that reverberate through the subsequent micronarratives. It's hugely rewarding when you "get" it all, even if an individual comic sucks in a pure "entertainment" sense (which a LOT of them do).

The main comparison I like to make is football: each individual game is less important than the team's standing within the league, division rivalries, the development of each individual player etc When you think about it, the "narrative" of football is just a highly referential circlejerk.. Superhero comics are the same way.

At the same time, there are these super creative independent writers and artists that have a relatively unfettered ability to communicate their creative vision (which rare in a visual narrative medium) and as a result, are often pushing creative boundaries in terms of both form and content. It's a really great medium for postmodern metafictional narratives in particular (kind of like theater) because the "rules" are so well established.

I highly recommend the book "Reading Comics: How Graphic Novels Work and What they Mean by Douglass Wolk.

5. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I hear the quality of skrulls has dropped recently.

6. Desi

Desi Senior member

I am so out of comics. The last ark I read was the Natural Selection Ark of Ultimate X-men 4(?) years ago. Boy did it suck.

7. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I think The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman is a must read for anyone, comic lover or not.

8. Desi

Desi Senior member

yes true!

Now I just read things I never got a chance to finish. Lots of crazy Vertigo stuff mainly. Still need to get around to finishing/start 100 Bullets, Preacher, Y the last Man, Hellblazer.

9. stick

stick Senior member

Back to mustard.

10. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I need to stop getting so excited about online orders before they arrive.

It's better to start disappointed.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

i don't even mind the incestuous relationship between bloggers/advertisers, it is what it is. what DOES kind of bother me is the fact that all these blogs now operate stores to literally sell the shit they hype. nuts.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Independance is supposed to be the cornerstone of good journalism, objectivity not so much. The issue at hand anyway, especially with fashion bloggers is the former not the later. I mean do you really want someone to report objectively on fashion, wtf would that mean?

As an aside I don't read fashion blogs directly but I look at the threads on MC so this bullshit stills trickle down to me.

13. APK

APK Senior member

It's a more subjective area, but the gripes here about bloggers endorsing particular brands stem from the bloggers giving praise or attention to those brands because their palms have been greased.

I don't really read fashion blogs -- due more to the terrible writing -- but if someone is giving their thoughts about a certain brand's in terms of quality, materials, etc., then I'd prefer those thoughts to not be influenced by whether or not the brand provided those clothes to the blogger at no cost in the hopes of getting favorable press.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Indeed, which is why I said this was "independance" not "objectivity".

15. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Pretty good shit show going on over in MC right now. The last 2.5 pages (in the 100 posts per page view) are pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.