Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desi

Desi Senior member

I don't want to make a long posts about this subject since I share similar feelings as many who hold respectable views in regards to journalism. I will say that I would love some freebies though. Send them my way please and I can dress up in full head-to-toe boring ass Trad whenever cameras are around!

http://www.nitrolicious.com/blog/ is pretty bad about all this but I still enter her contests for freebies and check her H&M seasonal showroom coverage.

2. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

funny you mention this, ive been having the starbucks "salted caramel mocha" latte and its incredible (as far as non-artisanal coffees go)
    the salt plays off the caramel and just meshes well

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This is actually one of the reasons that some advertisers are sometimes wary to work with forums, especially ones with our strict editorial policies (i.e. no freebies for reviews, we actually have a blind review process), and our policy to let our members say wtf they want.

One thing that bloggers should realize is that if they charged $$$ for actual eyeballs, brands would be forced to actually have bigger digital spends, which would benefit them. i.e. they could afford to buy their own shit.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Salted caramel...:drool: My wife makes some at home on occasion. Salt cuts some of the harshness and bitterness of strong coffee, downplaying those qualities and letting the good ones stand out. I don't really do it myself though because I take my coffee (usually non-artisanal) with milk and sugar. I am definitely not a coffee snob, but it's a good tip.

5. Desi

Desi Senior member

^^Like what Sartorialist said in his interview before. Fuck toys make money!

6. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Married?! You must live in the slope

7. pickpackpockpuck

Haha, it's a good guess but wrong. I live straight across on the eastern side of Prospect Park (rent is way cheaper). It's why I almost never go to Williamsburg. I actually have to go into Manhattan to 14th and then back across the river on the L. Takes so f-ing long!

8. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Yeah, Im so happy my friends moved from Prospect Park to Greenpoint, much easier to get to from Williamsburg

9. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

How was your J crew night, bows?

10. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Didn't end up going, had to work late. BUTTT I gave tween my name so he got under my RSVP.

How was it Tween?

11. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Thanks again man, it was fun. I mean it was full of dudes, but I took a girl with me so we just got drunk for free and hung out and chatted with some misc people then went to Empanada Mama and drank some more and ate.

There was an old Asian woman that looked very 45rpm which made me happy, and this other cute photographer started talking to her about Kapital so I basically fell in love but didn't get a chance to talk to her :(

12. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

You mentioned GQ as an example, so I'll just stick with that. I really see each issue of GQ as a tale of two halves. The first half (which probably comprises much more than half the pages) is pure shilling. The other half, which I sort of consider separately, is the portion of the magazine that needs to be held to various journalistic standards.

Yeah, but if they charged, would anybody read them? Probably the best of the best would survive (which is maybe what you want to happen).

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You never charge for people to look. The revenue is from advertising. Advertisers pay you more, the bigger the audience you have, an the better (more affluent, more disposable income, more "tastemakers", who will then reblog, retweet, post on forums, etc...)

14. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Doesn't this lead to the same potential for conflict of interest? Feature my product with a favorable review and I'll purchase a large ad buy on your blog.

15. pickpackpockpuck

Yes, yes it does. But it's always up to the blogger/journalist whether they want to compromise their ethics (assuming they have any). Of course plenty of people choose the cash since it's hard to buy nice things on integrity. So how do you know who does and doesn't? Most of the time you don't. That's why disclosure is important. You know what the relationship is between blogger and subject and you can judge for yourself whether to believe what you're reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.