Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APK

APK Senior member

Forward carried the brand as recently as this summer, but it looks like that's no longer the case. I remember having trouble finding it stocked elsewhere, but that's probably because it has the most Google unfriendly brand name possible.

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I don't drink the unrefined sludge of the masses

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

4. cl smooth

cl smooth Senior member

bought my first pair of EG workaday cords. I love em, but it's such a weird feeling wearing a non-slim pant. I'm completely not used to it and it feels embarassingly baggy, even though it probably doesn't seem that way to anyone but me. thoughts?

5. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

No hate. Ladyboys need loving, too.

6. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Damn i gotta be the most boring 17 yr old ever

7. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

nvm.....

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

8. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

Would be much appreciated - if you get a chance!

They are technically hosted on raf's official website, but not displayed in any publicly accessible pages.. Maybe there used to be a 'shop' section that was taken down at some point.
    http://www.rafsimons.com/img/shop/

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

9. miran

miran Senior member

I would like to say that finally finally, I met someone in real life who knows what Maison Martin Margiela is...and they even have a crew neck with side buttons from MMM!

It was a surreal surreal moment....I didn't dare mention styleforum, but I am 99.9999% certain they have nothing to do with it.

On a more humiliating moment, they had no idea what John Smedley was....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

What about LL Bean or ever, dare I say, Old Navy?

11. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

thanks _yoo

all this specialty coffee talk reminds me of breaking bad....you guys know what im talking about :slayer:

12. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Yeah, that was some set up Gale put together. And if you really want your coffee to taste good, you should add salt. Google it.

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

+1 on Intelligentsia teas. We also have an electric kettle with separate settings for ideal tea temps, it's helpful.

RFT: Jezebel article on fashion blogging:

That's obv mostly womens focused blogs, b/c ostensibly that's where the readership is, but I think the line is at least as blurred on the men's side. As a reader, I sort of think that people who don't pick up on shill posts/advertorial get the content they deserve, but as a guy who occasionally writes for sites like styleforum and has worked in journalism, it's best to err on the side of disclosure.

14. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

[​IMG]

15. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

The "line" is so blurred as to be practically non-existent. Every journalist should err on the side of disclosure (I worked as one for years, incidentally), but these days designers/retailers and the people reporting on them are so closely tied together that there really isn't any separation. A few examples:

I think it was in the September or October GQ they ran a small piece raving about these cargo pants by a company called Closed. I hadn't heard of the company before. But guess who sells them? Park & Bond (http://www.parkandbond.com/designers/closed), which is of course a joint venture between GQ and Gilt. There was no mention of that in the article. It was basically an ad disguised as journalism.

Another: Lawrence Schlossman runs the tumblr How To Talk To Girls At Parties. Recently he was hired as the Social Media Editor at Park & Bond. He still posts images from brands like Gant on his blog, but never mentions that Park & Bond sells Gant. Is he doing it deliberately? He posted about brands like Gant before P&B hired him, so who knows. But in journalism you're supposed to disclose that sort of stuff. The New York Times would make a reporter mention something like that.

Here's a final one: Club Monaco hired Michael Williams, founder of the blog A Continuous Lean, as a consultant a while back and had him help design a Made in the USA collection for them (http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2011/10/25/acl-club-monaco-made-in-u-s-a-collection/). I'm sure it was a great opportunity for him, but now he's got an interest in promoting Club Monaco and not promoting CM's competitors.

Even if these bloggers haven't done anything overtly wrong (except the first example, which is egregious in my opinion), they're still compromising their objectivity, which is supposed to be the cornerstone of good journalism (I say good because we all know there's plenty of subjective journalism out there from the likes of any Murdoch company, MSNBC, etc.). You can say these people are "just bloggers," but I think that's a cop-out and lets them off the hook.

EDIT: Just wanted to add a thought. The fact that there are even joint ventures between magazines, which are supposed to be journalism, and retailers like Park & Bond (or the one between Details and Mr. Porter, or Esquire's Clad Men nonsense) should raise red flags. I'm sure it's profitable for everyone, but it raises a ton of ethical questions.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.