Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APK

APK Senior member

And that is why there will always be money in the Banana Republic stand.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Well, now I'm really confused, because unless you're going bespoke, what purchase would you consider unique?

(Also, is there really anything about BR's marketing that suggests it's trying to lure those seeking some kind of Sprite commercial version of individuality?)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

3. APK

APK Senior member

If it's whodini, probably Wolf vs. Goat shirts with Crate denim. :)

4. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

This is not the reason for going designer, but doing so would seem to be a solution.

I'm talking about some of the old collections i saw. Obvious trademark is the unhemmed bootcut pants, but also sweater vests, tracksuits etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Hatch&Whisk

Hatch&Whisk Senior member

In all seriousness, what is it that people are put off by in argyle? is it the association with mall brand goods? i feel as though one doesn't run into it in high fashion designer clothes very often, and brands in the price bracket of gant, gitman, etc. dont seem to use the pattern at all (though tartan is common and acceptable).

6. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

I got an argyle sweater from the BR at my local mall, it's a dark grey and the argyle part is lavender. I really like that it's lavender, because I think most guys wouldn't wear that and it makes me stand out a little. It's not too "fashiony", though. My girlfriend told me I look cute in it, she really likes it when I dress up a little bit. It's really soft, too, 100% cashmere. It was $80 on sale, a little bit of a splurge for me, but I like having a nice sweater. Probably going to wear it when I'm visiting relatives for Thanksgiving.

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

You're over-thinking it. BR is as mass-market as it gets, so why would someone think they're somehow beating the curve by shopping there? I don't think anyone here is fooling themselves into thinking they're getting anything ultra-rare on here (with few exceptions), more like less ubiquitous than 99% of the population.

And if you want to over-analyze, the things we buy here are pretty rare/unique but since we're inside this microcosm we're fooled into thinking otherwise. Even in a city like NYC or LA, I double take when I see a piece I recognize. It's like seeing a unicorn in public.

Again, you're giving too much power to BR and not lending enough credit to the mislead thought process of the OP.

8. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Do moustaches count as RFT? It's an accessory... anyway I just got my page up.

http://mobro.co/JDMAY

Looking to reach $500 by month's end - If you guys aren't doing this yourselves (or even if you are) and are willing to kick in a couple bucks. I mean come on, if you live to see 80, you have an 80% chance of contracting prostate cancer. If you can drop bills on baller shit, surely you've got 10 bucks to spare for your health, or your brother's, or your dad's? Every little bit helps!

Day 14....
    [​IMG]

(P.S. the cowichan is Wings + Horns)

9. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Tween and I are going to hang out with the Head Menswear Designer of J Crew(lol) tomorrow. Looking forward to the free booze

10. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

:fistbump: Breaking out the ol' Red Wings and chambray and knit tie just for the occasion.

11. mellowfellow

mellowfellow Senior member

I like jcrew women. Girls who dress in Madewell are super cute too.

This is really boring but I dig these muted colors. Will definitely try to incorporate wine and green in my wardrobe.

[​IMG]

12. bows1

bows1 Senior member

There really needs to be more eggplant stuff. Its my fav color and I barely have anything in it :(

13. mellowfellow

yeah that too, dark mustard color. I think I'm gonna try all the colors that I normally don't buy. So sick of navy/blue.

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

:lol:

Welcome to my world of color*.

*I don't do mustard or saffron.

15. mellowfellow

geller did some awesome mustard pants a few seasons back. Girls look great in mustard cardigans!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.