1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Wow, that's some bullshit. Plett's response, as described on Put This On, just makes it seem even worse.

2. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

Here are my thoughts on the subject, which I posted a couple weeks ago on facebook:

Dear Instagram users, I'm sorry to inform you of this, but it's over. I realize it used to make sense to take what would otherwise be a shitty cell phone picture and attempt to salvage it by making it "interesting" through the use of a vintage-y filter. I did it too. But ever since the iPhone 4S put a stunningly-good lens in the hands of... basically everyone, there's no longer an excuse not to JUST TAKE GOOD PHOTOS to begin with. And now that it's been bought by facebook and is everywhere, the unique looks it could previously give your photos are no longer that. You will look back on this and regret it the same way you wonder now why you bothered to have a myspace account past mid-2007. You can keep telling yourself that the overexposed sun-damaged polaroid filter is just as creative as the pink text on a fuchsia background was on your myspace page, but after reading this, you are on notice: good photos are the new bad photos.

2 people like this.
  3. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Haters gonna hatestagram

2 people like this.
  5. APK

APK Senior member

Plett, like a lot of the self-important #menswear bloggers, seems to exist in this deluded Tumblr-generated reality where he and fellow #menswear dudes have a trumped up sense of importance on the basis that they own a nice camera, are part of this cropped chino reblog circle jerk, and use rap lyrics to describe the macro shot of their morning vanilla bullshit latte.

3 people like this.
  6. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

I know these people. Also lol if you ever instagrammed on an even-numbered level of irony.

7. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

Wait brb gonna instagram this page.

8. UserName84

UserName84 Senior member

Don't know if Jesse saw this, but Ryan posted in the comments of his blog on this post:

9. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

follow-up:

Quote:
    http://youbroketheinternet.tumblr.com/post/27583534059/putthison-styleseek-the-rights-of-creators-i

If I may offer my two cents:

In high school, I worked for a small dot-com that attempted (ultimately unsuccessfully) to capitalize on all the kid-related content and games on the internet in the late 1990s. The idea was to build a "network" which was basically just a website that aggregated all of this content and presented it through a portal that blocked access to the open internet, so it was kid-friendly and which we then supported with revenue from banner ads. Some content was generated in-house, but a lot was sourced from outside webpages.

We didn't launch the thing having jacked all our content wholesale without telling any of the authors. In the months leading up to launch, we had a whole team of people sourcing content, e-mailing authors, and paying them for licenses to use their work on our site. There was a lot of stuff out there at the time in terms of java games that college students developed for classes that were hosted on very basic HTML pages that were easy to integrate into our "portal." There were also just a lot of geocities and other personal webpages with content aimed at children, sometimes fun, sometimes educational, that we sought to include. We probably added hundreds of these to our "network" and every single person whose content we used got not only credit, but got paid for their work.

The site ran for a few years with a decent userbase before Disney came to eat everyone's lunch. But the point is that if you're going to run a commercial venture and use other people's content, you approach them first, and ideally, if you plan to profit off their work, you pay them for it. When you are a commercial enterprise, truncating posts is not sufficient and giving the original author "credit" isn't enough either, because people view you differently when you are in it for the money. I share my story to point out that this concept is not new, and it is not new to the internet as the model has existed since at least 1996.

10. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

I Instagram pictures of burgers and Fjallraven bags. :embar:

2 people like this.
  11. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

i don't think that it's a question of sourcing, it's posting the articles in full on a for profit site without consent that's got everyone's hand rolled pocket squares all ruffled, and rightfully so.

12. APK

APK Senior member

Pleet seems like an intelligent, albeit stubborn guy, so I think he's kind of playing dumb by addressing the subject of sourcing while ignoring the broader issue of lifting entire articles.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

reedo, Ivri, if you haven't read it, you guys've got to grab Catch-22 before tackling Pynchon. It's just like, mandatory.

That said, +1 on starting with V.

1 person likes this.
  14. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Shame they scrapped the project. China could have been your biggest client.

15. zissou

zissou Senior member

LOLLLL I wonder if by rancher, he means Ralph Lauren.

16. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I wonder if he asked PG if he could use him as an "influencer"

17. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

wongolini is the best surname i've ever heard

18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

It's not his real name

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Hipster. Repent