Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

yeah i admit that pisses me off.

I had to pay $300 in duties for my trickers. They charged shipping twice (was included in the price from shoehealer), used a year-old currency conversion (NZD has kicked ass this year), added 10% duties, a brokerage fee, and then 15% GST on top.

2. bakatora

bakatora Senior member

well, the UPS guy called his manager, or equivalent thereof, and asked why the fees were so high for me. His explanation was: "I guess UPS pays to have the package brought over here and you reimburse them this way."

:violin:

3. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

nvm.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

4. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Speaking of customs charges, had an interesting thing happen with the post recently. Got an item off forwardforward.com and it came through the regular post. So, the customs guys put a tax of about $130 on it. When I went to the post office to pick up the item, the post guy refused to give me the package saying that he was sure it was a mistake, that there was no way a single shirt could cost that much.

He then advised me to go to the customs office and tell them that the price shown on the delivery was wrong. It actually worked! Ended up dodging the customs fee completely. Had to join them all in saying how impossible it was that a single item of clothing could cost so much :embar: :happy:

EDIT - Meh, grammar.

5. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Here, customs taxes go up to 100%. They suck. Specially when shipped by DHL. Fedex is much better. They also charge me quite a lot, but not as crazy as the same price of the things I bought.

6. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Wow. That's insane. You live in Taiwan right? (I think I remember you typing that at some point) You guys seen the Ann Demeulemeester SS2012 buy preview on H.Lorenzo? Looks pretty awesome. The boots (in black) will be mine ASAP.

7. Lionheart Biker

Nope, I haven´t been to Asia, though I would love to, so many great countries to visit there. I´m from argentina. If things come in through the national post office, the taxes are 50%, but when you get your stuff shipped by shipping companies like Fedex and DHL, taxes are much higher.

BTW, those black leather sandal boots are so fricking awesome. Reminded me of the gladiator birkenstocks from burberry prursom´s summer 2011 show... Those will probably cost like 2k.

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

9. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

yeah DHL is the worst in my experience, they're the ones that charged me $300. YMMV depending on which country you live.

It's best to just ask the sender to mark it as a gift, while still marking the correct value. That way if something goes wrong, they're still insured, but you don't get screwed at duties.

A lot of shops still won't do this though.

10. Lionheart Biker

Never heard of this site. They carry some interesting brand. Kinda wish my budget wasn´t so limited right now (gotta save for upcoming summer).
    Maybe that miharayasuhiro striped tank top , love that brand [​IMG]

11. Lionheart Biker

Online retailers don´t mark things as gift nor do they lower prices. At least the ones I´ve shopped at (mr. porter and luisa via roma). The thing that bothers me about Mr. porter, where i´ve ordered 3 times, I think, is that they only use DHL, whic ensures that I will definately pay close to the price of my order [​IMG] At least luisa via roma uses both dhl and fedex, and if it comes with the latter, it´s less taxes duties to pay.

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

(shhhhhhhhhhhh!)

13. Lionheart Biker

Merci beaucoup...

How do I get them to do that?? Because I started browsing like a mad men and found great deals on MMMs low tops.

14. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

does anyone frequent fok.co.uk?
    anyways, the latest page of this thread is hilarious.

also probably not news to many but i just found out ln-cc has an vimeo account that has a few quite interesting videos, e.g. this nigel cabourn interview
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

15. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

it's an unspoken thing. It's a great store, excellent prices and service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.