• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of customs charges, had an interesting thing happen with the post recently. Got an item off forwardforward.com and it came through the regular post. So, the customs guys put a tax of about $130 on it. When I went to the post office to pick up the item, the post guy refused to give me the package saying that he was sure it was a mistake, that there was no way a single shirt could cost that much.

He then advised me to go to the customs office and tell them that the price shown on the delivery was wrong. It actually worked! Ended up dodging the customs fee completely. Had to join them all in saying how impossible it was that a single item of clothing could cost so much :embar: :happy:

EDIT - Meh, grammar.

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here, customs taxes go up to 100%. They suck. Specially when shipped by DHL. Fedex is much better. They also charge me quite a lot, but not as crazy as the same price of the things I bought.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here, customs taxes go up to 100%. They suck. Specially when shipped by DHL. Fedex is much better. They also charge me quite a lot, but not as crazy as the same price of the things I bought.
Wow. That's insane. You live in Taiwan right? (I think I remember you typing that at some point) You guys seen the Ann Demeulemeester SS2012 buy preview on H.Lorenzo? Looks pretty awesome. The boots (in black) will be mine ASAP.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, I haven´t been to Asia, though I would love to, so many great countries to visit there. I´m from argentina. If things come in through the national post office, the taxes are 50%, but when you get your stuff shipped by shipping companies like Fedex and DHL, taxes are much higher.

BTW, those black leather sandal boots are so fricking awesome. Reminded me of the gladiator birkenstocks from burberry prursom´s summer 2011 show... Those will probably cost like 2k.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah DHL is the worst in my experience, they're the ones that charged me $300. YMMV depending on which country you live.

It's best to just ask the sender to mark it as a gift, while still marking the correct value. That way if something goes wrong, they're still insured, but you don't get screwed at duties.

A lot of shops still won't do this though.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this site. They carry some interesting brand. Kinda wish my budget wasn´t so limited right now (gotta save for upcoming summer).
Maybe that miharayasuhiro striped tank top , love that brand
inlove.gif

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah DHL is the worst in my experience, they're the ones that charged me $300. YMMV depending on which country you live.
It's best to just ask the sender to mark it as a gift, while still marking the correct value. That way if something goes wrong, they're still insured, but you don't get screwed at duties.
A lot of shops still won't do this though.

Online retailers don´t mark things as gift nor do they lower prices. At least the ones I´ve shopped at (mr. porter and luisa via roma). The thing that bothers me about Mr. porter, where i´ve ordered 3 times, I think, is that they only use DHL, whic ensures that I will definately pay close to the price of my order
angry.gif
At least luisa via roma uses both dhl and fedex, and if it comes with the latter, it´s less taxes duties to pay.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merci beaucoup...

How do I get them to do that?? Because I started browsing like a mad men and found great deals on MMMs low tops.

_yoo

Reaction score
does anyone frequent fok.co.uk?
anyways, the latest page of this thread is hilarious.

also probably not news to many but i just found out ln-cc has an vimeo account that has a few quite interesting videos, e.g. this nigel cabourn interview
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
0ed86eb2.jpg

crosspost from something timpoblete posted in the EG thread, but the look on the right with the quilted side out is soooooo sick

it's very, very close to what I wanted to do and why I was looking for busted up petit standards :D

eternaldrake

Reaction score
i woke up this morning to a dead transmission in my car, probably gonna post some things on b&s here soon (pbjs, artist denim slims, maybe jil laceups or inverallan 3a if the situation gets desperate)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads