• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Well that is not what I had in mind. WTF? That is insane.

the consequence of glossing over your countries involvement in killing millions of chinese and korean and any real mention of the war in general

its specially ironic considering they glorify so many elements of our culture. basically all of the brands we love here are rehashing inaccurate glorifications of pretty terrifying periods of america without understanding the events surrounding them, of which world war ******* 2 was a big part

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My history teacher in high school once told me he taught a japanese student fresh out of japan. During the WW2 lectures, the japanese student raised his hand and asked what is this, how come I don't know about this and I'm japanese.

I don't know if this is true or not, but aparently they don't get taught WW2 history in Japan as there is a strong taboo of going against your ancestors decisions.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The swastika symbol is significant in buddhism, but damn that hitler bar is just wrong.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
My history teacher in high school once told me he taught a japanese student fresh out of japan. During the WW2 lectures, the japanese student raised his hand and asked what is this, how come I don't know about this and I'm japanese.

I don't know if this is true or not, but aparently they don't get taught WW2 history in Japan as there is a strong taboo of going against your ancestors decisions.

you realize that the governments of pre-world war II japan and post world war II japan were basically identical, sans a few high officials that we hung?

1945 was the beginning of the cold war, and we didn't have time to even try to change the social and political structure as we did in germany (and we did a pretty ****** job there)

I am still saddened we didn't institute the morgenthau plan and turn germany into a ******* pasture

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To be fair while in Hiroshima for a year all Japanese people I talked to knew more about WWII than most Americans probably knew. Including stuff on torturing Chinese people, etc. But I'm going to guess that's partly because it was Hiroshima.

If I remember right there were a couple other balls out Nazi style places in HK and India, and I think both got shut down eventually from pressure.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
from 2001:

diplomatic dispute over a Japanese history textbook deepened yesterday when South Korea recalled its ambassador to Tokyo in protest.

Choi Sang Yong will return to Seoul today to discuss with ministers the disagreement on the schoolbook, which Koreans say ignores Japan's wartime atrocities.

Protesters in Seoul burnt Japanese goods in the latest in a series of demonstrations since the Japanese government announced a week ago that it would license the book for use in high schools.

Last week Seoul warned of the potential for "great damage" to relations between the two countries if Tokyo allowed the use of the book, which has been created by a group of right-wing historians opposed to what they regard as a "masochistic" tendency to apologise for atrocities and oppression in the Japanese colonies before and during the Second World War.

The book makes no mention of the so-called "comfort women", military sex slaves, most of them Korean, who were forcibly recruited into Japanese military brothels. It also refers to Japan's wartime troops as "valiant", and fails to record the existence of Unit 731, a secret project to test biological weapons on prisoners of war.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
again, in 2005:

Japanese officials said they made changes to parts of the new textbooks to clarify points about Japan's colonial occupation of the Korean Peninsula from 1910 to 1945. But South Korea's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Lee Kyu Hyung, said the newly approved texts were still "far from sufficient when universal values and historic truth are taken into account."

The statements and counterstatements were the latest chapter in a decades-long feud between Japan and its neighbors over questions of the island's wartime guilt and responsibility. Critics, mostly in the two Koreas and China, contend that Japan has consistently denied its wartime aggression.

The outcry intensified in 2001 after the Education Ministry here approved a new junior high textbook that was drafted by a group of Japanese nationalists and that omitted key details about Japan's wartime atrocities. The book has since been adopted by a handful of Japanese schools.

On Tuesday, the Education Ministry approved a newer edition of the same text that critics say further distorts the past and portrays imperial Japan as a liberator rather than an occupier of its Asian neighbors. The text shuns the word "invasion," for instance, and leaves out critical accounts of events such as the Japanese army's massacre of civilians in Nanking, China, in 1937.

Other texts for the 2006 school year were toned down. The term "comfort women" -- a euphemism for wartime sex slaves, mostly from Korea and China -- disappeared from all eight junior high history books approved by the national government Tuesday. One book maintained a reference to wartime "comfort stations" for Japanese soldiers.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
from 2007, in reference to removal of passages detailing military prompted civilian suicides following the invasion of okinawa

More than 100,000 people in Japan have rallied against changes to school books detailing Japanese military involvement in mass suicides during World War II.The protest, in Okinawa, was against moves to modify and tone down passages that say the army ordered Okinawans to kill themselves rather than surrender.

Okinawa’s governor told crowds they could not ignore army involvement.

Some conservatives in Japan have in recent years questioned accounts of the country’s brutal wartime past.

Saturday’s rally was the biggest staged on the southern island since it was returned to Japan by the United States in 1972, according to the Kyodo News agency.

Grenades

When US soldiers invaded Okinawa at the end of World War II, more than 200,000 people died.

Hundreds of them were Japanese civilians who killed themselves.

The textbooks, intended for use in high schools next year, currently say that as the Americans prepared to invade, the Japanese army handed out grenades to Okinawa residents and ordered them to kill themselves.

Many survivors insist the military told people to commit suicide, partly due to fears over what they might tell the invaders and because being taken prisoner was considered shameful.

The governor of Okinawa, Hirokazu Nakaima, told crowds the episode should not be forgotten.

“We cannot bury the fact that the Japanese military was involved in the mass suicide, taking into account of the general background and testimonies that hand grenades were delivered,” he said.

Japan’s Kyodo news agency said Saturday’s rally was the biggest staged on the southern island since it was returned to Japan by the United States in 1972.

cr1234

Reaction score
Ummm.... that's Korea, not Japan. Not that Japan isn't terrible about a lot of things.

Originally Posted by Teger
it doesnt. read the self edge thread. buddhist / hindu symbol = not the same as the turned 30 degree swastika.

im talking about this reprehensible ****:

Dec15$07.jpg

picture of a bar in japan.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
true. I am too lazy to find a picture of the japanese one, but I promsie you it exists

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm sorry to say that hitler bar up there seems korean. it says hitler in korean on the side and the bar beneath it says classic in korean. -_- dumbass koreans

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atta Teger

Honest question:

What country doesn't try to change history to make itself look better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads