1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

saks is going 40% off in two days....

unfortunately 40% off boring uninspired crap is still boring uninspired crap, at least at our local Saks in LA

2. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I'm not going to bring a camera to a random store and sit there taking pictures with it, phone pics are the best you're getting. And I wouldn't be able to fit anywhere near that many pics into a post and don't want to break it into fifty million different posts either. The item I sold was actually the Jil polo in 52, so that argument is moot lol. Once again, can't control what I find. 50% off Jil is still 50% off Jil.

Maybe I'll have better luck if I can find AW stuff in Spring

The pieces you're selling aren't very good and are basics (no even the most popular basics), no runway pieces, your prices are kinda high considering what you can find them for at the end of sale season and 2nd hand and ebay, and your thread layout is terrible. That's fine you don't want to take a bunch of pictures in a store but i've sold a lot of clothes and browsed supermarket enough to know that good layouts, good descriptions, measurements and really good photos is half the battle (not to mention the user who is selling them and if they have made the piece look good in a fit pic before). There really isn't any hype around the stuff you're selling like you think.

Unless it's a hyped up limited collection like J+, cdg x h&m or really desirable clothes at lower than ebay/supermarket prices you won't sell any of that. While RO tanks for $225 and drkshdw tees for $115 may be cheap compared to retail, they regularly go for cheaper via deep sales, c21 and 2nd hand supermarket/ebay. Gotta do your research first.

3. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

reselling is some expert type shit

5. impolyt_one

I try to step away from all the TOJ work for periodic breaks when I'm at home, sometimes I will facebook, read autoblog, something, but I usually end up back on styleforum SW+D or sufu, posting in other threads (though I haven't looked at supertrash in like 2 months now)... I am so deep in the game now that I will only be able to leave in a metal coffin, it's clothes 24/7 for me.

6. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

it's ok i'm here or on sa forums all the time too thanks to my shitty job

ps we need to go get a drink or something this weekend

7. breakz

breakz Senior member

people placing phone orders at uniqlo, rejoice! they've added two new phone SAs to field calls.

8. onion

onion Senior member

unfortunately 40% off boring uninspired crap is still boring uninspired crap, at least at our local Saks in LA

So, so true.. There are 2, maybe 3 designers/brands I like at Saks.

Luckily though, my favorite designer, Richard Chai, is sold there. I plan to stock up durring the 40% sale... which had great timing btw. I was going to buy a jacket at full retail, but then got a random PM from Arms Akimbo (thanks again btw), saying they are doing a 40% off Nov 4.

If it weren't for Richard Chai though, I really couldn't of cared less about a Saks sale, for the very reason you stated. I will say, Saks is fucking amazing if you're one of those douchey guys who think your stylish, because you wear the "in-brands" (Hugo Boss, Armani, Theory, True Religion, etc). In that market,it's really second to none. [​IMG]

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

KitAKira: I didn't even bother clicking on the pics man, honestly I just needed to read the descriptions to know that the stuff you have listed doesn't sound enticing at what they cost. I know that you can't control what it costs or what it is, but the art in reselling is going to require a much deeper discount on much better products, 50% is common nowadays and sale season is creeping up.
    I definitely buy MMM and Jil at much higher prices than your pieces are listed at, but I buy them selectively and buy pieces, usually runway if it's going to be brands like those. Frankly, it's common knowledge that no one really buys MMM knit basics unless they're nearly giveaway cheap, and likewise for Jil Sander. There is a huge range of shitty Jil Sander filler, Jil Tailor Made line, Jil knit basics, accessories, non-runway shoes, there's tons of that shit that never sells, of which all of your pieces belong to. Hint: not visibly attributable to Raf Simons. It's the exact reason why they're on sale in the first place. $100-$300, while a sale price for those brands, is not exactly cheap man, considering it's polos and tees and basic sweaters. Try your luck at something different, and don't waste your time on that stuff.

I buy basic MMM knits, they just need to be those I really want. It's that "don't settle" thing...

10. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I try to step away from all the TOJ work for periodic breaks when I'm at home, sometimes I will facebook, read autoblog, something, but I usually end up back on styleforum SW+D or sufu, posting in other threads (though I haven't looked at supertrash in like 2 months now)... I am so deep in the game now that I will only be able to leave in a metal coffin, it's clothes 24/7 for me.
    I know what you mean. I also haven't read a supertrash thread outside of waywt and the halloween thread (for ideas). It's too much work to keep up with. Reselling really is some artful stuff if you want to make money. You have to know the various things go for on forums and ebay. Know what people want to buy and what prices people are willing to pay. It's barely even worth it reselling drkshdw/c21 stuff as so many people do it that you really can't make that much money on it anymore. Probably can do alright with stuff if you know how to fuck with Yahoo Japan Auctions

11. impolyt_one

^ I do too, I just try not to buy too many of them because they cost about $600 here and that can be pretty bank account-crushing... [​IMG] I like MMM basics but I really don't feel compelled to buy much MMM unless I find it at deep discounts. Luckily, you can often find it at deep discounts. :p

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

KitAKira: I didn't even bother clicking on the pics man, honestly I just needed to read the descriptions to know that the stuff you have listed doesn't sound enticing at what they cost. I know that you can't control what it costs or what it is, but the art in reselling is going to require a much deeper discount on much better products, 50% is common nowadays and sale season is creeping up.
    I definitely buy MMM and Jil at much higher prices than your pieces are listed at, but I buy them selectively and buy pieces, usually runway if it's going to be brands like those. Frankly, it's common knowledge that no one really buys MMM knit basics unless they're nearly giveaway cheap, and likewise for Jil Sander. There is a huge range of shitty Jil Sander filler, Jil Tailor Made line, Jil knit basics, accessories, non-runway shoes, there's tons of that shit that never sells, of which all of your pieces belong to. Hint: not visibly attributable to Raf Simons. It's the exact reason why they're on sale in the first place. $100-$300, while a sale price for those brands, is not exactly cheap man, considering it's polos and tees and basic sweaters. Try your luck at something different, and don't waste your time on that stuff.

+1. Though, unlike Impolyt, I actually buy more basic knits and tees from MMM and Number(N)ine at full pop, but I am usually looking for things with very specific characteristics, and any deviation will not do. For example, in military style thermals or tees, I require that the pieces have overlock stitching, and flatlock hems if they are not conventional hems. I also prefer ribbed or some sort of waffle knit for these pieces, or a wool jersey, which is sort of rare. I also really like raglan sleeves, but I dislike traditionally attached collars (if they stretch even a bit, the stitching starts to unravel). This means that something that to someone else will look very typical, but fits these rare criteria, will probably get picked up. These are details very few other people look for, so it is unlikely that I will find them on B&S.

I am actually more forgiving about non-basics, because though I have a general idea of what I want, my set of criterion are no nearly as strict (though they are still quite strict), and I'll pick something up if it catches my eye.

13. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

So, so true.. There are 2, maybe 3 designers/brands I like at Saks.

Luckily though, my favorite designer, Richard Chai, is sold there. I plan to stock up durring the 40% sale... which had great timing btw. I was going to buy a jacket at full retail, but then got a random PM from Arms Akimbo (thanks again btw), saying they are doing a 40% off Nov 4.

If it weren't for Richard Chai though, I really couldn't of cared less about a Saks sale, for the very reason you stated. I will say, Saks is fucking amazing if you're one of those douchey guys who think your stylish, because you wear the "in-brands" (Hugo Boss, Armani, Theory, True Religion, etc). In that market,it's really second to none. [​IMG]

i like rlbl, dior, helmut, r&b, edward green, barker black, jil sander, margiela, ....

you can always call another saks and get stuff shipped to you...

14. impolyt_one

it's ok i'm here or on sa forums all the time too thanks to my shitty job

ps we need to go get a drink or something this weekend

let's switch jobs for a couple days. I could use the free time and not feel like work is creeping up behind me, about to ream my innermost inners.

15. impolyt_one

i like rlbl, dior, helmut, r&b, edward green, barker black, jil sander, margiela, ....

you can always call another saks and get stuff shipped to you...

...I still don't understand Barker Black.... is it supposed to be the RL Rugby of dress shoes or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.