• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yesterday i went to a family function. i left my wallet at home... because what do ineed a wallet for to eat chana puri ?
ps canucks: happy thanksgiving!~

mmm, love me some vegetarian indian food. chana puri is the chickpea right?

yeah, happy thanksgiving guys :cheers:

lol, read the description: "Not so pretty design, please consider." :laugh:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about some nice side zips myself. Found a pair of chelsea boots I like, but it seems like pulling them on/off is just going to be a pain **********. Maybe I'm overreacting.

To jump in on Unc's story, worst part of getting robbed is just feeling like a jackass, though I've never lost a camera so maybe that's the worst. Sucks dude.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I wasn't mugged and I never said I was. Dude took stuff out of my bag from right next to me while I wasn't looking. I feel more humiliated than anything else.

I was pickpocketed in Barcelona, which was the most humiliating experience ever. Also, a pain, since I had to get new cards from abroad. I'm been in attempted muggings and have even had a gun pulled on me, but the pickpocketing was the most humiliating thing. You just feel like such a chump.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've had an attempted carjacking, but I never felt humiliated after that. It was a hell of an adrenaline rush though.

I did have a car stolen overnight when it was parked though, stripped and then recovered in Jersey City a few days later. Wasn't humiliating until I noticed they took everything out of the glovebox and just put a tampon in there. Damn.

Xwrx5.jpg

Last edited:

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had something like that happen to me, although it was as shotgun pointed at me and I did the picking of my wallet of my pocket. Memphis, TN sucks.

Hey, I figured out why most dress shirts hurt me to wear. Because I have an 18" neck. Apparently I'm an "Extra Slim Fit" at brooks brothers, as well, in that sizing.

Last edited:

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've had an attempted carjacking, but I never felt humiliated after that. It was a hell of an adrenaline rush though.
I did have a car stolen overnight when it was parked though, stripped and then recovered in Jersey City a few days later. Wasn't humiliating until I noticed they took everything out of the glovebox and just put a tampon in there. Damn.
Xwrx5.jpg

I had an ipod stolen out of my car. That sucked

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to live in Jersey City. One New Year's Day, I woke up totally hungover and headed out to my car. I realized that someone had stolen my stereo and a book of about 100 CDs the night before. That sucked. What really pissed me off is that the CDs probably weren't even worth anything to the guy. It was a lot of ****** old punk rock and random stuff, like a Queen mix CD I made. Though I like to think that some dude is driving around JC right now blasting Queen from his system.

Last edited:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
after maybe 2 weeks of apparently only wearing looser fitting stuff, I put on something slim fitting (TB oxford) and it felt so constricting. Which is wearing considering it's no slimmer than anything i've typically worn for a very long time

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I had my car window broken twice while I lived in DC. Oddly enough, it was the front passenger-side window both times. One time, my gf at the time had borrowed the car and parked it near U St, unfortunately leaving her backpack in plain sight on the seat. The other time, I was parked about a block away from my apartment in Adams Morgan, and all they did is smash the window. There wasn't anything particularly valuable in the car, and it didn't look like they'd even tried to take anything. Just smashed the window and walked away.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Speaking of cars, help me choose a new whip y'all.

Here is the thread.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/269603/help-me-choose-an-suv-2008-enclave-vs-lexus-rx350#post_4873496

Here are the contents of that thread.

So I've been shopping for a reasonably sized SUV to make more or less weekly trips between the city and the mountains. Not going to use it for much of anything else and it won't be a daily driver.

This week, I test drove a whole bunch of models and ended up putting down a $500 deposit on a 2008 Buick Enclave, with 54,000 km (33,500 miles) on it. It is an Arizona vehicle originally - many people from here buy AZ vehicles because they get mostly highway-driven and don't get beat up as much as the harsh Canadian winters put on a car.

However, I have been waffling and humming and hawing because a 2008 Lexus RX350 was also high on the radar, and I'm wondering if it would be the better call. The price of the two vehicles is about the same and they're both from reputable dealerships.

2008 Buick Enclave - 54,000 km

ZyEiJ.jpg

Pros of the Buick:
-Huge. Massive. Seats 8 pretty comfortably, back row is actually fairly roomy. So I can take people with me to said mountains easily.
-Also, quite heavy, which should bode well for snow performance; I expect it'll be a tank.
-Good interior, lots of nice options (rear DVD etc.) but thankfully, no sunroof or navigation system, which are two problem areas people have had with this model that I can avoid having to fix.
-Super comfortable, quiet ride (best I've experienced in any similar vehicle). Nice when doing a 400km round trip.
-Dealer offers a lifetime engine warrantee for free.
-Basically in immaculate condition inside and out, might as well be new to look at the thing.

Cons of the Buick:
-Reliability might be a problem. It's a low km car but it's a first year model, and they have had issues with the timing belt and some other components. Somewhat offset by the warrantee, but I'd rather not be stuck in snow 200 km away and have my car break down.
-Fuel economy isn't exactly terrible considering its size, it's a V6 rather than a V8, but it is a big car so it's not good either.
-V6 is a bit underpowered for it but not really looking for performance here anyway.
-Hard to find decent snow tires for the stock 19" rims.
-Roof bar system is not the best but if I put anything up there it wouldn't fit into my 6'2'' clearance underground parking anyway.

2008 Lexus RX350 - 83,000km

YVm65.jpg

Pros of the Lexus:
-Comes with a set of free winter tires, roof cross bars and tow package (though I don't know what I'd tow to be honest).
-Reliability; I can pretty safely expect it to make it to 200,000km on the odometer.
-Fuel economy is pretty decent for a mid-size SUV, and it handles a bit better than the Buick.
-Ride is comfortable and quiet, though not so much as the Buick.
-Interior is comfortable, and in overall very good shape.
-Has scotchguard on the hood to keep it lookin' nice.
-Dealer gives free nitrogen for life, couple of other minor perks.

Cons of the Lexus:
-Smaller than the Enclave. Could still probably get enough gear in to take a couple people with me but not as many or as comfortably.
-Has 83,000 km (51,500 miles) which is still fine but obviously more than the Enclave.
-Has a sunroof, which compromises head room (I'm tall), though it's still big enough up front.
-Has been driven here so it has plenty of the expected rock dings on the hood, which is a nitpick since it's been detailed and they're all invisible from 2 feet away.
-Doesn't have DVD or some of the other little niceties of the Buick, but I'm not sure I care THAT much about that stuff.

Any experience with either of these or advice in general? Help me make a call here.

Last edited:

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

Pras from the Fugees is at my office today and yelling about this edit we finished and its so loud I can't get work done.

Tell him that he's a terrible rapper, please. And that nobody listened to "Ghetto Superstar" to hear him.

Last edited:

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Buick looks like a gas hog, but on the other hand also looks like it could haul bags and personage if you do roadtrips. It's also quite ugly, if that matters to you. In my experience the Lexus handles pretty poorly on ice (granted, the snow tires on at the time weren't the best/newest and it was Baker with heavy snowfall) and it isn't the roomiest of SUVs but can fit 3+gear (day packs, boards, boots, etc.) comfortably without a rack, 4 if the back 2 don't mind being chummy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads