1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Distinguished Member

KVA not that cool. But yeah Im sure he could. I think he DJEd at the Atelier party for KVA.

If you want Hedi Slimane's photograph just move to California and befriend a bunch of 16 year old aneroxic skateboarder boys.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

2. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Distinguished Member

alright so my silent shit for fw11 that I preordered like a year ago finally got here. everything is a little small. :fu: it's all wearable but doesn't fit how I want it too...I got the long double layer (obsidian) tank which would be perfect if the chest wasn't so narrow I feel like I'm a move a way from a nip slip. The new standard short sleeve t shirt (tracti) is IMHO the best iteration Silent has done yet, the fabric is soft and smooth again like the first season but they've retained the distressed neckline from the last few seasons. I also really like the neckline, it is a nice loose crew that isn't super low or anything, pretty much the perfect height/depth for me. sleeves are slim, body is long and slightly drapey, but instead of just being long and even around the hem the back is slightly short and there is a diagonal dart that creates a nice angle and drape. I got it in the new purple colorway. It's a little tight in the arms/chest, if I keep working out I'm probably not going to be able to wear it. le sigh. lastly I got what i think was supposed to be the raglan sweatshirt. except mine definitely isn't raglan. it's an interesting piece I got it in the raspberry color, it's a medium thickness distressed cotton, very slim forearms and cuffs but the body is somewhat loose. again I probably need a medium instad of a small now, I'd like the shoulders to sit lower but they're high and tight. Not sure what to do with this. If anyone is interested shoot me a pm I guess. all size small.

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Distinguished Member

You're in Dallas, correct? If so, there has to be a Brooks Brothers or a Nordstroms nearby. I know, I know, half of the SW&D denim folk reading this are rolling their eyes, but both of these places are perfectly acceptable for buying your first suit. They will have plenty of suits in your size to choose from and they will have somebody who can help you to find a suit that fits (fits your needs, your body, and your budget). You're probably going to want to go with something very bland. I would recommend either a solid charcoal gray or navy blue. Unfortunately, neither of these places is going to be cheap, but they will offer you a quality product and that can be a wardrobe staple for years.

If you do go to Brooks Brothers they do have several fits to choose from so you can get one that looks a little more sleeker than some of the more old/stodgy ones. If you go to Nordstroms, I would recommend Hickey Freeman. They are a bit pricey, but IMO they are the highest quality brand of suit that they carry.

Good luck!

4. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Thanks for the advice on workarounds. :laugh:

I'll probably just get a regular ol' iron and ironing board, though. I'm not really cramped for space, and I don't think I'll mind pulling it out occasionally. I have a few other shirts that'll look better if I iron the placket after washing them, anyway.

A steamer wouldn't work in this scenario, right? I would think it would "relax" out any of the small wrinkles, but it doesn't seem like it would get the pleat to lie flat against the back along the appropriate creases.

5. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Distinguished Member

Jslade, I'd go with J. Crew also. But if you order online you'll probably need to size down on the pants. The waists run big, in my opinion. I also went a size smaller on the jacket (tried it on in store) and it fit better than my actual size. Could even be worth ordering two jacket sizes and returning one.

Yeah, true. But it's damn heavy and not totally smooth. Six of one, half dozen of another...

6. jslade

jslade Distinguished Member

Hey Biggskip, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, Dallas is my hometown (actually, a suburb of Dallas). If I was in Dallas right now, I wouldn't be having a problem at all. But as it stands, my college town doesn't have a Brooks Brothers or a Nordstrom, or even a Dillard's, in fact. The stores I listed in my previous post are really all that's available for a city of 120,000, for whatever reason.

Looks like I'll be ordering something online from J. Crew. It's just hard to swallow making a $700 purchase from J. Crew when I'm sure that they're overcharging a hell of a lot.

7. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Distinguished Member

Benjamin suit from ehaberdasher for $500. I think it would be more appropriate for an interview, better made, and cheaper than J. Crew

8. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Distinguished Member

so what size am i in undercover pants?

i bought a 2 and the thighs were skin tight but waist was ok.(could this be the specific cut?) should i get a three and take it in a bit, or will the thighs still be tight?
    i can get away with a 16'' waist max, i like my pants to be a bit loose in the waist.
    seller hasnt answered my sizing inquiry so im asking here :eek:

9. bows1

bows1 Distinguished Member

Found my halloween costume.

[​IMG]

Yohji?

10. Lane

Lane Distinguished Member

so for halloween im just gonna wear my clothes, im sure no one will know its not a costume.

11. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior Member

Might go as the Sexy Sax Man.

[Video][/Video]

12. MarkI

MarkI Distinguished Member

this is one of the best things ive seen in a long, long time

13. Manfred Freitag

Manfred Freitag Well-Known Member

I would just order some $400 special from Macys.com or something for $250 off overstock.com. Seriously. You are just out of college and applying for a job with Deloitte and Touche. They aren't exactly the cutting edge of fashion, you will look just fine and you will need a beater suit in your rotation anyway.

14. theom-

theom- Distinguished Member

15. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

Got a yohji jacket, which fits just like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.