• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

stylezeitgeist is doing it for everyone, love that someone posted that ************* travesty of a collection there to troll faust :happy:
honestly so annoyed by his existence and I use to love his music

$$$ gets you anything you want
anyways my main problem with his pursuit in this is the fact that he thinks all he needs is $$$ to get himself a great collection. It spits in the face of designers who actually have something to say and do so through their work. I see nothing of value in what he made, yah it looks better than most designers out there, that happens when you hire good people.

lol at haters. I'm listening to Stronger in support of a man who at very least, isn't afraid to step up.

Also, wtf, who doesn't hire the best people they can find and afford?

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I just can't imagine a world without Toy Story. The horror..!!!!

Well, you sir have 14K plus posts on a fashion forum since 2008, yet think Steve Jobs is not significant enough to have changed the world in some way. Trying to make yourself feel better? Are you not doing enough?

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

lol at haters. I'm listening to Stronger in support of a man who at very least, isn't afraid to step up.
Also, wtf, who doesn't hire the best people they can find and afford?

I'm not really much of a "new york mag" kind of guy but I thought their coverage of his show was pretty on-point compared to where I stood with regards to it.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this isn't an ad hominem attack of any kind, but you're an idiot.

toy story changed the world. it might not have been affected every single facet of everybody's life, but it changed a world to a small degree. it showed the industry that cgi films could be successful. that they could have a great plot, characters, and children would still enjoy it.

pixar changed the industry like disney changed the industry.

the core of your argument is that art cannot change the world which is beyond marsupialed.

Disagree with this.
There are examples of adaptive radiation everywhere, people didn't pick them up for thousands of years. Some things seem quite simple but it takes someone special to actually verbalise them and make a confident judgement.
Also, the number of people who don't actually understand the fundamental concepts of evolution makes me think it's not quite as simple as we assume. Or maybe just people are idiots.

what you dont think if darwin died somebody else as influential would have picked up on alfred russel wallace's work?

darwin didn't ******* come up with evolution out of thin air. there was lamarck, hilaire, grant, chambers before him, cuvier and buffon before them, you could even consider aquinas and al-jahiz before them.

my facebook feed is littered with steve jobs comments. we're talking about steve jobs on a style forum. if that doesn't allude to how much steve jobs has impacted our lives i'm at lost as to what other kind of personal experience i could point to to make my point

/end rant. no more fo rme

Last edited:

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I just can't imagine a world without Toy Story. The horror..!!!!

You talk a big game about some really important people, yet spend a **** load of time posting on internet fashion forums.

And no, this isn't a dig at anyone else of Styleforum, I love this site and I like clothing a lot. It's a dig at Teger and his silly ideas.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

my facebook feed is littered with steve jobs comments. we're talking about steve jobs on a style forum. if that doesn't allude to how much steve jobs has impacted our lives i'm at lost as to what other kind of personal experience i could point to to make my point

I was at the grocery store when the news started to come out and I heard no less than 5 people talking about it/calling others to tell them/etc.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

this isn't an ad hominem attack of any kind, but you're an idiot.
toy story changed the world. it might not have been affected every single facet of everybody's life, but it changed a world to a small degree. it showed the industry that cgi films could be successful. that they could have a great plot, characters, and children would still enjoy it.
pixar changed the industry like disney changed the industry.
the core of your argument is that art cannot change the world which is beyond marsupialed.
what you dont think if darwin died somebody else as influential would have picked up on alfred russel wallace's work?
darwin didn't ******* come up with evolution out of thin air. there was lamarck, hilaire, grant, chambers before him, cuvier and buffon before them, you could even consider aquinas and al-jahiz before them.

yea this is all nonsense

(not really but darwin was a huge, huge, HUGE departure from everyone else.)

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Reaction score

I was at the grocery store when the news started to come out and I heard no less than 5 people talking about it/calling others to tell them/etc.

im glad the grocery store is the ultimate forum of public opinion. i guess amanda knox is really important too?

You talk a big game about some really important people, yet spend a **** load of time posting on internet fashion forums.
And no, this isn't a dig at anyone else of Styleforum, I love this site and I like clothing a lot. It's a dig at Teger and his silly ideas.

man you are ******* dumb

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yea this is all nonsense
(not really but darwin was a huge, huge, HUGE departure from everyone else.)

not really too in tune with the history of it, but that was my understanding too.

There's a fundamental difference between lamarckianism and darwinism. there's no natural linear progression from one to the other.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
lamarck was important because he helped introduce the idea of evolution as a concept into the conversation -- even though his understanding was really wrong -- it was an important step in moving away from creationism.

for me, the lasting testament to darwin's stupendous originality was this: it wasn't until the 1930s that people actually began to accept his theory, for the previous 60 years, after he published the origin of the species, his understanding of natural selection was just too radical and new.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teger is just pissed because he had a bunch of RIM stock before the iPhone came out. (no hate teger)

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

"Al-Jahiz introduced the concept of food chains…and also proposed a scheme of animanl evolution that entailed natural selection, environmental determinism, and (posssiby) the inheritance of aquired characteristics."

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dude, you know that's a ridiculous argument. you judge someone's importance by how well known they are? by that standard michael jordan, michael jackson and kobe bryant are the most imporant people of the past hundred years.

My point, since you missed it, is that Einstein and Darwin changed the worlds of Physics and Biology, respectively, just as you say Jobs changed the specific world of technology. Yes, Einstein and Darwin certainly have had a lot of influence on technology, medicine, etc, but I cannot fathom how you could say Jobs (i.e., Apple) has not had any influence on our daily lives outside of the phone in our pocket or how music is delivered to our ears.

Did a teacher really just say that Darwin didn't change the world?

Yes and no. It was an area of research that had several followers at the time. During Darwin's first trip to the Galapagos Islands, he shot a bunch of finches and threw them all in a bag. It wasn't until his ornithologist buddies back in England noticed the differences in morphology (e.g., beaks) that Darwin realized there might be a difference between finches on the different islands. Alfred Russel Wallace, in the meantime, was exploring the Indonesian Archipelago, noticing that organisms on certain islands to the south were more like those on Australia, and organisms on islands to the north like those in Asia. Wallace offered to work with Darwin, who refused, arguably 'lifted' some of Wallace's ideas, and published first. Darwin gets all the credit (at least from those outside of evolutionary biology), likely in part because he was 'university-educated' as opposed to Wallace, who was self-taught.

EDIT:
for me, the lasting testament to darwin's stupendous originality was this: it wasn't until the 1930s that people actually began to accept his theory, for the previous 60 years, after he published the origin of the species, his understanding of natural selection was just too radical and new.

Jesus ******* Christ, man. You need to do a lot more reading about the history of evolutionary biology. Just because people didn't (and still don't) accept the Theory of Evolution doesn't mean that Darwin came up with it all on his own.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@shah and zissou. i am probably an idiot but i think you are agreeing with me.

my biggest point was alfred russel wallace who developed the theory of evolution at the same time as darwin and whom darwin admits was a big influence on his work.

-_- do you understand the concept of evolution of ideas? my god i am not saying lamarck's theory was the same as darwin's. -_- a ******* sixth grader can tell you that. what i am saying is that darwin's reading of and subsequent disagreement of lamarck's (and equally grant's) attempts at explaining similarities between species and progression of species at the university of edinburgh is one of the biggest reasons why he attempted to develop his own theory.

to say that darwin made his theory out of total thin air is idiotic. to say that BECAUSE he made his theory out of total thin air darwin's theory was world changing is beyond idiotic.

pixar didn't need to have invented cgi movies to have changed the world. escoffier didn't have to have invented dignified french cooking to have changed the world. christian dior didn't have to invented his new look to have changed the world. i could go on forever. they didn't invent it. does that matter? does that mean they didn't impact the world?

edit: just realized zissou also talked about mr. wallace. and +1 billion to his last paragraph

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads