Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

stop questioning the media I consume and the format in which I consume it!! it's making me uncomfortable and I don't like that!

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

no, sorry, in no sense can you convince me that pixar is a world changing institution.

maybe i have a higher standard of 'changing the world.'

someone like... alexander fleming, who invented antibiotics, changed the world.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

don't you have a blurry mirror pick of you in a hanes vneck to post? I really want to hear about all the designer clothing that's just out of view!

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

What we can say is that without Steve Jobs, we would have had a much less beautiful and artistic world. And I'm not an Apple nuthugger. I'm talking about things as fundamental as fonts. Without Steve Jobs, we'd very conceivably be typing in a single font.

Steve Jobs, R.I.P.

5. APK

APK Senior member

I was just watching that episode of South Park where Stan turned 10 and became jaded about EVERYTHING and none of his friends wanted to hang around him anymore. I think one of them called him "Teger" at one point.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i'm not denying that science like antibiotics or theory of relativity changed the world, but you're denying that art or literature or design are things that can also change the world. in my mind equally influential and equally capable of changing the world

7. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

Almost all of the world that has access to movie theaters has seen or had an opportunity to see a Pixar movie. But, whatever, that isn't really world changing - but they have won an insane amount of Academy Awards, so it is changing to the world of Motion Pictures.

Your argument is pretty stupid, though. Of course he's not Albert Einstein. But he did change the world in his own way. Just because your idea of what a "world changer" is doesn't fit Steve Jobs, doesn't mean you are right. People are living and functioning differently because of his impact, period. No, people don't understand mathematics differently, and people still go hungry at night, but he did have a measurable impact in his own way.

The computer revolution would have happened without him and Bill Gates, but the way we see computers today and the computers we use would be different. I'm not saying someone else wouldn't have stepped up, but things would be different.

I don't think he is just a product of opportunity. He created Apple and brought it to the forefront, he left and it crashed, and he came back and revived it, brought forth the iPhone, etc. The world of smartphones would be totally different without him today.

Your argument that just because these developments (home computers, smartphones, CG films) would have happened without him, so he isn't world changing, is fucking stupid.

Civil Rights would have eventually happened without MLK to lead the movement, but is he not important in that right? And no, I am not comparing Jobs to MLK, just making a point.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

I agree with this - which is what I've said all along. respect him for what his accomplishments are -- but don't deify him, it does a disservice to the impact he had.

(and it says something that I'm typing this on a macbook after checking my iphone)

9. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

well, you see, Fleming didn't pursue the biological properties of penicillin after discovering it (innovator), but 4 years later Gerhard Domagk (analogous to Steve Jobs) lead a team to commercialize and sell it and received nobel price 7 years after this. Find something with potential, repackage, rebrand, sell, market, profit. Force your competitors to step their game up, raise the bar in an industry.

Also, it's hard to make an argument that had Darwin not gone, nobody else would have happened upon the islands and realized a certain pattern existed there. I'm fine with the Einstein example but that's the exception not the rule. 99.99% of people are replaceable, you are not looking at this in the correct manner.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

I say we all pitch in some cash to get teger laid I got five on it.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

so.. you're saying that his impact was localized to specific industries and in specific ways? and that he was importance, but not in a global way? so... what i said in my first post?

12. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Can anybody confirm that Steve Jobs was wearing a bra when he died? I keep hearing this but I don't know what to believe...

Is this just more propaganda from Wozniak and co.?

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

nobody's deifying him. you're just denying that he made a meaningful impact on this world which is honestly mind boggling how someone can even think that. just take a walk down the street and its difficult to not notice the impact of steve jobs

you dont have to have invented the phone to be world changing. scientific discoveries are for a large part not revolutionary discoveries but evolutionary discoveries

14. Teger

Teger Senior member

you should PM me because i don't think this is right, at all! but it'd be a pretty specific/technical explanation why.

15. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Disagree with this.

There are examples of adaptive radiation everywhere, people didn't pick them up for thousands of years. Some things seem quite simple but it takes someone special to actually verbalise them and make a confident judgement.
    Also, the number of people who don't actually understand the fundamental concepts of evolution makes me think it's not quite as simple as we assume. Or maybe just people are idiots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.