• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Just wondering, was that at Recette, or was it somewhere else? Been wanting to try that place. Had my first Dutch baby at Spotted Pig over the weekend. That place is awesome.

I've always been hesitant to try the Dutch baby at the Pig or anywhere really because I refuse to believe that anyone can make a better one than me and I don't want to find out :devil:

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
bows u been to scalini fedeli before ? spotted pig not deserving of michelin rating i make better food...

speaking of restaurants need recs for DC none of that moby dick (going anyway i'm addicted) or 5guys

Last edited:

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
damn they let gingers in nice establishments these days?

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

bows u been to scalini fedeli before ? spotted pig not deserving of michelin rating i make better food...

Yeah out of Ken and April's places I really have no idea why the pig and breslin have stars but the John Dory doesn't (instead).

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

recette! Good call, and dude it was amazing and totally worth every penny. Go there tonight

I've looked at the tasting menu before but I've never tried it. It may be the best priced tasting menu in the city. For what you get—in terms of ingredients and the chef's talent—it seems very reasonable. I've really wanted to check out the Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, but now that Michelin gave it three stars the waiting list is going to be even more insane—and it was already pretty insane. I'll put my name in now to eat some time in mid-2014.

I've always been hesitant to try the Dutch baby at the Pig or anywhere really because I refuse to believe that anyone can make a better one than me and I don't want to find out :devil:

It's soooo good. They serve it with really good (i.e. *****) bacon right on top so you eat it all together.

EDIT:
spotted pig not deserving of michelin rating i make better food...

Just saw this. Dude, if you make better food then you should be raking in the cash with your own spot. Because they make GREAT food.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Just saw this. Dude, if you make better food then you should be raking in the cash with your own spot. Because they make GREAT food.

went with a few people couple years back, tried a bunch of dishes, unimpressed by any of it, did not understand how it was granted a star...
my dishes aren't scalable for opening a restaurant nor do i have interest in operating one, i prefer hosting friends and family though you are welcome any time brother.

Last edited:

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of restaurants need recs for DC none of that moby dick (going anyway i'm addicted) or 5guys

what sort of recs are you looking for? I love to save people from looking at Yelp.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

went with a few people couple years back, tried a bunch of dishes, unimpressed by any of it, did not understand how it was granted a star...
my dishes aren't scalable for opening a restaurant nor do i have interest in operating one, i prefer hosting friends and family though you are welcome any time brother.

I love to eat and love to cook, but I am definitely not a very accomplished cook.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marcel's is good. I prefer that dude Wiedmayer's other restaurant, Brasserie Beck, but nothing wrong with Marcel's. That old ghulkan post recommends kinkeads and old ebbit, which are like Fodor's-level recs--OK, well known, nothing special at all. Where are you staying?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

I love to eat and love to cook, but I am definitely not a very accomplished cook.
some helpful posters in the whatdidyouatelastnight thread, matt makes an art of minimalist plating too
Marcel's is good. I prefer that dude Wiedmayer's other restaurant, Brasserie Beck, but nothing wrong with Marcel's. That old ghulkan post recommends kinkeads and old ebbit, which are like Fodor's-level recs--OK, well known, nothing special at all. Where are you staying?
Donovan House. hopefully is not a slum shack

Last edited:

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

some helpful posters in the whatdidyouatelastnight thread, matt makes an art of minimalist plating too
Donovan House. hopefully is not a slum shack

Ha Donovan house is ok. Watch out for the trashy pool parties on the roof, and the WiFi isn't free. Bed's are comfortable and the Showers are weird Conch shells.

AZCGo.jpg

D0MhE.jpg

Last edited:

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Know the location, can't speak one way or the other about the accomodations. You're close to Churchkey/Birch and Barley, which has probably the best beer selection/program in the city. Also walkable to the aforementioned Beck, which is good for mussels / Belgian beer, and Againn, a scottish / UK place I like (not as nose-to-tail as, say, Spotted Pig). Churchkey is a bar and not too expensive, but the other places can be.

Also in your hood will be Estadio, where I have not been but have heard good things, and Posto, which is good Italian but loud. I don't eat top-notch sushi often, but I like Kushi, a sushi and izakaya place on K st (you'd want to cab unless you like walking). South on 14th you'll find clubs/lounges then either cheap lunch or expensive steak house type establishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads