1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

I guess I don't understand how all saints doesn't have an identity but the half dozen brands copying Carpe do.

3 people like this.
  2. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

Shah, intent has nothing to do with it. That author has been dead for a loooong ass time.

1 person likes this.
  3. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

lane: keeping those damn plebs out of fashunz since 2010

1 person likes this.
  4. Lane

Lane Senior member

how are they copying when they use to work under the label? They all bring their own flavor into it, and basically are already part of that aesthetic.

Also, allsaints has a Julius style leather, carpe diem/augusta looking boots, and the soloist sweaters, with rick beanies, and etc all in one store.

some identity

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  5. jet

jet Senior member

vnecks, sleeveless tees, sleeveless button ups, shorts, light cotton pants, damir shorts, bless shorts etc

ps what happened to that du's penis?

6. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Lane this is a terrible argument and just doesn't make sense.

Thank god the fashion industry doesn't think like you otherwise we'd only be able to purchase shitty raincoats made by Mac and Levis denim.

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

can someone tell me what's original about the shape of carpes? most of them are extremely basic boot styles that are influenced by footwear from the 20s, 30s and 40s. what's 'unique' is the leather treatments..

1 person likes this.
  8. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

If someone with a lisp were to read your thumbs comment aloud, they'd probably hate you right now

3 people like this.
  9. fuji

fuji Senior member

No, you just don't understand the differences between the brands. If you really understood the philosophy behind the designs and like saw them in person you'd see that the black drapey shit made by every obscure japanese brand is completely different.

I paid like $60 for my all saints boots, not a single fuck was given if they don't have an identity whatever that means.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lane

Lane Senior member

well, each of them if i recall correctly had a hand in production of items under carpe diem, and now use their knowledge to produce their own stuff. The woman under individual sentiments makes pretty distinct stuff compared to augusta and MA+. I don't see how they are all just making carpe diem copies.

lol, we arent even discussing black drapey shit. Man, this is as bad as talking about gay marriage.

11. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Obama supports black drapey shit

6 people like this.
  12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

IDGI. Are you saying noone else knew how to produce boots?

I mean, it's not like the knowledge of how to produce these boots was some unknown thing that you had to have worked for Cdiem to understand.

They have no more right to that aesthetic than Allsaints.

agreed.

They're nice though. That's why people buy them. Not because they're the "OG" or any more fucking authentic than anything else. Just because they're fucking nice boots.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i look exactly like that guy. skinnier in the arms as i dont do bicep curls much

you have no idea how much i love you right now (no homo)

can we talk who makes these pants that you're talking about? slight drop crotch with tapered legs?

1 person likes this.
  14. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

Saving up for shoes is the hardest lol

15. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

I have an athletic build I find that buying 1 size up on higher rise heavily tapered jeans/pants and sagging a bit works well

16. Lel

Lel Senior member

In my experiences it just doesn't sell. Goth ninja lite is kind of trendy but most people don't want to pay 60$ for a t-shirt just for "design". They want a logo, or a graphic. The average customer, even one that frequents All Saints, doesn't spend that much on plain basics. People who want cheap tanks get AA and if they're too picky for that there is Silent, there's honestly not *that* much of a market for "middle lower ground goth ninja basics".

In my opinion goth ninja is simply an expensive aesthetic that demands quality. The average customer just finds goth nina-lite distressing cute and trendy but they don't really buy into the aesthetic. In my opinion All Saints just bites on trends, there's just as much, if not more, workwear-lite themes on All Saints than goth ninja (which is really a small portion of all the clothing available). I folded and sold more raw Japanese seldvege jeans than drop crotch pants, which kind of sucked in my opinion because they always fit way too big on me (but looked awesome on my co-workers, so yeah if you're tall, built, and lean).

2 people like this.
  17. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Agreed that works with some bottoms. I do it pretty often.

18. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Christ, you're a miserable little twit. Grow up.

1 person likes this.
  19. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Yeah, I tried on a few of those, and I just ordered some of the sheer jersey loose crews on the cheap. Not sure whether the viscose tees would end up being too sheer for me out in the wild.

Also, little guys should get on the women's track shirts. XL was a little too snug in the chest (I'm a 40) and definitely too short in the arms, but they had them in tri-blend, and they had a relaxed neckline and a nice taper.
    I just cut out a shirt's neckband entirely with a seam ripper. I'll try to post a fit sometime soon.
    I actually dislike leather laces. They're hard to tie, and they always deteriorate really quickly on me, it seems.
    I have both, and there's something about the stretchy panels that feels a little off. On the other hand, some side-zips get a distorted profile from the base of the zipper bulging out at the instep.
    Size down. :teach: :embar: :hide:

20. Lel

Lel Senior member

[​IMG]

Don't care how dated it is, would still love some Dior Homme outfits.

6 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.