1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

it's pretty terrible. the brands are generally boring and the prices are not very good. there are exceptions here and there. if you're into yohji in particular it seems a good spot to find deals lately.

2. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

MyHabit is actually pretty good lately, though.

3. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Unless you're an XS

4. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

pretty bad for a S too :(

5. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Fatties get all the cheap clothes. Worse to be a 38/39 for footwear though. No selection, ever.

6. Meis

Meis Senior member

It's really not that bad, or moreso I feel like it has been about this bad for a while. If you're not lazy you can definitely find some good deals. I got some nice NDC boots for well under $200 a few weeks back and I feel like I remember a bunch of people picking up some Raf derbies a month or two back. I think the perception of gilt being horrible is due to (A) gilt has too many sales and they're mostly recycled from past sales, and (B) people have rediculously high expectations- people seem to expect mid-to-upper tier stuff for rock bottom prices every day / have that Mr P sale mentality and expect that they should be able to always find nice stuff at 80% off.

+1 They've had some really good sales lately... though most of the sales are for really horrible shit. MyHabit has the most random assortmant of sales, which makes sense I guess since it's owned by amazon and amazon sells pretty much anything you can think of.

7. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

story of my life, bro.

1 person likes this.
  8. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

um...if you with gilt since inception, you'd realize our expectations aren't too unfound :\ things used to be a LOTTTT better

9. Meis

Meis Senior member

Are you talking about myhabit? Everything I've bought off there was XS/S and I haven't had much trouble finding smaller sizes in stuff.

10. Meis

Meis Senior member

I have been buying stuff from gilt as long as its existed, I don't remember it being that much better than it is now. The main difference is that they've added in a bunch of additional sales for shitty brands- there used to be maybe half or 1/3 the number of sales per week.

11. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

it's not so much an issue of which brands are being sold. it's more that the items from the desirable brands were of considerably higher value.

12. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

I really only pay attention to things like the Ann and Rick sales, and Ann had something like three XXS items, while the XS rick stuff was largely undesirable. As for Gilt, the items used to be far better, now it's like Raf deadstock and ugly sweaters

13. Meis

Meis Senior member

Do you mean that when there was a sale for a desirable brand there used to be better pieces offered? I can see that... it definitely seems like more and more I'll look ahead and see a sale I'm interest in and then there's nothing offered that I'd want to buy, though for me that might partly be becase I'm looking for less stuff than I used to.

Actually- what seems like more of an issue (for me at least) is that there'll be a nice item but it will only be available in a couple of sizes, even at the beginning of the sale. Example- back in January the Ervell sale included the Field jacket, and at a really good price, but only size medium and up.

14. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

yes stock used to be a lot better. some really rare pieces even made it to gilt.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  15. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I think it was Big Skip who observed a while ago that Gilt is just a product of a specific time-- the very beginning of the retail slump when tons of overstock was everywhere-- and with that time having passed, Gilt faces more of a struggle to justify its existence. So it tries to bring value in different ways, such as "category sales" based around specific needs, sales of non clothing items, revolving-door sales that pop up over and over again. Interesting way to look at it.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
    2 people like this.
  16. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Oh, and on that note, it's pretty great that Yoox continues to do what it does. I've never had a problem spotting interesting pieces to stick in my dreambox (you know, only to have someone else buy them the next day), even when it seems good overstock in general is in dwindling supply.

17. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

I'm kind of waffling in re: whether to start paying attention to this forum again. What is the status quo?

Seriously mang. At least you don't end up with a bunch of useless shit you never wear clogging up your closet. Chocolate for the win.

18. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Saw this laying by the water cooler when I went to fill up my water bottle earlier today. You can't see it from the image, but the publication date is from 1984.
    <P>
    <P>
    [​IMG]
    <P>
    <P>
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior member

i need to get a cool haircut but idk what to get oh no someone help me. its like shoulder length and shaggy atm

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

commes des fuckdown was originally a cdg shirt right? anybody remember what collection?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.