• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must stop buying shoes. Even though i only purchased a handful this year, I can see my wardrobe suffering as a result. No change up in what I wear and the main reason is I don't enjoy spending time at the tailor so things can fit my small frame. I wear about three bottoms and a few colored tees. Suppose this fall I make a few trips to her so she can fix some shirts and work on some pants. I just have boring taste in all trousers and shirting. My main draw is shoes and outerwear. Tried to get my knitwear on but the only pieces that draw me in are about $500 starting price besides the ervell pocket sweater but once again fit rears its ugly head and I fear that the sleeves are going to bunch all over the place.

Will one of those S/S Geller knits though.

P.S. Guys I do not own a cardigan oh noes :(

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of blowing a ridiculous amount of money on merino baselayers, **** cotton.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it weird that I like reading old waywt posts? also, graphic novelty looked way better before he got jacked.

I must stop buying shoes. Even though i only purchased a handful this year, I can see my wardrobe suffering as a result. No change up in what I wear and the main reason is I don't enjoy spending time at the tailor so things can fit my small frame. I wear about three bottoms and a few colored tees. Suppose this fall I make a few trips to her so she can fix some shirts and work on some pants. I just have boring taste in all trousers and shirting. My main draw is shoes and outerwear. Tried to get my knitwear on but the only pieces that draw me in are about $500 starting price besides the ervell pocket sweater but once again fit rears its ugly head and I fear that the sleeves are going to bunch all over the place.

Will one of those S/S Geller knits though.

P.S. Guys I do not own a cardigan oh noes :(

who do you go to for a tailor? all the ones local to me suck.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

I'm thinking of blowing a ridiculous amount of money on merino baselayers, **** cotton.

with estimated price increases this may be a better option for winter. and linen/silk for summer. NCC - no cotton club !

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just dislike the fact that stuff is getting bumped without getting dropped. There will be more and more items not one wants being bumped at prices that don't sell, because sellers aren't required to "pay" for a bump.

Also, what is the name of the piece of fabric you see at just below the collars on some mac coats? Throat latch?

Storm tab.

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wardrobe has gotten progressively smaller. It now consists of

1 all saints leather
3 uniqlo hoodies
1 gieves and hawkes cardigan
2 evisu flannels
1 polo denim shirt
1 pair of uniqlo jeans
2 all saints boots
1 jil sander bluchers
Like 30 or 40 of the exact same uniqlo T shirt.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Storm tab.

I'm not so sure. Its kind of a crescent shaped piece, saw it on a margiela jacket but can't find it now.

Here's a picture:

DSC02963.jpg

Last edited:

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's funny how once you spot small flaws in an outfit, especially suiting/MC, you can hardly bare to look at it. It's all you see.

Edit: did I say funny? I mean maddeningly infuriating.

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shah - For some reason the PM page keeps reloading and won't allow me to message you, but thanks for your reply.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's funny how once you spot small flaws in an outfit, especially suiting/MC, you can hardly bare to look at it. It's all you see.

Edit: did I say funny? I mean maddeningly infuriating.

I've never understood the fixation everyone has with suit fits needing to be perfect-- i.e. only accepting a very specific fit style. Look at Synthese's recent all black SZ style fit. His blazer fit is far from perfect, yet the overall look is great.

I tend to view fit as being just one item out of many. Wearing an interesting ensemble, quality fabrics, colors, and interplay between pieces is just as important. If you succeed well in these other areas, then fit often doesn't matter as much. Most anti-fit looks succeed because they're good in other ways besides just fit. But if you're just wearing Levis, AA tee, and chucks, then the fit had better be damn perfect because the outfit doesn't have much else going for it.

Last edited:

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about Lane's recent comments in WAYWT about fitting in with the college crowd....

When you wear clothing that does not match that of your peers, you're expressing contempt for your own culture and its beliefs. By separating yourself from the common folk, you are expressing your sense of superiority. And most people dislike those who challenge their beliefs.

I cannot help but think this concept is subtly true for the majority of forum members, although many will be unwilling to see it. Lane is simply the less subtle case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads