Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet

jet Persian Bro

You stay at the hard rock or something? Tell me you wouldn't smash.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Interest1, yeah briefly met her. She has Madonna arms (skinny+gym arms), right?

3. Fuuma

Good designers know how to design. Good tailors, not so much. Designer clothes are also usually better made than even top tailored clothes cause good factories have the same guy doing the same stitch all day, everyday while tailors practice different things (good for them). I know this goes against common wisdom but it is mostly true, Saville row tailors can stitch decently but not as good as the people making Jil Sander or Lanvin.

4. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

You got me there: I am attracted to women. I think in this case, the attraction is more aesthetic than sexual. Women are more likely to appear shapely and graceful, whereas guys can easily look like shapeless blobs when wearing a bunch of oversized and/or drapey stuff (IMO, obviously).

You make a good point about the ratio. SZ is essentially a men's forum, so the barriers to entry are higher for women in that they have to accept that they'll comprise a small minority of posters. The women who do join, by this logic, would likely be a self-selected group with a significantly higher level of interest in all things SZ than your random guy who, as you say, woke up and decided to dress "goth ninja".

Speaking of which, what's the etymology of the term "goth ninja"?

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

I think I saw Interest1 in a Starbuck's in SoHO the last time I was in NYC.

Just wanted to share1!!!

6. Fuuma

I don't really see "goth ninja" as being on its way out as much as dark looks being something that have been a constant in fashion since the 80s and coming back in the spotlight every 3-4 yrs or so. If you had to take a long term trend you'd be hard pressed to find a more solid one than that. Urban lumberjack is more of the moment but then "authentic" manly men clothing has more depth than that and cycles with about the same speed as goth ninja.

7. Fuuma

All I mean is that I was at the NYC SZ magazine launch/Atelier party. Laugh all you want but the crowd was much better than what I anticipated (asian virgins who used to connect nike but now collect CCP and are waaaaaaaaay akward).

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

I wasn't mocking you - i really do think i saw her at a starbucks in soho.

anyway ive met many, many sf people are some are cool, and some are awkward.

9. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

a lot of fake gucci/chanel/lv bags too; I went in july and it suprised me how 'dressed up' women got in the clubs while their boys just bummed around in stripey tees, baggy jeans and junky loafers.

How many hooker cards did you get? I hit around 200.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Lanvin suits are pretty shit. Unless they've improved in the last year or so then they're not that good quality. I know they're made by Caruso, but the quality is much worse then that of Caruso mainline or other RLBL, which is also made by Caruso. Fabric is also from what i've seen pretty shit. Have to disagree with you on pretty much the whole post.

11. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I see the whole lumber-workwear-icana as a slightly different animal than goth ninja. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the former start out in the realm of mid-level streetwear, whereas the latter came from runway designers and fashion houses?

Also, I see workwear - at least among the unwashed masses in America - as to some extent a reflection of the economic climate. As the job market grew worse and worse, the "manly man" identity provided a sense of security that employment, once taken for granted, could not.

12. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Crossfit

Wore my tiger fleece for the first time today, so incredibly warm

13. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

:facepalm:
    Americans don't have jobs so they go out and buy $200 chambray shirts?

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This type of analysis is shit. I rejoiced when I heard Simon Doonan say the same. Fashion designers don't design with the economic climate in mind. Retail buyers do become more conservative. However, the whole idea that people turn to the idea of the "manly man" IN FASHION because the economic climate is bad, is preposterous.

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Don't have an in-depth trend family tree on hand, but I'd say the Americana resurgence was in pretty full force before the streetwear scene really hopped on it--altho they're certainly not unrelated.

The goth ninja thing, as I understood it, is still related to music/art scenes from the 80s, rather than really coming from big design houses (hard to define anyway).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.