Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I just realized that as much as I like sweaters, I almost never wear the ones I have. Even in winter I get too hot wearing them. I have an amazing DBSS beige gradient sweater that always receives compliments, yet I wore it zero times last winter. Every time I put it on, I started sweating and ended up removing it 15 minutes later. How jet can have 200 knits and live in SoCal?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

2. BB1

BB1 Senior member

If you compare the best male posters to the best female posters, then there is not much difference. There is simply a far wider variety of guys than there are girls posting there. It is a very unusual women who posts to SZ, but many of the men appear to be regular guys who woke up one morning and decided they wanted to dress "goth ninja". The result is not pretty.

Another factor is that goth ninja is on its way out. Over time it is becoming increasing difficult to wear these styles without looking strange. However women will be judged less harshly when attempting this style since society is more accepting of women wearing unusual clothing.

Lastly you may be attracted sexually to the women. There are so few women on the forum that they come off as a novelty, similar to having an island with 100 men and 1 woman. This often results in the woman's outfits being viewed more favorably.

3. Lane

Lane Senior member

hasnt been goth ninja been "on the out" for a while now. Although people consider rick to be quite mainstream now?

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I doubt it. I know the rep and she's very upfront about things being "wait and see." I can't imagine her saying them, "Well, we're very specific about what and how a retailer can post online, even with retailers that have sold us for the past several seasons. But yeah, with you guys being totally new to us we're willing to let you put the line up like any other and sell it however you want."

Maybe Shoreman heard differently when he was with them. But again, having gone through this myself I think it was more miscommunication than RRL changing terms after their order. Like I said before, it's not exactly an industry secret how controlling they are.

5. Lane

Lane Senior member

i need a fucking blazer, cant find a nice older season rick one anywhere.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i dont understand the point of buying suits or suiting clothes from a designer. if you know what you want find a guy who can make one for you and have it be fitted to you.

7. transient

transient Senior member

Can just any tailor just easily replicate an entire cut?

8. Lane

Lane Senior member

damn, malakas poisoned this whole forum.

9. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

This.

Also, we need to think about fabric, hardware and a whole bunch of other things that would not be easily replicable by a tailor - no matter how good.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^^right. cuz malakas is the first person to have anything made custom for him :facepalm:

you're an idiot. just putting it out there.

clearly the statement wasn't meant to be taken to the extreme, but if you find a good patient tailor than i would imagine you could achieve whatever look you're going for

fine. most looks you are going for. i dont think you can find a tailor willing to try ccp seamless edges or has the exact same fabrics that schneider uses, but if you're looking for a certain cut i'm sure a good tailor can do so.

11. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Fair enough point actually when you put it like that. But you also have to remember that not everyone knows exactly what look or variation on the standard suit forms they want until they see a designer do it. Once seen, might still not be easy to get a tailor to replicate it unless they can actually purchase the piece and have the tailor just outright copy it.

If one does know exactly what they want though, or close enough, then yeah, I agree that it can be a waste to spend mad $$ on something you can describe very well to a good (and as you said, patient) tailor

12. APK

APK Senior member

Holy god, H&M trunks are designed with a crotch that is like a cotton clasp around the junk. Do not like.

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I don't know the details but I do know the rep they were dealing with at one time was not a lady so it's possible they got mixed signals. TBS has had some RRL for a couple of seasons; they weren't totally new to it. I think they expected the restrictions to be similar to those for EG and visvim, i.e. you can post what you have but you can't click-to-order; or at least post pictures of the racks on their blog to let people know they could order. I understand their frustration and I'd assume they were pretty up front about their expectations, as they said, it's not likely they could sell through to walk-ins; Malmo is just not that big a market. But, this is all speculation.

The road to hell is paved with the good intentions of custom tailors. (Most tailors have a pretty narrow range of stylistic capabilities, and narrow access to fabric/raw materials. Even very good tailors who say they don't have a house cut still have a default or ideal, and they rarely stray too far from that.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

14. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

he has a toilet in his closet, or a closet in his washroom. either way, its weird

15. 1969

1969 Senior member

Fabric is the biggest obstacle imo. A lot of these more interesting fabrics are out of japan and there is no "fabric book" for them at your tailor in suburban Cleveland. If you have access to the fabric yourself try bringing it to your tailor to discover obstacle #2.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.